It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart's $250 Billion Commitment to America

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: pavil

What? Trump made them do it?

Sources and data please.

See I got you all riled up.....relax, it was a joke. It's Bush's fault R. ammul

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Okay, whew. I was worried that you actually heard that somewhere like Infowars or something.
LOL!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

or from The Donald himself! ....."Did you see that WalMart is going to buy "Made In America" products? Did you see that? Guess who gave them that idea? I did! They heard me! They're going to bring back all those manufacturing jobs from places like China. They are even selling these "Make America Great Again" hats! Of course, mine are made in America, but for those of you who can't afford one, you can go to Wal Mart and pick one up.... probably made in China...they don't say.... but it does say "Make America Great Again", and that's what we want, right?? Right??... well, their wages are still too high, but they're a great company... and great companies listen to great ideas! My idea about bringing jobs back to America!!!"

Ok, now for the real stuff...

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has been good to America’s Great Horned Owl. Not the real bird -- the plastic one.

Any manufacturing revival will come in small steps, Thompson said. “You may not have companies coming back and building facilities that employ 5,000 people, but if you have 100 different smaller companies that are adding 50 jobs right there, that adds up to your same number,” she said.

For the individuals and communities affected, even a few dozen jobs have a meaningful impact, said Cindi Marsiglio, Wal-Mart’s vice president of U.S. manufacturing. She says it’s tough to move the needle nationwide, but that she’s confident Wal-Mart will eventually meet its job-creation goals.

The U.S. has lost about 5 million manufacturing jobs since trade with China accelerated around the turn of the century, so Wal-Mart’s efforts so far are a drop in the ocean. But even that is enough to put the retailer on top of this particular league. In second place is Ford with 3,000 jobs returned over six years, according to the Reshoring Initiative, followed by General Electric and General Motors with 2,000 each.

Walmart Is Still Making Bogus Made In USA Claims Says Ad Watchdog

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: desert

le sigh. Why is it so hard to hold on to the slightest bit of hope?? Dammit!

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Because to abandon all hope is to either die or enter hell. .....'All hope abandon ye who enter here'

We can safely abandon a specific hope, once that hope has been fulfilled, but then we must grab on to the next hope. It is like crossing the monkey bars, going for the next hope.

What if Wal Mart had not started their program? What would we have to build on, to work with?

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Okay, I see. Thanks guys. I'm fine with not buying it. I appreciate you all straightening me out.

I'm an optimist, and tend to see the good things more than the bad....one of the reasons I'm here is to keep myself grounded and balanced and knowing what others think. LOL!!! Believe it or not.

Maybe your here to keep us negative nancys balanced!

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

well said couldn't agree more

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

They got enormous by putting mom-and-pop-shops out of business.

I don't know where you are from, but, where I live the "mom-and-pop-shops" did a pretty good job of putting themselves out of business. Monday thru Friday at 5:00 PM they practically rolled up the sidewalks. Everything closed at that time. It was kind of hard to go to their shops when they closed at the same time that you got off work. Saturdays were no help only a few places were open and that was only from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. There was no selection and the attitude was "if you don't like it, shop somewhere else". Well people did shop elsewhere. I'm not even going to go into the parking issue.

Walmart didn't kill the "mom-and-pops", malls did. Walmart only gets the blame because they are the unions favorite whipping boy. It isn't Walmart that is keeping the unions out, it is Walmart's employees.

posted on Aug, 8 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I'm ashamed to admit I've been shopping at Walmart recently. A couple weeks ago my apartment was broken into and damn near everything was stolen, from electronics to things like plates/dishes to the downright weird like toilet paper and a used toothbrush. Not having much money, I've replaced most of my stuff that I need right now either through Walmart or through thrift shops which are basically just used Walmart goods. I noticed that a few items are starting to carry Made in America tags on them, but it's only sort of Made in America. What's happening is they're producing the items overseas, shipping them to the US, then assembling and selling them. The vast majority of work involved in an item still happens overseas.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Don't be ashamed - I sometimes go there, too. Just not often, and I do read labels.
I'm so sorry to hear about your home robbery! Bastardos!

BOO!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

...sorry to hear about your home robbery! Bastardos!

Wait. 'Bastardos' is Spanish. Are you saying Mexicans robbed him? Build that wall! Build that wall! Trump! Trump!

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Good for Wal-mart I guess. I still don't much like the company, but we'll see over time. That being said, I have no loyalty to what country a good is manufactured in. If the product works as intended and I'm satisfied with my purchase then its good enough for me.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I thought it was Italian! Ever seen Boondock Saints? Yeah - the mobster guy. Screaming at his victim in Italian.
LOL!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Does fair treatment of workers factor into that, or is slave labor and sweatshops A OK so long as you're happy with the product? I'm asking because I saw no concern for human rights in your criteria.

Honestly like you I'm less concerned where a product comes from so long as it's not exploitative in nature.

I don't agree with country jumping purely to exploit people.

I'm all for the entire world being brought up to code, I'm against the whole world being dragged down through exploitation though.
edit on 8/10/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I thought it was Italian!

It is both but Italian did not work with my joke.

Trump likes the Mafia (which does not exist).

edit on 10-8-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude once thought he had beer but it turned out to be Natty Ice.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Does fair treatment of workers factor into that, or is slave labor and sweatshops A OK so long as you're happy with the product? I'm asking because I saw no concern for human rights in your criteria.

Honestly like you I'm less concerned where a product comes from so long as it's not exploitative in nature.

I don't agree with country jumping purely to exploit people.

I'm all for the entire world being brought up to code, I'm against the whole world being dragged down through exploitation though.

Yes. This is why I said I still don't like Wal-Mart. My dislike stems from how they've been treating their workers over the years (the worst offense I remember off the top of my head is when they used to lock their overnight staff in the buildings overnight without the key to leave).

I may also factor in douchebaggery from the company as well. Like over charging for a device made from simple computer parts all because you seal the entire product inside the case (and the only tool you can use to open it is sold by that company). I don't buy from that company either.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Hey, incidentally, did you know you're on the cover of Nat Geo this month?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

There's no mafia?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Hey, incidentally, did you know you're on the cover of Nat Geo this month?

Duh, of course. Who do you think handles Masonic Media Manipulation?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Exactly! I don't mind having imported products - I remember when I was a kid it was a rarity to be given a gift from some distant land - carved antelope from central africa, or hand-loomed central american textiles, or Native American silver and turquoise jewelry.

I'm fine with those things - fine Italian shoes and fabrics, Morrocan tiles, Dead Sea lotions, etc....

but make sure everybody is earning a living, and not made into slaves.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join