It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Random chat about the Olympics?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I'm curious how many people will be following the Olympics this year, and if you have a particular sport you watch or if you generally pay attention to most of it, if not all? As an adult I haven't really been keeping up with it, except for an occasional medal count check. as a kid my mother watched the Olympics both summer and winter, so when I had nothing better to do I would watch it too. I think my favorite summer Olympic game is the swimming, its exciting at times when its a really close race. (speaking of swimming, I did hear Michael Phelps will be carrying the U.S. flag during the opening ceremony) my favorite winter sport to watch was the bob sled teams, that's still interesting to me, and looks like a blast.. what's the movie with the Jamaicans? (could google it, but someone will know).. anyhow, hope everyone is having a good day! and if not, well enjoy it anyway because it probably isn't gonna change

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ware2010

I'm going to be following just for the stories that come out of Brazil. Between all the crime and the Zika virus.

We are in for one hell of a ride.

They cant even keep the damm torch safe there. God help those athletes.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: imsoconfused
something happen with the torch already? and you don't have a bad idea, I sense it may get alittle interesting outside of the sports.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Im gonna follow the olympics, mostly cause im bored

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I have always been a fan of the Olympics and really enjoy the track & field, along with cycling, both in the velodrome and road.

Winter Olympics, I am with you on Bob, Luge and more recently Skeleton. But there are other winter sports I enjoy watching, such as Ski Jump, snow boarding and Alpine skiing.

I am looking forward to the next fortnight, although slightly tainted with all the doping allegations.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ware2010
something happen with the torch already? and you don't have a bad idea, I sense it may get alittle interesting outside of the sports.

Its been stolen twice I think. Also other attempts on it that were thwarted.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Ah beach vollyball time
Love the sport.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I think I read that police have had to use tear gas and stuff on protesters along the route, and there was something about Pele not lighting the flame or something about Pele and the flame.

I've also read that I guess the US team always sends a "fix-it" crew along ahead of the athletes and coaches to attempt to patch up any issues with the construction of the Olympic village, so that's why you don't always hear our athletes complain as much about backed up toilets and electrical problems. We send in our own to deal with it as much as can be done ahead of time and have apparently done so for years now.

The same article says that most Olympic delegations drape their dorms in patriotic flags so that you can tell just by looking at the outside which team lives in it. The only two delegations that don't do that are the American and Israeli teams. The Israelis stopped doing it after Munich and I forget when the article said the US followed suit. Inside is, of course, a much different story.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
wow, that is crazy, and funny.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
damn, who picks where the Olympics will be held? That is crazy, so much drama just to play a sport against other countries.. imo anyways

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I like equestrian, fencing, rhythmic gymnastics, table tennis, water polo, and the other more obscure stuff that you are unlikely to ever see at any other time.

I will also keep an eye out for track and field. One of the men's high jump competitors is from my alma, and the men's high jump coach is my old college coach, so that's personal.

I will see some of the gymnastics I'm sure. And there is always diving and swimming and the other more mainstream events everyone thinks of.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ware2010
damn, who picks where the Olympics will be held? That is crazy, so much drama just to play a sport against other countries.. imo anyways

Never forget that the alternative to Rio was Chicago.

Are we sure that's much safer for everyone?

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I am already following! The soccer first-round games started yesterday for the women and today for the men.

Watching Hope Solo get booed was fun! Saturday's match vs. France should be good theater too.

I also want to see the water sports out in the bay. The report said they will basically be competing in feces! Ewwww!

Everything else will be... what ever is on. No attachment.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Imagine the drama if a dead body turns up and gets briefly confused for a competitor.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

That report was truly disgusting! They went up in a helicopter and showed raw, untreated sewage being pumped out into the bay. Then the reporter went down to the street. The canals will filled with trash and sewage that led directly to the bay. I guess the IOC issued a warning to cover all wounds, wash off immediately upon leaving the water, and do not swallow any! Wonder how many athletes are going to get pink eye?

A dead body would not make much of a difference!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

It figures that the watersports bay in Rio would be how the zombie apocalypse starts!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I'll be Your Huckleberry...

The aforementioned film was "Cool Runnings" (1993)

www.imdb.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

and I got cut off again.. Here is the rest:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I haven`t watched the olympics since they pulled that pay per view crap back in the 80`s I believe it was.

pay to watch the olympics?? those greedy bastards were nuts, as a matter of principle I haven`t watched them since then even though they are free to watch, I don`t need to watch the olympics that bad and I don`t miss it one bit.

Besides all that this years olympics are going to be a disaster, they couldn`t have chosen a worst place to have them.
I predict that at least a few people will die,either from the criminals,or terrorists or disease from the cesspool that they are holding the some of the water venues in.
edit on 4-8-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
HBO™ is currently airing a special on the Olympics in it's "Real Sports" series. The folks in Rio, Sochi and China who lived in low income places got their homes and hovels bulldozed and made homeless and they've been screwed over royally..

I'm "almost" to the point to thinking that these particular Olympics is like the current US Erections, FUBARed to the MAX, like that crappy alarm clock in that crappy hotel room, it "might" wake some folks up..

Will the Olympics be the start of a Zika Epidemic? I've seen some pics/video of the water that these athletes will be swimming in, boating in and it doesn't look healthy at all to the point of fecal matter, bottles, plastic bags, etc. floating about. Mix this with both athletes and visitors from EVERY corner of the globe, what better way to spread the germs?

Anyways if Y'all get the chance I'd recommend viewing this documentary.

www.hbo.com...

jakeelman.sportsblog.com...

They blow more on this crap than the Presidential Erections... Yikes!!

Stay Hydrated but don't use the water from Rio or fluoridated tap water from anywhere...

new topics

<<   2 >>

join