It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Disney have censored 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I didn't realize there was a controversy over censorship concerning the film Who Framed Roger Rabbit until recently. It looks to me like the review from amazon.com below covers the details of what was censored out of the original film.

Where do you stand on the issue? Should Disney have censored Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Personally, I think there should be an unedited version for adults and a censored version for children. The problem with that is, Disney would then have to answer the question:

Why was something that's only suitable for adults now targeted at children in the '80s?

What the heck is wrong with Disney?!?!? The ONLY version worth buying is the Original VHS release... TRUST ME. Back a couple years when the first DVD release was made, it was quickly discovered to be CUT and ALTERED for younger audiences. First, in the scene early in the film where Baby Herman throws a fit on the movie set. In the original version, he walks under a woman's legs and sticks his arm up her dress and says "Excuse me Toots!". On that DVD, Baby Herman's arm was re-drawn so it just stays by his side! Another scene is when Valiant first meets Jessica Rabbit. When he first enters the Toon Strip Club, we can see that Betty Boob is onstage with her shirt off and she's shaking her b%%b$ (don't get excited, her back is to the camera). This scene is completely CUT from the DVD. Later in the film when Jessica Rabbit and Valiant are riding on the car in Toontown... the car screeches out of control and crashes, throwing Valiant and Jessica onto the streets. For a second or two in the original version, it was VERY obvious that Jessica had NO underwear on and the dress was very wide-legged. In that first DVD, they added white underwear. NOW WE HAVE THIS VISTA SERIES DVD!! The version that they tote on TV as the "Definitive version"... AHH, yeah right. They HAVE gone back and fixed Baby Herman's arm. Now his arm reaches back up the dress. THANK YOU. But the scene of Betty Boob is still cut!! Not only that, but the scene with Jessica being thrown from the car has been RE-DRAWN!! Now her dress has been extended so that it is now pulled down revealing nothing!! These scenes may sound like "No big deal" to the average viewer, but what of us who love WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT? What of us who want the film we remember seeing?? Altering this film is just as offensive as what Lucas has done to STAR WARS!! Take my advice and STEER THOUSANDS OF MILES AWAY from this trite. If we all demand that we want ROGER RABBIT the way it WAS, and refuse to buy this new "Kid-Friendly" version... maybe Disney will take notice. Maybe...

LINK

For the Christians out there, please compare and contrast the contents of the cartoon below with the changes mentioned above.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
At a time period when man didn't think about morals, no they shouldn't have. This opens doors for more opportunities about censorship.

It gave the first and beyond, cartoons references to adult imagery. We are born (babies) we grow (child- adolescent) we produce (adult) and we die (senior)

The movie was for entertainment purposes. Political correctness isn't correct at all.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Rewriting history, who'd have thunk it? The more 'refined' our civilization becomes the less tolerant the do gooders are.

That youtube is brutal.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I like how this dude remembers all the perverted scenes in vivid detail, and feels that the omission of those scenes is a travesty. Based on his descriptions, those scenes were gratuitous and never really necessary to begin with.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
The video about the bible is rough. Interesting though.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Viewers who are immature will tend to emulate what they see. I wonder how many accounts there are of juveniles sticking their hand up a dress, thinking it a reasonable joke.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Interesting, I will follow up in the morning. G'nite all

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
As Jessica Rabbit said. "I'm not bad....I'm just drawn that way"

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
As someone above said. That vid was brutal.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

profusion...the name is Betty Boop not betty boob! was that an unintentionable spelling error or a freudian slip!!

join