It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

one step closer to government healthcare as planned

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   
All is going according to plan.

Aetna has posted a $300 million loss and has scrapped plans to expand its ACA business.

"While we are pleased with our overall results, in light of updated 2016 projections for our individual products and the significant structural challenges facing the public exchanges, we intend to withdraw all of our 2017 public exchange expansion plans, and are undertaking a complete evaluation of future participation in our current 15-state footprint,” said Aetna Chief Executive Mark T. Bertolini. Aetna had previously made regulatory filings indicating it was considering growing into five new state marketplaces in 2017."

Here is the kicker.

"Surprisingly, despite the poor exchange results, Aetna still posted better-than-expected
profit and revenue growth in the second quarter and reaffirmed its 2016 operating earnings guidance."

The affordable care act has placed a large burden on insurance companies, they then raise premiums on other policies to cover the loss.
I still think the plan was for the aca to fail and to run insurance companies out of business in order to put government funded Heathcote in its place.

www.zerohedge.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Our goal as a nation should be a Universal Healthcare system. Insurance serves no purpose other than to provide a profit mechanism for the insurance companies. The ACA helped them do that.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Considering the timing of things, ACA looks almost like a bailout for insurance companies and the banks and corporations that they spring from.

Insurance being a requirement for everything under the sun is the single most taxing thing on disposable income for almost every sector of society.

In a way I suppose it goes against the constitution really, as far as promoting the general welfare in the preamble.

The corporate person-hood thing must be addressed eventually.

Too many middlemen that are making a good living for what amounts to nothing.
edit on 5-8-2016 by MyHappyDogShiner because: x

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Our goal as a nation should be a Universal Healthcare system. Insurance serves no purpose other than to provide a profit mechanism for the insurance companies. The ACA helped them do that.

My goal is to have less government intervention into my life, I do not want the government anywhere near my healthcare. Gee who pushed and passed the ACA? "pass it before you read it"
Now that it has failed you try to blame it on the insurance companies?
BS
The dems own this
Obama owns this
Pelosi owns this

You can only hope this does not become a major debate topic as it is a HUGE loser for the dems

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I'm still waiting for my premiums to drop $2500 like the president promised.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Considering that the insurance companies have profited from the ACA, I would not say it is a failure.

I was against the ACA since it was passed because while it does squash the pre-existing condition aspect, it was a hand-out to the insurance companies and the government. It forces you to either purchase a plan from the insurance companies or pay a hefty fine to the government.

It would be much more fiscally responsible if we have a universal system, administrated by the states and dissolve the insurance companies all together. Effectively, we should be able to lower costs by 30%-40% by simply taking the profit out of healthcare for the insurance companies.
edit on 5-8-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

The first line of the linked article says this..

"After every other major US health insurance provider already admitted to generating substantial losses on the Affordable Care Act, known as obamacare"

I'm not to sure that they have profited from the aca.

There are obviously better ways to lower healthcare costs. End all the stupid lawsuits against hospitals and doctors for one.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Is this a surprised, no is not, this was predicted before the CACA I mean AKA took effect.

The only thing that is coming out of all this is the monopolies that have been created since the AKA came to be.

Now, I can not even get a prescription like I used to without having to go to my doctors for a visit that I don't need.

And I fall on the military retiree health care.

I am soo fed up with the crap is not funny, then the insurance do no want to pay for the extra visits either, even when I am not asking for them.

edit on 5-8-2016 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I'm not to sure that they have profited from the aca.

Many insurance companies have profited from the ACA and that is because they were efficient in how they restructured their organizations in compliance with the ACA. Other companies, such as UnitedHealth, did a poor job and lost money due to their own actions, not anything the ACA demanded.

The issue is much more complicated than "blame the ACA", but I still believe the ACA is a pile of crap.

Universal is the only way to go.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Tort reform would be good, but the corporations and banks and businesses are almost guaranteed to take it too far.

Like Pharmaceutical companies wanting to limit their liability for doing damage, only to save costs on research to make sure drugs do as little harm as possible. Why worry about a drug being harmful if you're not responsible, right?.

This thing called 'Moral Hazard" pops up regarding most things.
edit on 5-8-2016 by MyHappyDogShiner because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I can tell you that before the ACA the military retiree health care was handle by one major insurance subsidy, then after ACA we got two back to back cost increases including prescriptions, now starting this summer the insurance will be handle by nothing more than 4 different subsidies what that tells you, I wonder what more is heading our way with all this crap, more insurance companies more crap to get lost, mishandle and over prized within the health insurance.

I wonder what in the hell is the government thinking about.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

It isn't the government any more, it's the banks and corporations that have infiltrated the government.

We were warned more than once about this, one guy got assassinated for trying to fix the problem he foresaw.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Considering that the insurance companies have profited from the ACA, I would not say it is a failure.

I was against the ACA since it was passed because while it does squash the pre-existing condition aspect, it was a hand-out to the insurance companies and the government. It forces you to either purchase a plan from the insurance companies or pay a hefty fine to the government.

It would be much more fiscally responsible if we have a universal system, administrated by the states and dissolve the insurance companies all together. Effectively, we should be able to lower costs by 30%-40% by simply taking the profit out of healthcare for the insurance companies.

Health care is a service like any service. Very important but, a service nonetheless (sometimes, it's a product).

There are two ways to operate an economy, through voluntary participation and cooperation or through coercion and dominance.

All services and products can be offered freely in an open market or directed by a central planner.

In a free market where reason maintains its applicability, one does not get "insurance" for a known problem. I do not get catastrophic car insurance after I demolish it in an accident.

In a free market, there would be health care of a higher order of quality for a smaller cost. There would be failures and they would instruct onlookers as to the efficacy of any particular service or provider.

Accidental deaths due to medical errors is currently the third leading cause of death.

Can we do better? You betcha! First, we have to reverse the tide and undo these terrible policies that have undermined society itself.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I agree that universal health care is great in theory, but the United States government is incapable of running anything effectively.
The va is a boondoggle.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I was against it because it forced you to buy insurance BECAUSE YOU ARE ALIVE.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
We need competition in the insurance market. What I always find comical is that liberals always want more government to fix the very thing that government screwed up in the first place. Our healthcare market is a mess because of a government - everything from forcing employers to provide it to preventing interstate competition among insurance companies.

Could you imagine how screwed up your car insurance would be if you could only buy it through your job or the handful of companies allowed to operate in your state?

We need simple policies in place that opens the market for competition nationally for insurance providers. Everyone should have to purchase a minimal catastrophic health policy - a policy that covers major issues like if you get cancer, broken bones, etc but it doesn't cover maintenance like physicals and all the other misc stuff that should be paid out of pocket anyway. If someone doesn't purchase, they should be covered under medicare and the cost of the premium deducted from any tax refunds.

The other problem is that people need to understand what insurance is. Insurance is to protect you in case of a catastrophic event. It isn't designed to cover every little cough and splinter.

Car insurance doesn't pay for your car washes, oil changes, tire rotations, and other misc things associated with owning a car. It is there in case you are in a bad wreck that severly damages / destroys your vehicle and/or causes harm to someone else or yourself. Think how expensive your car insurance would be if it did have to pay for those things.

The thing is we see how the market works when government and insurance get out of the way. Non-elective medical services are a relatively cheap because Doctors have to compete on price, service, and quality like any other business. Look at how cheap a boob job is these days because insurance is not required to pay for it.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Like you say is about competition, but in America is about monopolizing the system to benefit just those on top that controls everything, in my neck of the woods is not competition because is only one single provider.

So what that provider dictate is what you get, or else.

edit on 5-8-2016 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Can we do better? You betcha! First, we have to reverse the tide and undo these terrible policies that have undermined society itself.

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I agree that universal health care is great in theory, but the United States government is incapable of running anything effectively.
The va is a boondoggle.

I believe that responsibility should be administered at the state level.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Here's a good summary that demonstrates how the progress towards Government Run Healthcare is right on track...

"Aetna's announcement follows UnitedHealth Group's (UNH) decision to leave most ObamaCare markets, Humana's (HUM) decision to drop out of some, Blue Cross Blue Shield's announcement that it was quitting the individual market in Minnesota, and the failure of most of the 23 government-created insurance co-ops. And it follows news that insurance companies are putting in for double-digit rate hikes that in some cases top 60%, and news that the Congressional Budget Office has sharply downgraded its long-term enrollment forecast for the exchanges."

Source: www.investors.com...

Here in Illinois, the Government-run "Public Option", known as Land of Lincoln Health, is going broke and will terminate all policyholders on September 30th. The state's largest health insurer, Blue Cross w/82% market share, is raising premium by an average of 50.2% on January 1, 2017. United Healthcare is leaving Obamacare Illinois on December 31, 2016. AETNA is strongly considering leaving on December 31st as well.

The O.P. is correct. This implosion of Obamacare was designed, and is exactly how Senator Obama (in 2002) said he'd get America to Single-Payer/Medicare-for-all. Who said that Obama wasn't a successful President? Ha!

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Excellent news!!! THANKS for the OP!

S/F

That is all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join