It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good threads that didn't make it on the homepage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I have seen many good threads that didn't end up on the front page and dissappeared on the 'new' page after a day or two.
So that means that if I don't visit ATS for 2 days I wouldn't even know this 'good' thread existed, isn't that a shame? I myself don't contribute a lot but wouldn't others be more motivated to write a thread if they know it would be visible for a longer period? I know you can check each forum separately but who even does that apart from a minority.

I say we need an extra tab next to the 'new' tab (or replace it with another one), a tab that shows us all threads that have 15+ flags. That way good content stays longer visible for us. I have seen many 15-30 flag threads that didn't end up on the homepage 'vanish' after 2 days. I think that's really sad, we really need a 15 flag + kind of place in my opinion.

Feel free to share your thoughts or other idea's to solve this problem.
edit on 4-8-2016 by WombRaider69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: WombRaider69

chadwickus recently started a thread (today)
about lemuria
seems to have disappeared
i cant find it

where is his thread ?
can mods delete threads ?
edit on 4-8-2016 by kibric because: Hail Columbia

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

As a occasional ATS visitor I find your idea very excellent. Don't forget to flag this ladies and gents.
edit on 4-8-2016 by ChemicalAli because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: kibric

chadwickus recently started a thread (today)
about lemuria
seems to have disappeared
i cant find it

where is his thread ?

What I didn't see that at all, and i've been online most of the day, but to be honest I have threads disappear on me.. Some times threads won't show up in new topics which based on their time stamp they should be between this thread and that thread, only to reappear in said coorect placement hours later.

sometimes threads appear twice but they have same post count and different last poster and 1 hour different time stamps.. go into the thread and they are the same but the last poster is somehow different haha..

But chadwicus making a thread about lemuria?
that does not sound like him at all..

Anyway

Clicking on Top topics works fine for me, is that it goes back 90 days but only has room for 20-30 topics meaning unless a thread has atleast 50 flags its not likely to show up there either.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

The number of flags a thread receives is not indicative of it's inherent value or "goodness".

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

a reply to: kibric
Yes they can. Many are spam or against T&C's, many reasons.

There was a thread earlier today about links between Khan and Hillary that was deleted.

Sometimes I wish I knew why they were deleted.

On topic, I usually visit everyday and the first thing I do is go through new threads until I see ones I recognize.

I rarely see the front page.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

The first thing you should do is hit subscribe on any thread you see and like, you will then be able to find the thread again in your myATS section. And as for the rest of it, well, you can't be here 24/7 right? Hope it comes around again and that is about it.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

The number of flags a thread receives is not indicative of it's inherent value or "goodness".

Yes it is. Flags are meant to 'flag' people to the thread. The more flags, the more people thought it was worth a look.

Members pump out threads so fast these days content slides of the new threads page. A good subject gets a quick standard response and then gets buried. If someone else brings it theres always someone that says, already posted.

Well sorry, I'm not like on here all day. Good idea to have a 'second page' behind the front page.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

The first thing you should do is hit subscribe on any thread you see and like, you will then be able to find the thread again in your myATS section. And as for the rest of it, well, you can't be here 24/7 right? Hope it comes around again and that is about it.

Same as anything in life.
you are going to miss things.

my insomnia started in part because of this.
I never want things to end.

we do have to sleep.
no one sees it all.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I visit all the tabs across the top. live and recent are good for finding active threads that are being participated in the moment. Archive will allow you to pick ANY date going back years, many of which did not make it to the "top" . I recommend people visit archive more often, it is highly underrated and under utilize.

Look at this gem I found when visiting June 2006
U.S. Secretary of Defense admits Flight 93 was Shot Down
which mentioned this

Ahh, and I see, looking back through the pages, Rumsfeld has 'slipped up' previously. He stated that a missile hit the Pentagon, not an aircraft. Once, possibly. Twice? No way.

Im trying to bring that back to life now. It is currently on recent tab, but is starting to get buried again.
edit on 8/4/2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

This is why if I read an interesting thread I either respond in it, or I use the Subscribe button. Either way I can go to the myATS link at the top of the page and go back to it.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Yes it is. Flags are meant to 'flag' people to the thread. The more flags, the more people thought it was worth a look.

Value is in the eyes of the beholder. There are many threads with tons of flags that don't interest me at all. There are threads with only a few flags that I read with great interest.

Now a days I just daily scan the recent tab or My ATS, but in my early days, when I only logged on sporadically, I went to the subject forums that interested me, which filtered out all the subjects that didn't interest me.

My opinion? We don't need any more tabs.

edit on 5-8-2016 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Perhaps it is a mistake to rely too much on the home page. Threads don't even get there until half the excitement is already done.
"Recent Posts" is the place. That shows you where the current interest is.
(Also MyATS for the most recent threads on favourite forums)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   

I say we need an extra tab next to the 'new' tab (or replace it with another one), a tab that shows us all threads that have 15+ flags.

Go to the RECENT POSTS and click on the FLAGS tab. You can scroll down through all the most recently flagged threads. There are a lot so you will scroll down to the 2nd page.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Value is in the eyes of the beholder. There are many threads with tons of flags that don't interest me at all.

You need your own flag then?

My opinion? We don't need any more tabs.

We need less threads. The site is awash with frivolous nonsense.

So I agree with you, sort of.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Thanks Candy, you're so sweet.

I must have left left my brains in bed this morning.

new topics

top topics

join