It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This election is tearing our family apart!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: HoldMyBeer

No. You must have a very argumentative family. You seem to enjoy it. You enjoy it so much you want others to tell you about their similar experiences?

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
happening in our family too to a lesser extent. we're all pretty close and have agreed to cool things off if discussions get too heated. it's worked okay so far! my parents are old now, and it's just not worth it, ya know?

good luck!

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I've got some die-hard Hillary supporters in my family.

They refuse to talk to the other half of the family because we won't support her.

We find it funny.

My wife and her family members took mother-in-law on trip and the two hard Clinton supporters made it a miserable time. On the man side of the fray folks are removing each other from FB friends lists. LOL Oh the madness!
edit on 5-8-2016 by Logarock because: n

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: oriondc

Say what? Thanks for playing.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Iscool

It doesn't matter if my candidate wins. I'm not voting for them to win, I'm voting for them to get them to that magic 5% of the popular vote so we can get some more options next time. I'm voting for the future.

Also I'm voting my conscience. I'm partly responsible for who I vote for. If I vote for either of these people knowing full well that they are bad for this country and they win, then I'm responsible for my part in them doing what they do. Is why I won't vote lesser evil. I'm uncompromising like that. I need to believe the candidate has a net positive before they'll get my vote. I don't expect perfect, but I do need to believe that in the end we'll get more than we lose out of them.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Banish the Hillary supporter from the family.
j/k

Politics can be a touchy subject, especially between family members. Maybe organize a get together to specifically talk about not talking about politics.
edit on 5-8-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Say what? I didn't say anything. Can you read?
edit on 852016 by oriondc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

edit on 5-8-2016 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

I've got some die-hard Hillary supporters in my family.

They refuse to talk to the other half of the family because we won't support her.

We find it funny.

I think it is nostalgia, sounds like some sort of disease.

3 of them are college professors.

AW, I'm sorry, lol

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
All good for my family. Many are women and refuse to vote Hillary simply because of Bills transgressions with women and Hillary's attempt to cover it up. All the other BS from Hillary is second. If a women votes for Hillary they vote for Bill also. They should be reminded of that.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

On the man side of the fray folks are removing each other from FB friends lists.

Oh that's funny, I know people doing that.

My spidey sense, just keeps shouting, this does not compute, something very odd going on, might be the cell phones, people have gone coocoo for cocoa puffs

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Sorry you have to go through that. My family's pretty much the exact opposite. We're all differing degrees of left wing, but we happily troll each other over politics.

For example, my Dad's probably been a Hillary supporter for decades. So we troll him relentlessly about it since we're all further to the left. But one of my brothers randomly pretends to support Trump &/or the most extreme Repub of the moment just to catch us off guard. My Mom and I have a play "rivalry" where we'll threaten to call the FBI on each other over the most trivial interpretations of a law (as in, I'll say her okra plants look suspiciously like cannabis so I'll have to report her to support the "War on Drugs").

We used to have heated debates over specific policies but our ideological opponents are so "out there" that the differences in our perspectives seem miniscule in comparison. As in:

Family member 1: Immigration reform should focus on increasing or eliminating the cap on immigrants per region or country.
Family member 2: LOL No way, it should speed up the path to citizenship first. Help the ones who are already here first. Duh.
Family member 3: I can support both of those ideas, but only if we first get rid of the work visas that exploit foreign workers.
Our ideological opponents: Let's round up all the illegals, throw them in jail or immigration detention centers, deport them, and build a big fence! And the ones that still want to come should serve as temporary slaves (here)! Rawr!
My family: O.o Let's just agree to keep those guys out of power and help the immigrants.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

This election is tearing our family apart!

I think that's what it was designed to do. Not just families but the nation as a whole. I see minorities being scapegoated the same way Jews were in Nazi Germany. It's already started....

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: oriondc

Say what? I didn't say anything. Can you read?

I can read. I read the post before your edit where you were worried I was trying to "spam" you. So cute. No, I'm saving my actual spam until after this Apocalyptic election. We might need it.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Family like that isn't family worth having.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I have 2 rules of non topic with family and friends, politics and religion, theres already enough subject to fight about with your close ones.

Dude you burned the chicken again

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
My condolences.

I never initiate a discussion about politics with anyone and when my family decides to bring up the topic, I only participate when asked about certain aspects. I stress the point that they have to research to find the truth behind topics and do not listen to what others say.

Even when the discussions become heated between certain family members, they never let it get to them. Family is about love, even when we disagree on certain matters. We need to remember that.

edit on 5-8-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
As a bemused and bewildered foreigner looking in from the outside it's insane to see the division this is causing. The entire election cycle is being run with all the shiny shallow plasticity of a 4am P90x infomercial. You seem to have one guy that would fit in snugly in some boiler room esque telesales office that spouts inane platitudes and substanceless soundbytes aimed at the dumbest members of society running against an actual legit psychopath.

Don't let something this fake and shallow damage the realest and most important thing you have, it's not worth it.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I've got a buddy down in Texas. He doesn't let his wife cancel out his vote so he keeps her keys in his pocket while he goes off to the polls.

Hang in there HMB. I think it'd be fine though if you dropped your hair down, gave it a sexy shake, and just went all in for Trump.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I feel you. In my family...it's really just me an my wife and we don't talk politics with other family members. We're both on the same page, though. Neither of us like Hillary and Neither of us like Trump. We're both probably going third party, She might vote Hillary and I'm okay with that.

Here's the thing...The Choice we've been Given is Hillary Vs Trump. Take a good hard look at that last sentence. I'll type it again, "The Choice we've been Given is Hillary Vs Trump."

How can you blame someone for voting Hillary over Trump or Trump over Hillary? LOL Give everyone a pass this cycle.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join