It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets Talk Toads...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

in the backwash from the pool. I can't believe those chemicals haven't turned them white, or made them sick, but it seems it hasn't bothered them.

Whatever you do, do not let any cement or concrete runoff get into their pond.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I don't know, I'm a stickler for little things like that.

From now on, I have TOADS! (I'm not sure I like saying the word, though. I wonder why that is, hm) Maybe frogsounds so much friendlier. Yes, I like my toads friendly.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I have it on good authority that the toads prefer it.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

I don't accept they are the same, clearly in my original timeline they weren't, damn you Mandela and your dimension hopping effect

In my reality they were different too. But the big debate that I had with the neighbor kids was Pollywog vs Tadpole. We almost came to an agreement that frogs came from tadpoles and toads came from pollywogs.

But in this retroactively altered reality it's all rather moot now. sigh!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Nah, all those pipes are underground. Plus, they've been there for years. Maybe I should take them to Miami and let them feast on Mosquitos. Do a public service, and make up for any insults they might have endured over the years.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Can you believe in some obscure timeline they are called polliwog... SMH

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Can you believe in some obscure timeline they are called polliwog... SMH

In my timeline, we called them Berensteins.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Maybe I should take them to Miami

Don't let them loose there, unless it's close enough to get back to the pond.

Toads, like many amphibians, exhibit breeding site fidelity (philopatry). Individual Bufo americanus toads return to their natal ponds to breed where they are likely to encounter siblings as potential mates. Although inbred examples within a species is possible, siblings rarely mate. Toads recognize and actively avoid mating with close kin. Advertisement vocalizations given by males appear to serve as cues by which females recognize kin. Kin recognition thus allows avoidance of inbreeding and consequent inbreeding depression.
Toad#Reproduction

Just saying. I let the toads I kept for a while loose in the same pond I took the pollywogs(oh yeah, my obscure timeline) from. I did it mostly because the other pond which was closer was also closer to a highway. I saw things on that highway that I did not want to contribute to. sad things
edit on 4-8-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Love this thread! I just love toads and frogs! Your pics were awesome!

I don't have any toad pics, but a few frog ones.

edit on 4-8-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Nice thread. Here is the cane toad that hopped into my house several weeks ago. They are very common here. My hand was in a plastic bag due to the poison. One pic shows secreted poison on its back.

The thought never crossed my mind to lick the poison. So, people actually lick these toads to hallucinate?

Maybe that is where the idea to kiss a frog and make a prince came from...a hallucination.

:

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: gator2001

Don't lick the poison! Philippine toads may be completely different from the toads people lick. People shouldn't lick toads. It's as dangerous as eating random mushrooms.

edit on 5-8-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Great post! S&F for you!

We have about a million toads around our place. This, down from several million earlier this year. They hatch in our lake after the spring rains. Most of them are small to medium sized, but there's some great biggin's too.

They eat the bugs, so they're welcome around here. They're everywhere. Some mornings when I step off into the grass it looks like the whole lawn starts popping up and down.

All hail the toads!

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
gator2001

Omg! That is a huge azz toad! lol.. I didn't know they came that big..I thought they were all cute and little ..like the ones I have seen around here.

The worst is when I am driving home in the light rain and see them cross in front of my car..I never know if I hit them or not..makes me sad. I would know if I hit that one though..lol. Like a speed bump it would be.

I don't think you should lick them..I actually ran across a website that told exactly how you were supposed to do such things so you wouldn't harm yourself..but I was sure that it would be against T&C to post it..

Flyingclaydisk,pthena,Night Star,DBCowboy,Indigent,ladyinwaiting,Skid Mark,tigertatzen,diggindirt

Thanks for the poems, pics, and interesting info...I was very surprised to see so many comments and thoughts..and I loved reading them..much appreciated.

Thanks,
blend57

edit on 5-8-2016 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

We've had a few giants around this year. Saw one last night by the garage that was about 6" in diameter. He was a great big ol' fat feller too! It was kinda' funny too because right next to him was one of the smallest ones I've seen this year (probably less than 1" long). Made the giant look all that much bigger.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   
DP

edit on 8/5/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Flyingclaydisk

Just got back from my morning run and had a pretty big one cross my path..almost stepped on him..but, I have never seen one as big as you say...

Chan Chu

One day, the wife of one of the eight Immortals stole the elixir of immortality and ran...however when she drank it she turned into an ugly frog. Since Chan Chu also fantasized about money, she jumped into a well full of gold coins and that is how she became known as the money frog.

Toads are thought to bring you good fortune in China..literally bring money into your home..hopefully that is the case and good fortune falls upon you and your family.

Now back to my morning workout..lol

Thanks,
blend57

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join