It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart's $250 Billion Commitment to America

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
There's no mafia?

No. You gots a problem wit dat?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I do think it's good, if they mean it.

I heard an interesting interview with the founder of Costco some years back, who talked about their corporate mission - they pay well, they appreciate their employees, and they make sure the employees know it. I've never been a member, but they are far superior, in my opinion.

Still - if the Waltons are ready to step up and be fair and honest - then good. I just hope the CEO and upper management are aware of - and attending to - the promises made in the ad and other places. What is the follow-up?

Gus, can you tell us how your mom views it?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Well then, we're all good, glad to hear it!

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Exactly! I don't mind having imported products...

Same, as long as it is quality which the bulk of Chinese products are not.

Perfect example. Wifey goes to Blood Bath and Beyond and gets a 'stainless steel' drain board for $29.99 and uses a coupon. She feels pretty good because it was inexpensive AND she got a discount. It lasted about a month before it begins to rust. She takes it back, gets a new one and it does the same thing. After the third one I chucked it then went and found an American made product that used actual stainless steel for $79.95. It is now 4 years old.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

No. You gots a problem wit dat?

Nope. Just confusion. Thought it was a fact. Russian, Italian, New York, Kansas City, Chicago.....

so, those days are over, then?

Wow. Who knew? Too many movies and tv shows, I guess. Didn't know they were like vampires - fictitious.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

so, those days are over, then?

*sigh*

My Joke---------------------------------------------------->
----------------Your Head-------------------------

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Right?

I am working now as a review-writer for products like BB&B sell......
I'm learning all about the technology, the quality differences, the manufacturing variability, etc. My dad being an engineer (at one time Learjet .... Bill Lear's 'right-hand man') who has traveled all over the world learning state of the art technologies in aviation, plastics, paper, etc.....

quality is worth the money.

That's why I buy used Hondas and Toyotas - and keep them running. And yeah, I like rice.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I do think it's good, if they mean it.

It's just that, knowing Wal-Mart's history, I don't believe that they mean it.

I heard an interesting interview with the founder of Costco some years back, who talked about their corporate mission - they pay well, they appreciate their employees, and they make sure the employees know it. I've never been a member, but they are far superior, in my opinion.

Yeah, I've heard only good things about this company. I don't think I've met or read an interview that has EVER rated this company poorly. I remember trying to get a job for this place. It's TOUGH because everyone wants one. They don't have openings for very long. Plus turnover is low.

Here is a good article comparing Costco to Wal-mart: The High Cost of Low Wages

Still - if the Waltons are ready to step up and be fair and honest - then good. I just hope the CEO and upper management are aware of - and attending to - the promises made in the ad and other places. What is the follow-up?

Gus, can you tell us how your mom views it?

Call me when Wal-mart doesn't cringe in horror at the mention of the word "union".

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Well then, we're all good, glad to hear it!

Yea, something like "country of origin" is too unrelated of a descriptor to a product's quality to disqualify my buying it. I care about more nuanced things pertaining individually to the actual company itself.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Well, you know. I'm not a Joyzee girl.
But I do own a cast-iron skillet, and know how to use it, buster!

edit on 8/10/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Oh hey, I'd rather have authentic Italian leather shoes than a Payless Cashways or Walmart knock-off.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Oh hey, I'd rather have authentic Italian leather shoes...

Italian leather shoes are the way to go.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Well it's not so much about price either. There is high quality merchandise that is cheap and low quality merchandise that is expensive (again I'm looking at you certain tech company with cheap parts and all price markup...).

Sometimes it could be about brand name, but that's only because knockoffs tend to be lower quality (if only slightly). Like I said my choices are nuanced and apply on a per company basis. It's hard to nail down specific things that would disqualify me from purchasing at the store. Though Wal-Mart has made that list for a plethora of reasons.

Like I never approved of Gamestop's resale policy on video games, because it hurts game developers by putting all the money into Gamestop's pocket instead of the game developers who deserve the money more than Gamestop does. But it never stopped me from shopping there and even buying and reselling used games for instance. Though, now that I can purchase the games on my system and download them there I'm happier.
edit on 10-8-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I understand.

In fact, many "name brand" units are still made in facilities that may or may not be up to par. For example, "Honeywell" - a household standard. But they grant licenses to other companies who then farm out the manufacturing to any of various Asian manufacturing facilities...those plants are supposed to follow the specs, but that doesn't mean the employees (or the equipment they have to use) are top quality.

So yeah - you have to be careful.

If you like a Dyson product, don't buy the knock-off copy. Buy the real thing. Or buy 50 of the knock offs.
If you want Honda quality, buy a Honda made in a facility wasn't previously a run-down GM plant. Same staff, different specs - doesn't change output quality.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Now we are seeing eye-to-eye.

My buddy/co-worker is a Chinese guy on a work visa and tells me about all the knockoff plants in his native country. For instance that awful tech corporation that I'm refusing to give screen time to naming them has to battle against plenty of plants where you can get all SORTS of knockoffs. Everything from a white case with scraps of paper inside to a fully functional model only minus the official logo (guess how much cheaper these high quality knock offs run too).

PS: They have knockoff factories for EVERYTHING in China.
edit on 10-8-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Yup. I can only afford them when they are on clearance or consignment or in a thrift store (surprisingly large numbers of the affluent give their entire wardrobes to thrift stores every year -- or when someone dies, or the things are outgrown, or whatever....thrift stores in good neighborhoods have GREAT stuff at a fraction of the price of even Walmart's crap!)

Craigslist, ebay, etc - I don't mind adopting someone else's great quality stuff. I actually am glad that it's already been tested, used, and tried out - and survived long enough to be rehomeable!

Yeah - "champagne taste beer budget" - that's my 'indian name' (Used to be "running late gotta fly", but now I don't have to rush around so much).

So - I prowl clearance sales, closing-forever liquidation sales in stores (the real kind, not the "Annual" close-out like furniture stores do), thrift shops and snooty zip code garage sales....
and I do fine.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Yup. I can only afford them when they are on clearance...

If you make the Ney York meet up there is a outlet mall with all the top Italian designers nearby that has their pieces for up to 90% off.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Nice!

We have some outlet malls here, too - even designer ones like OP and Tommy Hilfiger (not my styles), Eddie Bauer, Land's End, Brooks Brothers, Burberry, and more midrange stuff like Levi's and Saks and Nordstrom, etc.....

Hallmark is HQ here - and they used to have "Halls" department store (very ritzy stuff) in their Crown Center.....still, thrift shops have better prices. I've bought many a leather coat or quality drapery or tarnished silver utensil or antique end table or dresser at a thrift shop - and either use them as is, or (for garments) cut them up to make other things out of them.....

The most I've ever paid for a pair of shoes was 20 years ago, I had a pair of buffalo-hide mocassin boots made for me - they had sheepskin insteps and vibram souls, life-time guarantee. They are still holding up. And that was a local artisan.

Recently I bought 1/4" real slate tiles from a guy down in the ritzy burbs - 35 sq ft for $50.
That's how I roll. Bought some cedar tongue and groove planks at Lowes - 28 sq ft for $1.60 (95% mark-down HAH!)

ReHome is also a great source for building materials and paint and tools - Habitat for Humanity's retail outlets.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Nice!

We have some outlet malls here, too - even designer ones like OP and Tommy Hilfiger and Levi's and Saks and Nordstrom, etc.....even so, thrift shops have better prices.

I was referring to the big Italian/French fashion houses. $800-900 shoes for under $100, $500 jeans for $50, stuff like that.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Ohhh...

like in Town & Country magazine. Sweaters that cost $1,200, or shoes that are $700.....

yeah.....

no, that will forever be out of my league, I'm afraid.
I like to look at the pictures though! My daughter had a VOGUE magazine - the getups those women walk around in!! Such a display would get them locked up in the psych ward around here......

never been a fashion hound. I know a young woman from Manhattan, though who is all about that. Latest fashion. Rooftop parties. Penthouse apartments. Manor houses. Citibank dad.

I'm much more of a Levis, Redwings, Catalina, Cabella's kinda gal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join