It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This election is tearing our family apart!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Our family has had to call a moratorium on politics, just to keep the peace. It's gotten out of control!
Every gathering, every phone call - there are inquisitions and accusations about who we are voting for.

There are five of us who are hold outs, don't want to vote for either candidate. There are over two dozen who are rabidly Trump and one unabashed Hillary supporter.

It's literally alienating family members from each other. I've been insulted nine ways to Sunday, called a traitor, called an idiot. Uninvited. Even my kid uninvited.

I guess it should be no big surprise, it seems to be doing the same thing all over the internet - people unfriending, people getting banned. Is anyone else experiencing this insanity at home?

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: HoldMyBeer

Hate to SnF but you are correct. I've had the discussion that if there is going to be dialogue about politics to remember we are human/family/Americans and those come before politics.

I hope you and yours can get past this.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I hope you and yours can get past this.

Thanks.

It's hard. No exaggeration. And it's not the hold outs that are doing it. It's the pro-Trumps. The one pro-Hillary just smirks.
And no one wastes their time on her.

But it's an all day siege on the five of us who are holding out.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Sorry to hear about your family disputes.
This is happening all over western 'democracies'.

I suggest you and your family lay off the media for a while, it's probably contributing to this.

Luckily for me and my family, we're mostly in agreement with each other on political issues.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

It sure is tearing families apart. This whole election is one big giant psyop to create division and tension. My father thinks I'm crazy for supporting Trump and I have no way to convince him Hillary is a Evil Witch.
edit on 5-8-2016 by DaVillen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Just proves the party system does nothing but divide people. I think this is playing out in many families across the U.S..

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I'm sorry to hear that.

We hate everybody.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
We just fought over the voting third party thing. My whole family seems to be voting Trump while I'm voting third party.

In fact they were so anti third party it almost seemed they'd rather I vote Hillary than third party. Totally nuts if you ask me.
edit on 8/5/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I've got some die-hard Hillary supporters in my family.

They refuse to talk to the other half of the family because we won't support her.

We find it funny.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Our family has pulled together for the first time in several election cycles.

Myself I have been thinking of writing in my agressive dog chasing... Bit off eared cat named Holyfield.

Apologize for your family though. Been there...

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: HoldMyBeer
Our family has had to call a moratorium on politics, just to keep the peace. It's gotten out of control!
Every gathering, every phone call - there are inquisitions and accusations about who we are voting for.

There are five of us who are hold outs, don't want to vote for either candidate. There are over two dozen who are rabidly Trump and one unabashed Hillary supporter.

It's literally alienating family members from each other. I've been insulted nine ways to Sunday, called a traitor, called an idiot. Uninvited. Even my kid uninvited.

I guess it should be no big surprise, it seems to be doing the same thing all over the internet - people unfriending, people getting banned. Is anyone else experiencing this insanity at home?

That's because the 5 know enough about what going on that they know our Republic and Constitution is gone if Hillary wins...They know Obama has numerous terrorists sitting in high gov't positions in DHS, the FBI, the CIA, the NSA and on and on...

This elections isn't about the Republicans vs. the Democrats...It about the Democrats and Republicans vs. America...

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

They refuse to talk to the other half of the family because we won't support her.

We find it funny.

I think it is nostalgia, sounds like some sort of disease.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Exactly. There is more antipathy for the holdouts than the pro-Hillary. WTF is that about? I have actually been told that I must not care about my kid's futures. That I should move. That I don't understand what's at stake.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Iscool

Obama has numerous terrorists sitting in high gov't positions in DHS, the FBI, the CIA, the NSA and on and on...

yup

link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
We just fought over the voting third party thing. My whole family seems to be voting Trump while I'm voting third party.

In fact they were so anti third party it almost seemed they'd rather I vote Hillary than third party. Totally nuts if you ask me.
What's totally nuts is you...Why not just stay home...You going to make yourself feel better by voting for someone who can't possibly win anything??? You apparently don't pay much attention to what's going on or you'd be voting for Trump...

link   

Wow. I haven't heard about this kind of thing... It doesn't surprise me terribly, though, considering how divided the country is. I'm really sorry your family is messed up over this. It's not necessary. I hope you're not one of the people insulting and calling names, uninviting people. That's just lame.

I don't discuss politics with people I know (offline) who disagree with my choices. I've learned it's not worth it. But I have no problem discussing them with people here, some of whom disagree with me, and I still respect and even like them quite a bit.

Very sad. We are each responsible for our actions, no matter how much people want to blame Obama, the election, the two-party system or the astrological charts... Sounds like some people are shirking their responsibilities. Stop blaming other things. No one divides us but US.

Good luck! I hope it calms down for you after the election. And vote for who YOU want to!
edit on 8/5/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

originally posted by: DBCowboy

We find it funny.

I think it is nostalgia, sounds like some sort of disease.

3 of them are college professors.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

They kept repeating, it's going to be Hillary or Trump, those are the only choices you have. This is reality, you need to accept reality. Not voting was also not an option to them, because for some reason even if you wanted neither person, not voting is the worst thing you could do.

Just plain nuts. You must vote, and you must vote for D or R because anything else doesn't count and is a delusional failure to accept reality. It doesn't matter if both candidates were forged by the very fires of hell, you must support one.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I hope you're not one of the people insulting and calling names, uninviting people. That's just lame.

Definitely not! Live and let live. Of course, on line I'm pretty opinionated, but isn't that what it's for? No, IRL, blood is thicker than water and , in the end, family is all you got. Thus my shock and dismay...

I won't lie, when pressed, I try to make the argument that neither candidate is ideal. I can't be a hypocrite. But I'm a cut and dried left-leaning Libertarian so i don't begrudge anyone their own choice.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

EXACTLY!!!!

Is there a support group for that?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join