It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today's Music Ain't Got The Same Soul, Seems Now More Than Ever

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
last night in my bud's halfoldman thread Bachelor Party Music
i was searching my mind and the internet for old tunes that rock and good for partying. it got me to thinking about how much music has changed and in my opinion not for the better.

much of what you hear is bubble gum rock, tiny bopper, no talent hacks that rely on autotune or computer distorted voice tracks. then covers of others music, like a lot of country music covering rock songs. of course there are some artist whose repertoire consist of mostly cover songs,( like Linda Ronstadt which did a bunch of them and put her stamp on em. Roy Orbison said, i which i could find the quote, the songs belongs to her now) that very little talent is used to write lyrics, compose the music, and play the instruments. sure there are some that do and might have some talent,( like lady GaGa, i was shocked to see and hear her with Tony Bennett) but they fall into the trend of the past decade or so and put out a bunch of sh@@.

so i decided to make this thread. for this thread 60's,70's,80's,early 90's music. any genre , well lets stick to rock, ( heavy metal, classic, some Metal, none of the death thrashing kind alternative, some punk but the mellower stuff, country rock,southern rock, rock a billy just about any thing that falls in there), soul, rhythm and blues, some pop, and some country (but not to much of the crying in your beer kind), please no hop hop, or rap, there are some that are good but most is just no talent trash.

so to start this thread off right, the song from which the title of this thread comes from.
oh and please limit the number of songs to two per post and post as many times as you like, i've found that more than that in a post tends to make my browser run slow here.

and right off the bat i do what i asked not to be done, but i wanted to show one of the better covers.

edit on 6-8-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I love it when someone can break their own rules!
Here's one for ya HoundDog!

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
seeing how i mentioned Linda Ronstadt and Roy Orbison
here are their Blue Bayou's

hers is much better

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

damn i haven't heard that song in years, thanks.
heres another skynryd.

and the Outlaws, one of ronnie's step children

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

The Metallica version of "Turn the Page" is certainly better. It feels like they filled all those empty spaces in the song. Nothing wrong with Bob's one, it's just like the song was made to be played heavier. I loved it.

Today's music lacks of complexity and I don't like the way they dress.
edit on 6-8-2016 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

cookie cutters, each and every one. music should have high lows, and every thing in between.
and most do dress funky don't they.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This is what we should expect from an entire generation that has been sheltered from the real world.

They haven't lived life. There's nothing real behind the music anymore.

Another casualty of Generation Snowflake.

"No, honey, your voice is beautiful."

*under breath* "Dave, get the AT ready. She can't hit a note to save her life."

"Sounds great, baby!"

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

touchy feely education, and government, has brought that attitude.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Don't shoot me!
(low quality video)
I don't want to hog your thread with Southern Rock.
I was, IMO, blessed by having a brother 10 years my senior and when he returned from his military service (80s) he insisted on deprogramming me and music was part of that process. It spanned all genres but southern rock was a constant.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

We used to have some falsettos in music. Now most of these guys want to sound girly and ambiguous.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
great tune
hey no problem, i was born and raised in the panhandle of Florida, southren rock was our bread and butter.
saying that here's two that's could be called the great white north rock,

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

yep the little whinny bastards, can't stand to her that sh@@.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

here's another blackfoot tune.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I have a hard time imagining anyone 20 years from now putting on the latest popular music and thinking "this is amazing"

50 years from now I can see some kid hearing All Along the Watchtower, House of the Rising Sun, Pink Floyd, Zepplin, Sabbath, The Beatles, The Joshua Tree by U2 , Disintegration by The Cure, insert other music from the 60s,70s, 80s and early 90s and saying "this still holds up" ..

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

hahaha!

Just thought of Bob, Doug and Geddy Lee!

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
i know that i was kinda raggin on covers, but here are two that i like. and again i think it's been done by a bunch of people.

and again i think it's been done by a bunch of people. but this is the best to me.
i saw the guys in mobile al with zztop in 79/ 80 my sr yea in high school. damn good show.

this is all who have done covers of it.

Cover versions and other uses

"Oh Well" has been covered on record by many other artists and groups, including Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Gordon Giltrap, Joe Jackson, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, The Rockets, Big Country, Tribe of Gypsies, Ratt, Tourniquet, McCoy, John Parr, Oh Well and Haim. The song was also played live by Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes and released on their 2000 album Live at the Greek. Australian singer-songwriter Rick Springfield performed a version of the song in July 2013 for The A.V. Club's A.V. Undercover series.[6] Also, this song has been covered by former Fleetwood Mac member Bob Welch on his 2008 Greatest Hits & More album. eels included a cover of the song on the bonus-disc edition of their 2014 album The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett, and it is also found on the 2012 album Fifteen by Colin James.

An excerpt from the song can be heard in the Doctor Who story Spearhead from Space. This was filmed around the same time the single was in the charts, and transmitted in January 1970. The song was omitted from later video releases of the story, but finally reintroduced on the DVD release in 2011.

The beginning of the song from Live in Boston (Fleetwood Mac album) can be heard in the second season of the television show Fargo.

Part II was also sampled by The KLF for their Chill Out album.

The opening guitar riff in the 1979 AC/DC song "Beating Around the Bush" has been referred to by journalist Phil Sutcliffe as being "almost a tribute ...a reflection, I hesitate to say a copy" of Oh Well.[7][8]
Cover versions and other uses

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

damn right, people need to see their poisoning their minds with this crap being peddled as music today and start making real music again.
i know there are some out there. we got a station down here in ft.walton that plays all kinds of tunes.
i know some of it is current music, some is trash but it's still music written and sown in the old school way.

iHeartRadio 99 rock

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

see my sig, i think that is just about the best album made.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join