It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giving up.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I was first eligible to vote in 2008. I didn't like my choices, so I refused to vote. The same thing happened in 2012. This year, I thought that maybe America might be ready for a Libertarian President...but no. I give up again. I would gladly vote for Austin Petersen or John McAfee, but the Libertarian nominees are Johnson-Weld. At first I thought they might be ok...not perfect, but ok. But the more I hear them talk, the more I realize that they have something to hide.

Peal back the shiny 'legalize marijuana' and 'flat tax' layers, and JohnsonWeld look a lot like BushCheney. Johnson is always very vague in interviews and debates, and he relies on Weld to take the lead. Weld likes to flip-flop, and he has no respect for the 2nd Amendment. Weld wants to ban "assault weapons" (which is code for semi-automatics), and he wants to take gun rights away from people on Terrorist Watch Lists. Who determines who is put on a Terrorist Watch List? How do you get on such a list? How do you clear your name? Probable Cause is grounds for search, but it is not grounds for taking away Constitutional Rights.

This is just one of the problems that I have with JohnsonWeld. Trump, Hillary, and Stein are already an automatic NO for me, but now I realize yet again that we have no real choice. Different faces, but same old tyranny.

I should have known better than to get my hopes up.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Don't give up hope... But yes, it seems pretty clear that there will be a strong push for some kind of gun control measures.

I really don't think semi-autos are going away.

edit on 3-8-2016 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualzombie

Well, I haven't given up hope entirely. I have shifted my hope entirely to God now. I don't expect any president to defend our rights anymore.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Then don't vote FOR anyone, vote AGAINST the fascist.

Then go get hammered on cough syrup and tequila.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I think I might do that, minus the cough syrup.
edit on 3-8-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I think we're in a transitional phase. For better or worse... I don't think small measures of gun control are necessarily end game... I think it can happen without really effecting most gun owners... There is strong support for 2nd ammendment. They don't want to start a civil war over it and they know gun control is fighting words.

There are people like yourself with strong ideals fighting the good fight on all fronts. Listen for them, look out for them, and support them when they pop up on the scene.

I think the best days are yet to come.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

LOL you want to talk about losing faith in the voting system? My first time voting was in 2000, when I voted for Gore along with the majority of America. But due to a hiccup in the state Bush's brother governed, he won.

You know the last time a person had won presidency but lost the popular vote before that election? 1888.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   

You seem to be searching for a perfect candidate, those don't exist. I forget who said this, it was some local politician in some town... and he nailed the whole thing.

If you like my positions on some of the issues, vote for me.
If you like my positions on all of the issues, get your head examined.

Basically, I don't think you understand voting. You're throwing away the good in a candidate that you like for your ideal that no one can live up to.

Unless you fall hard for a specific political party, chances are you will never get a candidate you agree with 100%. Vote for the ones that seem competent and agreeable on a few issues. Beyond that, work on an individual level to change things. I can tell you from experience that people, even politicians are pretty open to changing their stance if you can plan it out well and explain how to fund it.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
that was nonsense, I had to remove it.

Anyways, it is important to always take advantage of our right to vote. Not doing so would be an affront to those around the world who do not share such privileges.
edit on 8/4/2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Fascist?

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Petersen was much closer to perfect. He exists, but didn't get the nomination.

I want the War on Drugs and Terror ended, my Bill of Rights protected, and the entire tax system fixed. Johnson only wants to half-ass on those issues when they are the roots of our problems today. I have a big problem with that.
edit on 4-8-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Check out Darrell Castle of the Constitution party. He may be more Libertarian than Gary Johnson.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   

I'll be blunt. You sound like you're looking for a savior, not a candidate. I think you're forgetting that every candidate is a human. Have you ever met any human who was 100% "perfect" on every issue and in every field? Of course not! LOL

In a representative democracy, we're literally picking from the people among us who actually have the ambitions to lead our district, city, county, State, or country. Despite the fantasies and myths, these people are NOT reptilians, aliens, demons, or some other mythical creature. They're just people with every quality that comes with being "human", good and bad.

It almost sounds like you're longing for the fake legends that royal families use to justify their positions, like claiming to be "God's Chosen", the "Protector's of some Ancient Relics", or whatever. They continually push the myth that they're infallible and greater than "normal" people, and thus, are the only ones fit to make decisions in specific fields. But guess what? They're only humans too.

Make a list of what's important to you then number them in order of importance to you. Then choose candidates who prioritize the things you actually care about. For example, I can never support someone who wants me, my family, my people, and/or my religion to be oppressed. That's my first priority and I go from there.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

The trick is that who the fascist is depends solely on your personal point of view.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   

A convert to Trump! And yes I plan to get drunk after I vote for him.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Allow me to reciprocate with blunt words. USA is not a democracy, it is a Representative Republic. Democracy is social degeneracy.

No one is perfect, but both Petersen and McAfee (and the rest of the Libertarian candidates for that matter) are far closer to perfection than JohnsonWeld. JohnsonWeld are Neocons.

USA is founded on the principles of liberty as shown in the Bill of Rights. It is our LAW. I don't think its unreasonable to ask for a law abiding candidate. I find it repulsive that Americans would compromise on this issue at all.

I'm not looking for a saviour. I have Jesus for that. I'm looking for a leader, and I dont see one. That is what election season is about.

I'll gladly watch America crumble before I vote against my Bill of Rights. That is my list of important issues, Amendments 1-10.
edit on 4-8-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I'm going to derail this slightly. You place your #1 issue on the Bill of Rights. Do you take that to mean those are your only rights, or would you sacrifice other rights for the preservation of those 10?

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Woah! 2008? I was eligible nearly 40 years before you in '71. Depression soon set in with Nixon running away, Vietnam barely ending...and President Ford kept falling down off planes and stairs. (How embarrassing to us all!) *Look it up guys! There are photos!

We have a say in elections sure...but thats all. We always...both parties and alternate parties...get the short end of the promises-kept lists.

Otherwise everything would be cool naturally and internationally, we'd all be rich and living in fine homes, everyone would have a job, no taxes, no wars...yep. Didnt happen. And its not gonna anytime soon.

Still? Vote. Because if you dont? Youve got no right to complain about things...some choice, huh?!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Yes do that!
It's only what lead us to this point in American history in the first place.

I'm voting for the candidate that doesn't drink...

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
Still? Vote. Because if you dont? Youve got no right to complain about things...some choice, huh?!

Not true. Your vote is an endorsement of a candidate, how does refusing to endorse someone remove your right to complain? If anything, not voting is very powerful because each vote cast raises the number a third party who might create change needs in order to secure a majority. If fewer people voted someone like Jill Stein or Gary Johnson would more easily reach 5% of the vote.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join