It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Drawing Contest --UPDATED....contest linked

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: swanne

Categories? Tough. I'm thinking different types of medium like pen & ink, watercolour, pencils, oils and gouache with no set subject.

Or maybe set the subject? Comics, famous faces, landscapes, tattoos and something like *wildcard* where anything goes?

These are only ideas aimed at defining the focus because I know how hard it is to just come up with something.

I'm thinking any categories could be accepted, and the subject would be the theme of the contest.

For instance say we choose something like "dragon" as a theme, the members can then submit anything such as a pencil drawing of a dragon, or a virtual drawing of a dragon, or even a painting - as long as it's not, say, the photo of the city's dragon sculpture. It has to be something they created themselves.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Exactly.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
I'm thinking any categories could be accepted, and the subject would be the theme of the contest.

For instance say we choose something like "dragon" as a theme, the members can then submit anything such as a pencil drawing of a dragon, or a virtual drawing of a dragon, or even a painting - as long as it's not, say, the photo of the city's dragon sculpture. It has to be something they created themselves.

We've done a couple of theme contests before...they worked pretty well, and allowed members to do their thing.....with only the theme and the TAC as structure.

Good idea

edit on Sat Aug 6 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed tag

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

So.....not limited to an avatar or background....or not about avatar/backgrounds at all?

Right. Not necessarily about avatars at all.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Might even get me to pick up some pencils again.
I need a good excuse, this sounds like one.

Same bro.

BTW, I seen some of your work. Really nice.

Its a shame its not respected as it was before computers. It's why I walked away.
edit on 6-8-2016 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Oh please be a dragon theme!!

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Dragons would be very cool, I'd enjoy that a lot.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

So.....not limited to an avatar or background....or not about avatar/backgrounds at all?

But it needs to be original work.

So, that would mean no photoshopping of artwork, correct?
Or?

Dragons has been mentioned as a theme....anyone else have a suggestion?
edit on Sat Aug 6 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   
In MY case it would boil down to subject and HOW I put it up.(Computer idiot)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

We've done a couple of theme contests before...they worked pretty well, and allowed members to do their thing.....with only the theme and the TAC as structure.

I almost forgot: Unlike avatar contests, I would suggest that each art submissions be in their own dedicated op & threads, just like in writing contest. The op contains the submitted art; one entry per members, so each members make their thread (with a [DC2016] or something like that in their title).

That way all submissions would stand equal chances of gathering points, unlike the avatar contest where arts on page 1 were more likely to gain attention than art on page 22.

edit on 7-8-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

I am working on a thread about how to put up pictures on post-2014 ATS.

Should be ready in a few days. If you're interested, I'll send you the link to the thread via U2U as soon as it's ready, that way you won't miss it.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

But it needs to be original work.

So, that would mean no photoshopping of artwork, correct?
Or?

Dragons has been mentioned as a theme....anyone else have a suggestion?

Boy that's tougher. Some artists do rendering with other works but copyright issues can be tricky. You generally need their permission to incorporate someone's work into your own.

There are lots of graphic programs for computer art and I think that's still art. Not my medium per se, but plenty of perfectly original and beautiful art done that way. I work with Adobe on occasion myself, just not usually my first choice. The sheep in my avatar, for example, was all done in Adobe Photoshop with a wacom tablet (although I couldn't get the whole thing into the avatar).

I think photoshop is valid, just has to be original or have permission on incorporated work. Just grabbing images from the internet is actually legally problematic (although lots and lots of people do it), unless they are stock photos or public domain. For an avatar I can see letting that slide, but not for artwork for a contest.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
good suggestion.....

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Missing things is now a skill for me so yes please do.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I think photoshop is valid, just has to be original or have permission on incorporated work. Just grabbing images from the internet is actually legally problematic (although lots and lots of people do it), unless they are stock photos or public domain. For an avatar I can see letting that slide, but not for artwork for a contest.

Yeah, I can see where this type of contest is 180 degrees from what we have in avatars.

posted on Aug, 7 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
This sounds interesting.
I've got art posted in the art forum (or hobbies, whatever it's called)

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Any other feedback or ideas for this suggested contest?

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Is this still happening? I say no photoshop or any digital media. simply old school pen or pencil or colored pencils etc. Take it back to the foundation!! Where no chargers or electricity are needed!!

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Instead of limiting the themes to 'dragons' ect. Wouldn't it be more interesting if the theme was more of an abstract idea? The artists of ATS would be able to incorporate their drawings with more variety based on perspectives and this will make it more interesting and thoughtful to the ATS viewers.

posted on Aug, 9 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
Instead of limiting the themes to 'dragons' ect. Wouldn't it be more interesting if the theme was more of an abstract idea? The artists of ATS would be able to incorporate their drawings with more variety based on perspectives and this will make it more interesting and thoughtful to the ATS viewers.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Something like, instead of just dragons have a theme like "Here be Dragons" or... something. Give people room to play with a metaphor if they want or do a dragon if they want. Just spit-balling here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join