It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello people! I'm quite happy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I've taken a break from ATS for a while and have been pursuing other things in my life - My first child is set to be born the first week of September, so that's taken a lot of preparation but beyond that I have been taking courses online for web-development - It's quite fascinating how all of this stuff works under the hood, and I feel like I'm picking a lot of stuff rather well and may have a future in this field.

Besides that, life is rather great in ways it wasn't just a month ago. I appreciate and enjoy my job more than before, I'm more interested in people in my community, I feel I've taken quite a few steps towards a more calm, happy, and fulfilling life/lifestyle.

What do I count as some of those steps taken that caused this increase in happiness?

Less facebook - Less replies to bait-posts.
Not posting rant threads here on ATS.
Ignoring mainstream media/fact checking if a topic interests me.
Fishing more often with my father (gotta love the outdoors. )
Taking things far less personally.
Seeing people as human beings and not just labels.

The media in general, including social media tends to cause anti-social mindsets, we begin to label ourselves and each other, we pound our fists on tables insisting our way is better, or that another could not be right for this reason or that. We see political party affiliation, presidential candidate choice, stances on issues, etc.. as defining attributes of a person.

What happened to accepting a person based on their character?
What happened to intellectual exchanges of ideas leading to compromise, collaboration, creation?
What happened to denying ignorance and seeking out the true answers wherever possible, or giving reason as to why the truth may be too hard to obtain?
What happened to our humanity in general?

I realize these words may apply more to myself than anyone else, but I feel I need to express my points, if only for me to realize what I've been pondering during my break from media/social media.

We are all human.
We can all achieve greatness.
We can all work together.
We all have something to contribute.

I've created a million excuses to not be greater than I was yesterday, and I've realized most, or all are completely imaginary and have no basis in reality.

"The Powers That Be" are most definitely not stopping me from trying to be kind to others, to make a difference in my community, to apply myself.

No corporation or entity is currently stopping me from reading books, online or physical - To learn more, to achieve more, to grow.

No politician is in the way of my dreams - If they ever were, I'd certainly and quickly adapt my dreams to not involve such people.

I realize we do have politicians, news, media all trying to pit us against each other, I have fallen into their trap before, and will not claim that I am all the way out, but I am not making an excuse. I will become better . I will treat you fellow members with more respect, honesty, and integrity. I will seek out the truth in the best way I know how, and where I fall short - I will call upon the help of others to help get me there. I seek to collaborate and exchange ideas, I seek to grow not only as a person on their own, but as a member here on ATS, as a citizen within a society, as a human on this very same rock as so many others.

Thank you for reading, I look forward to being involved on this site as I have been for a few years now, and look forward to exchanging and seeing others do so as well.

Sincerely,

Deadlyhope.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

I love when someone actually turns into a human!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Well, that was quite up lifting and inspiring! I am so happy for you! And expecting a child on top of it all, wow! Congratulations!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Thank you for the positive vibes, we need more on ats.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Hey DH!!

Good to see you. I'm happy to hear you are in the real world. I agree with what you are saying, though some online connections can be very real and supportive too.

I need to take a break as well. I've noticed an obsessive need to check new threads and sometimes to post. Gotta work on that.

I'm looking into "The Blue Zones" (health and longevity research) and, surprisingly, it doesn't mention obsession with online sites or social media as being healthy!!! (Sarc)

Peace to you, and that time with your Dad is
Precious!!!

AB

ETA: congratulations on your upcoming baby!!!

edit on 4-8-2016 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Well, I'm at work and only have a limited time to respond so I'm attempting the multi-quote voodoo others have seem to have mastered XD

I love when someone actually turns into a human!

I certainly FEEL more human - I feel like previously I was not thinking for myself as much as I could/should have.

Well, that was quite up lifting and inspiring! I am so happy for you! And expecting a child on top of it all, wow! Congratulations!

Thank you! I'm definitely excited for our little girl to come into this world!

I'm looking into "The Blue Zones" (health and longevity research) and, surprisingly, it doesn't mention obsession with online sites or social media as being healthy!!! (Sarc) Peace to you, and that time with your Dad is Precious!!!

I certainly do love my time with my father, I didn't get as much of it for a time for health reasons for a few years but now we are closer than ever and it's great. Obsessions definitely limit my own ability to enjoy life - Everything in moderation and all.

Thank you for the positive vibes, we need more on ats

You're welcome! I hope others follow suit and express what's making them happy as well.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Seems to be about identity.

The online sites make you choose an identity or side with some group. "Get a label and a flag! Then fight for it" seems a typical mindset. Reminds me of "hive mind" seen in some insects like bees and ants. But hey, we all do that to some extent to self-identify.

Me? Got sick of being "everything to everyone" which was leading to self-doubt and self-destruction. Took the time to step back, self-evaluate, then realize what a miserable bast*rd I really was. Then it was time for a psychic makeover. That took time and effort; it was not fun... it actually hurt like h3ll. I used to be embarrassed to talk about it but you cannot change your past (or can you?).

Seems you have done a much easier path! Glad to hear about it! And it is OK to take brakes from ATS if you feel the need to. Congrats on a good first step in the right direction! You did it at the right time as September is only 3 weeks away!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

My first child is set to be born the first week of September

I'll have you know that that is a FANTASTIC time to be born

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Hey DH! Good to hear positive things from you! Good luck...glad you got out to see that yellow thing in the afternoon. Its called the SUN!!!

Artificial computer or any indoor lighting lumped together with conspiracies and nefarious activities can mess with us!

Stay well...congrats of the coming addition! YaY!

top topics

join