It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Judge Throws Out Same-Sex Marriage Suit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Nancy Wilson and Paula Schoenwether, who have been together for 27 years and who live in Tampa, were married in Massachusetts in July. They wanted the State of Florida to recognize their marriage, but state law expressly forbids same-sex marriage. It was the contention of the women that the law discriminated on the basis of sex, but the judge ruled that the law treated men and women equally. The attorney who filed the suit is prepared to take the case to the supreme court.

Tallahassee.com
A federal judge Wednesday upheld the federal law letting states ban same-sex marriages, dismissing a lawsuit brought by two women seeking to have their Massachusetts marriage recognized elsewhere.

Attorneys for conservative groups hailed the ruling by U.S. District Judge James S. Moody as an important first step in upholding the federal law, but said they anticipated lengthy appeals.

Several federal cases nationwide have been filed challenging the Defense of Marriage Act. But Wednesday's ruling is believed to be the first time a federal judge has ruled on a direct challenge to the 1996 law.

"This is a legal shot heard round the world," said Miami attorney Ellis Rubin, who filed the lawsuit on behalf of a Tampa couple. "But we are not giving up. Certainly, there are a lot of things in this ruling that I am encouraged by."

In his ruling, Moody ruled in favor of filings by former Attorney General John Ashcroft that the government has a legitimate interest in allowing states to ban same-sex marriages.

The plaintiffs, Nancy Wilson and Paula Schoenwether, a couple for 27 years, were married in Massachusetts in July. They wanted their union recognized in Florida, where state law specifically bans same-sex marriages.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Surely, same-sex marriage is the hot-button issue of the millennium and we will be hearing of these battles for a long time to come. It is my belief that the marriage institution is so important and the visceral reaction to homosexuality among the majority of homo sapiens so strong, that the long-term effect of the same-sex marriage battle will be a diminution of homosexual rights.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: La. Court OKs Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
If Being Gay is alright in the eyes of God then.....

[edit on 05/1/19 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   

visceral reaction to homosexuality among the majority of homo sapiens so strong

I agree with you on this.

The question is 'Will people go with their animal instincts or use their intellect and rise above it?'

Are we a species of inspiration that looks to the future or one that wallows in the past?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I would have thought Article IV Section I of the Constitute "Full Faith and Credit" would make it so that all states had to at least honor the marriage if it was performed in a state that had no provisions against same-sex marriage. Oh well, it still amazes me that people are so hung up on this issue when there are many more pressing and important issues like the Police Action in Iraq with its lack of planning and accountablity. Is it not petty to hang up on the life of two people when every day handfuls of our soldiers die with no end in sight to the battle?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by slank
The question is 'Will people go with their animal instincts or use their intellect and rise above it?'

Are we a species of inspiration that looks to the future or one that wallows in the past?

When the going gets tough, emotion and superstition always win. Remember the bell curve. Sixty-seven percent of the population fall with in the first standard deviation from the mean. You know what I mean?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Yes, sadly enough i know what you mean.

But I think the Human species actually runs slightly counter to that basic tendency. We are the species that reaches beyond ourselves, to more than human, or rather better humans at least when not pressed.

We have vastly more cerebral capacity than is required for subsistence existence. Maybe people will grasp the idea that if population growth continues unabated we will certainly destroy our life support system on this planet. Over fishing to extinction Ocean stocks, Using up all petroleum & fertilizers based on them are things that can not continue at an ever accellerating pace with a system collapse in the future.

Intellectuallly, non-reproductive coupling helps to reduce the growth of population.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Thanks Grady, you beat me to posting this as a new item,
however i did post this as a continuation of the discussions on this threadgay marriage amendment not comming soon
join in people!!

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   
As far as I can tell the court ruling was correct. It was not sexual discrimination. In point of fact Banning Gay marriage is not discrimination. Gays have just as much right to marry under law as I do rght now. A gay man has the right to marry a woman just as I do.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
From my experiance it seems Gay marriage is an extremist movement trying to be portrayed discrimination case and civil rights issue even tho it is not. Too often I ask them to explain it to me and they repond "You just don't understand"

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
If you really want to melt thier minds try explaining it from a non religious, socio-cultural position like discussed on this thread
The homosexual agenda
politics.abovetopsecret.com...'

Slank says,

Intellectuallly, non-reproductive coupling helps to reduce the growth of population.

LOOK SLANK IM GOING TO AGREE WITH YOU!
but
when i can see many other ways to accomplish this, or the conservation of resources to support the population,
i cant say that expousing gay marriage as a solution to population control is the best plan.

[edit on 21-1-2005 by CazMedia]

top topics

join