It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm so torn over this! Homelessness in America.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Ok I came across this page.

Link again

This social experiment conducted by MoeAndET was designed to see how the populous reacts to a homeless kid versus a homeless adult, with the homeless kid actually being their little brother and the homeless adult being an out-of-work veteran. The results are staggering; just how much abuse are the homeless supposed to take when even the random people on the streets abuse them? A police officer even began harassing him simply for asking for some spare change – after she’d given some to the kid!

I am so heartbroken over this today. I cried tears of pity and tears of joy over the video on this page. I also was enraged over the (cop) meter maid's actions.
Folks this is how it really is on the streets. I been there and I still am kinda.

Please everyone I am pleading to you, have more compassion for one another. Anyone can become homeless given the right circumstances.
Love your fellow man.
Maybe I am gullible and this is staged. I sure hope it is. Still though it's sad cause in my experience it is just like this.

Here is the video if you do not want to visit the link.

edit on 3-8-2016 by Naturallywired because: Added to thread title

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Naturallywired

Lots of homeless shelters. The issues is homeless shelters have rules. They don't want to follow the rules so they choose to stay on the street. I know in Utah they can even get their own place if they follow the rules. BS.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

I am sure they have rules. So I guess that means that if the homeless are not in shelters it's ok to treat them like crap. Name a shelter that let's you hang out in it in the middle of the day.

You're part of the problem!

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
My home city have banned rough sleepers and there has been an increase in night shelter availability. But I can understand some people not wanting to sleep in a shelter, there are evil people out there pure and simple.

The majority of people are three months non payment of their mortgage from being on the streets.

A relationship breaking down, a mental health episode, it could happen to any one of us, sadly.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I use to work trying to help them. They didn't want to follow the rules, the ones I tried to help anyway. Eventually got out of the line of work. Some had serious mental issues so not much anyone can do for them but put them in a home. Some just liked being homeless...

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The msm have written so many stories about scams by the homeless so that people are confused and don't know who to trust. There were so many homeless in St. Pete Fl but I could never pass someone without giving what I could afford and no I am not blowing my own horn; it's just that you never know the stories. I gave many rides to strangers and paid for hotel rooms and I'm not wealthy by any means. In fact, I have been ridiculed so often trying to help in my meager way but my conscience would not allow me not to. I always believe that could be me or my family in need-one never knows.

I guess this is such a confused situation for much of our society-but for me it is very simple-if there is a need you do what you can at that moment to help.

Somehow, NY seems very uncaring in this video-even cruel from those who should care like police.

Just heartbreaking. Hard to believe in America (and a vet) this is the best we can do.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I normally don't give money to people on the streets, although I do make donations to various organizations.

However, starting about 6 months ago there was a homeless guy with a dog by his side that stood by the expressway entrance ramp near my main office. The sign he held said "Homeless Vet waiting for housing. Will work." Something struck me. Not sure if it was the dog or the fact that he was always standing at attention but for whatever reason I found him sincere and would give him a few dollars whenever I saw him.

Then, about a month ago, he and his dog were gone. In the spot where they used to be was a new sign that said, " I have found housing and work. Thank you to everyone that helped even if they couldn't afford to give me money."

I was so glad to see that sign.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: LifeMode

Some just liked being homeless...

I never met anyone who enjoyed being homeless while being on the streets myself. BS

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22
Thanks, that made me feel good.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Karma works both ways, believe me.

I don't give homeless people money, but I provide food when I can.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978
Even when I am homeless I still help others with food.

edit on 3-8-2016 by Naturallywired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I would give them a survival book. What grubs you can eat, how to fish, trap. Maybe some fishing hooks. I would much rather be fishing than holding up a sign all day.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LifeMode
I would give them a survival book. What grubs you can eat, how to fish, trap. Maybe some fishing hooks. I would much rather be fishing than holding up a sign all day.
Quit trolling my thread. Grubs? Really? You are a liar! You never worked with the homeless. Not with your attitude would you ever in a thousand years ever and I mean ever work with or help anyone in need.

SHAME ON YOU!

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
That's not really a valid experiment. Neither of the individuals doing the begging are genuinely homeless. I've seen the difference between genuine homeless people and fakesters . Genuine homeless people have hollow cheeks, and all sorts of sores on their body due to malnutrition. They will always accept offers of meals at shops. Fakesters will refuse to move for fear of losing their profitable "patch". Doing this kind of experiment then makes me have suspicions of anyone who begs for help - I was once going into a taxi, when a woman with dried up running eye makeup comes running up to me begging for money. Across Europe we have Roma gypsies always doing the begging for money with laminated plastic cards claiming they need money to help them get home.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Maybe they were all just liberals who love muslims and hate vets?!?!?

All jokes aside, damn that was brutal. At first I wasn't sure if the vet was a stooge too.

The bigger picture, people need to understand there are 2 things here: Homeless People, and then there are BUMS. Not all homeless people are bums (it should only play out as a stage of hardships), but may be at a higher risk of becoming a bum as a result. Then we have BUMS, who not all of them are yet currently homeless, but have a higher chance than most people of becoming homeless.

I know the Tampa drunk bums they turn the little nooks and crannies they find to occupy all over the city, they turn em into what become literal landfills. The beer bottles and such they walk back and forth all day hauling into their little spots, they REFUSE to haul the resulting garbage back out with them each trip to go get more. They just keep piling up the nasty garbage until it gets so bad (literally pouring out into the sidewalk even) that finally the lazy cops bother to get involved (which I've seen a worst case scenario total UGLY landfill situation where despite constant complaints from the adjacent business owners the lazy cops took over a year to act). I could go on at great length about this notion, and how I've even tried helping / reasoning them, and they simply wont put any effort at all into bettering themselves or being less of an eco-disaster of an impact on the spots they setup shop in (they wont even do it if it meas they could get to stay 'indefinitely' in even a pretty sweet spot like this one clan of them had.
edit on 3-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Genuine homeless people have hollow cheeks, and all sorts of sores on their body due to malnutrition. They will always accept offers of meals at shops.

The cheeks could be from starvation, disease, substance abuse, age, genetics etc.

If they have sores all over their bodies that screams to me they meth heads, or maybe they are shooting Oxycontin. My understanding is that with oxy/roxy they get an itch and keep itching, i guess its pleasurable or satisfying is part of it, where they keep itching it until they get an open wound. Anyone could kind of do the same thing with say mosquito bites or poison ivy rash.

Meth heads, they get Meth Mites:

Meth mites, crank sores, speed bumps or bugs are common symptoms experienced by chronic methamphetamine users. Medically known as formication, this condition occurs due to the severe dehydration and chemical imbalance the drug has caused in their body.
alcoholrehab.com...

PLEASE URGENT! tiny black bugs from meth use.. possible?
they look like small loose black hairs. a few people i do meth with said they had bugs on them. and in thier house. they did seem to have bug bites but i never saw any bugs.. i assumed they were just tweaking and needed some sleep. now im not so sure.. is this actually possible to get bugs from using meth frequently. ive been in that same house and never got any before. please someone anyone tell me if this is at all possible! if its possible, what is the cure, treatment? i am 100% freaking out right now.

I know of one case study lowlife he was so bad with the stuff he now has a permanent skin parasite phobia paranoid delusion even now after supposedly being off the stuff for some years. He did things like rip all of the upholstery out of cars and crazy stuff like that.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I've seen where they were collecting as usual at a highway exist near an old house I lived in... somebody had given them 2 grocery bags of new store bought items, and a bag of McDonalds. They left the food and apparently some kid on a bke or something rammed them, I dunno exactly but whatever went down half the stuff ended up all scattered about by the time someone scooped it all. The fast food wrappers and even some wasted McNuggets where scattered in a long trail way down the sidewalk. And they were only out there for a few hours, its not like that was one of their camping spots.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

That was not a sworn police officer.

She was nothing but a meter maid, no arrest powers whatsoever.

Oh, and she needs to be FIRED immediately! Perhaps face battery charges too!

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The late great George Carlin said it best....." Golf course's the greatest waste of space ever". Sure could put up a lot of homeless tents on them. And it's houselessness they just need a house to rent that don't cost the moon. Some choose that life, but the majority does not. Waiting around for the government to help them out.....they'll die on the street.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The problem is that you have different degrees of homelessness and the solutions for each are totally different.

For abled bodied and mentally sound people, homelessness is usually a temporary condition. Someone gets kicked out of the house, so they sleep in a car for a few days until they can figure things out. Woman runs from abusive spouse and sleeps in shelter with kids temporarily. Having shelters and other resources to help these people down on their luck is a good thing.

On the other hand, you have the chronic homeless who are usually nut jobs and/or drug addicts. No amount of social services is going to get these people off the streets as the reality is they are incapable of functioning in society. Unless society is going to forcibly remove them from the streets and put them in a mental hospital, there is little that can be done to help these folks to actually get off the streets.

I see a few guys around my office in Chicago who clearly have a few screws loose. I mean no amount of food, bathing, and other services is going to help these folks. They are straight up bat sh*t crazy. I mean they literally need to be picked up and thrown in a loony hospital. Unfortunately, society won't do it for fear of violating their rights and nor do we want to pay for it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join