It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I have a sister

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Well, actually I've known for quite awhile. I finally talked to her via social media today for the first time. It was a bit awkward and I don't really know what to say. I'm sure we have plenty to talk about but I social media hardly seems like the platform .

Has anyone else gone through this or something similar? I'd love to hear some thoughts or possible good questions to ask. Thanks all.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

That must've been something par to surreal eh?

Very cool that you found each other, I don't know what i'd do in that position, but i'm sure you'll have some interesting things to talk about with her.

I haven't been through that myself, but i'm sure it would bring on a range of emotions, from shock, to curiosity.. to more shock lol.

Thankyou for sharing that JinMI

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

I've known for quite a few years. You'd expect all the feels to be gone. She was only a young teen when I found out and I didn't want to interrupt her family stuff. She's in her twenties now so it's all good. We have some common ground, like bashing our father. That should work for awhile!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Just be yourself and get to know her and let her get to know you. I'm sure she has many questions and I'm sure she is delighted that you found her. I would like very much if you could keep us updated on this. I think wonderful things are ahead for both of you. Family is important.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Good advice, thank you. Family is absolutely important, I agree.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I understand, it's gotta be a little nervwracking even having known. Sometimes knowing ahead makes it harder, because of the mixed emotions about what to say. But it looks like you guys are at a good start, and have something in common, i totally get that part having gone though that with one of mine.

I agree with Nightstar please keep us updated!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Whatever you do; don't sleep with her. lol

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
Well, actually I've known for quite awhile. I finally talked to her via social media today for the first time. It was a bit awkward and I don't really know what to say. I'm sure we have plenty to talk about but I social media hardly seems like the platform .
Has anyone else gone through this or something similar? I'd love to hear some thoughts or possible good questions to ask. Thanks all.

That is wonderful and I hope it turns out well for you!
I have been through similar. When I was quite young I found out that I had been adopted, I really should have suspected due to the age of my adoptive parents, and in my early 20s I reached out to my birth family, finally.
My birth Mother was single at the time I was given away and as I was the youngest of three children and my brother and sister had the same father and he actively participated in their lives and mine didn't, I suppose I drew the short straw.

We began talking on the phone, my brother lived in Sweden at the time, and just getting to know each other as you would with any new person in your life.
What has your life been like? What do you enjoy? Do we have things in common? Did we think about each other growing up?
General questions at first until the comfort level increased. My Mother and sister flew to Florida, separately, in short order to meet up and one interesting thing that came out of it, for me, was that my sister and I had been permitted to play together as children however neither of us knew we were related at that time.

They've included me in their life events and even invited me to Sweden for my niece's wedding but my life events didn't allow for me to attend in person.

My birth Father's children (my other 1/2 siblings) don't want anything to do with me except one. It is rare that we email. She (my sister) insists that I remain a secret still. That hurts but knowing her truth is better for me, IMO.

All in all it has worked out well for me and two of my siblings, and I hope the same for you. Just always be honest (not that you wouldn't) about your feelings and emotions.

When I reconnected there were so many emotions on both sides. Anger, resentment, pain, guilt, joy, comfort, a calmness that had not been felt in many years, and love.

I truly wish you and your sister luck and hope for the best for both of you. It can either be the one of the greatest moments of your life or one of the most painful. I've experienced both and I hope, deeply, for you and your sister the former.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well that's crazy. I knew I had a brother, but had never met him, until I was in my twenties. Our father did a good job keeping us apart by telling us lies.

It's a strange thing to live though. I hope you can be close, eventually.

Maybe there is something in the MI water?

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I can't imagine being apart with family and knowing for that long. I'm glad that it worked out mostly for the best in your situation and thank you so very much for sharing your situation and recommendations. Your truly a class above here on ATS!!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

You maybe on to something!! I try to stick to whiskey to avoid the water.

top topics

join