It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm so torn over this! Homelessness in America.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
What gets me is we live in a time when even the homeless have the power to organize and pool their resources and they don't do it. If you have access to a library (and you would even as a homeless person in any major city in America) you could talk to homeless people all over the country. What could stop them from finding a place to make a place to pool their resources and for homeless people to start over?

Must they just demand that people who have made their own way help them? I'm sorry but that is just never gonna fly as long as you have people who have worked hard to get to where they are. And most successful people have. They may have had help from their parents and families and so forth but most people who have carved out a place in the world for themselves have done it either through their own hard work or through voluntary charity. To just expect these people to be required to pay other people's bills is not only fundamentally wrong but it will also do nothing but create social friction and resentment.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Naturallywired
Ok I came across this page.

Link again

This social experiment conducted by MoeAndET was designed to see how the populous reacts to a homeless kid versus a homeless adult, with the homeless kid actually being their little brother and the homeless adult being an out-of-work veteran.

These things are designed to blur the view of those looking a homeless vista, Its designed to trivialize the homeless issue in America which according to figures I've read is something like 45 million. Given statistically its likely that just as many people are only one month away from homelessness, it means that nearly one third of the American population are either homeless or near homeless.

Moreover, these events the OP alludes to are designed to make that one third of the population that is 30 days or less from homelessness, feel guilty and therefore responsible for the care and maintenance of the homeless and near homeless.

You can see from this, that a cleverly disguised out come of what the OP is about, is that if those at risk of homelessness are responsible for the care and maintenance of those who are homeless, then the government is not responsible for them.

In other words " we are showing you how tragic homelessness is so therefore it's your responsibility to do something about it. not ours."

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: LifeMode
a reply to: Naturallywired

Lots of homeless shelters. The issues is homeless shelters have rules. They don't want to follow the rules so they choose to stay on the street. I know in Utah they can even get their own place if they follow the rules. BS.

I live in Massachusetts. A small town where I have started to see homeless vets sleeping on benches, kids sleeping in train stations. The shelters here are so overwhelmed there are waiting lists. Most have a first come first serve basis. I once gave this one kid (he was approx 20) my last $20. I met him at a laundromat. I helped him make calls to various shelters. One woman said to him "weren't you just here"? I had a talk with him about drugs, which he swore he didn't use. I found out later from some friends that he was a drug dealer. I would have rather given my last $20 that week to the vet!

It really sucks that people like this take when others really need!

You are right though, most don't want to follow the rules.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Omg! Are people actually that cruel? I don't understand the benefit of throwing food on someone or yelling at them...haven't they been punished enough? I dunno..very emotional to watch..took me a few minutes to get myself together enough to reply...thank you for sharing this.. tugs at my heart strings... I didn't know humans could be that cruel...

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
What did the kid have on his sign?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join