It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tax meat until it’s too expensive to eat, new UN report suggests

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: primespickle
Meat consumption is bad for everyone on the planet. The pleasure of meat consumption is fleeting and unnecessary.

If you chose to eat meat purchased from a grocery store, it was likely produced on a factory-farm that participates in animal cruelty. The greenhouse gases produced by factory-farming is killing this planet.

The meat you consume, is also killing you. Red meat has been shown to cause cancer and heart disease, which are the two leading causes of death in America. If humans were meant to be eating red meat in such large quantities, it wouldn't make us sick.

Our closest relatives, chimpanzees and gorillas, are mostly vegetarian. They eat meat only a few times per year which is what we as humans should do as well. The Standard American Diet that is forced upon us from the food industry is inaccurate, causes disease, pollutes the planet, and is inhumane.

I admit, I once enjoyed eating steak. Lobster and filet mignon was my most favorite meal and I always said if I ever was on death row it would be my last meal. But I changed. I found new foods that are just as enjoyable but don't cause so much destruction.

I chose to not let food control my life. I eat logically, now. I refuse to participate in cruel, destructive activities.
We are omnivores, look at our teeth, they'really made for Meat and Vegetables/grain. The problem is too many people eating too much meat that is raised in awful conditions. Organic free range chicken stock, I drink it everymorning and I don'the have to take Aleve for inflamation. The idea that eating meat doens't have health benefits is @$%#^& Retarded.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is the highlight of my day. I seriously hope this will materialize but I doubt it. I am a meat eater but there should be taxes on meat. Especially since it's scientifically proven certain meats are unhealthy and can cause cancer. Now completely unscientific but in medieval times, less people had cancer or were sick. Back then meat was much more difficult to come by.

So this will mean only the rich will continue to eat meat in large quantities, nothing changes really but the poor will have less meat and become more healthy. The rich can pay their medical bills, less poor that will have health problems due to too much unhealthy meats. Plus much less animal suffering.

It might appear as if we're going backwards on this since in medieval times it was the upper class that had plenty of meat and lower class had to do with less meats but it's actually a step forward, also because of increased knowledge about nutrition.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnnyjoe1979
This is the highlight of my day. I seriously hope this will materialize but I doubt it. I am a meat eater but there should be taxes on meat. Especially since it's scientifically proven certain meats are unhealthy and can cause cancer. Now completely unscientific but in medieval times, less people had cancer or were sick. Back then meat was much more difficult to come by.

So this will mean only the rich will continue to eat meat in large quantities, nothing changes really but the poor will have less meat and become more healthy. The rich can pay their medical bills, less poor that will have health problems due to too much unhealthy meats. Plus much less animal suffering.

It might appear as if we're going backwards on this since in medieval times it was the upper class that had plenty of meat and lower class had to do with less meats but it's actually a step forward, also because of increased knowledge about nutrition.

Back in medieval times ... people usually only lived until they were about half the age they attain today, too. Cancer is almost always a disease you attain with age. You reach that age because you have improved diet and health care.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: 191stMIDET

And for the most part, Gorillas eat insects not flesh.

People are conditioned to think eating insects is gross, much like they are conditioned to think eating meat is wonderful.

Supporting meat consumption because you grew up eating it and because everyone around you says its ok, doesn't make it so. Growing up I thought Christopher Columbus was a hero and our government was there to protect us. Boy was I wrong. Many things I thought were true, turned out wrong. Meat consumption is one of those things.

edit on 3-8-2016 by primespickle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Would you be apposed to lab grown/manufactured meat?

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
a reply to: DBCowboy

We love meat!
Now in Dutch!

Ehm yeah that is German (Deutsch) not Dutch just saying.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Like everything else, they'll tax meat and say that it is for your health.

But then they'll find that they need to tax something else.

Like veggies. Because they'll find something new to fret about.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: primespickle

Dude, you're evangelizing.

We get it. You are mostly a vegetarian.

I am cool with your choice. Be happy with it.

I am going to make mine.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Like everything else, they'll tax meat and say that it is for your health.

But then they'll find that they need to tax something else.

Like veggies. Because they'll find something new to fret about.

That's mainly because they'll never be able to tax enough money for all the spending they need to do.

In the end, they'll simply tax you for breathing.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: primespickle

I have to say while it is true one can eat insects if needed, it will not be the main course on my dinner plate! I have eaten insects, their larvae, amphibians, and reptiles too. Guarantee you, they will all be there after that last juicy slab of meat on earth! that is called a back-up plan for survival necessity. I am not in survival mode now, so my freezer is packed and that delicious aroma envelops my house! Lord knows, I have to cover up the disgusting aroma of steamed veggies, somehow!

Op: As far as prices going up, I swear I have already seen that happened as most meat departments here in Michigan have begun downsizing their selections!

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I think the age-old concept of poaching the "Lord's Land" will return sooner than the widely accepted concept of eating the cockroaches infesting your UN-allowed housing project.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I think the age-old concept of poaching the "Lord's Land" will return sooner than the widely accepted concept of eating the cockroaches infesting your UN-allowed housing project.

Lol. Whoa! That completely went over my head, dude! Obviously, I should not have started drinking my wine before hubby gets home. That aroma of steak, mushrooms and garlic with a dash of bourbon, is making my head spin!

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

People are conditioned to think eating insects is gross, much like they are conditioned to think eating meat is wonderful.

Yes just like kids are conditioned to be gay through television and violent through video games.

Not that bugs are actually gross and meat is actually delicious.

The only conditioning going on here is when PETA told you that chickens were important.
edit on 3-8-2016 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadFoot

Yes just like kids are conditioned to be gay through television and violent through video games.

Not that bugs are actually gross and meat is actually delicious.

The only conditioning going on here is when PETA told you that chickens were important.

Forgive me OP for going off subject, ahem. Though, I have to share. Last year, my family rescued some poor ducklings and a chicken that were not being cared for properly by our neighbors. The chicken was eaten by a fox the first night. For months, I had to herd those damn ducks out of my pond into shelter and release them in the morning. They destroyed the beautiful greenery of my own self-built concrete 7 tier waterpond. I did fatten them up, and studied online how to end my angst and bring a wonderful dinner to my table for thanksgiving and Christmas! Believe me, they enjoyed a much better life last summer fattening up, frolicking in my pond, rather than being dragged off by a predator animal or dying slowly from thirst and starvation by my negligent neighbors!
edit on 8 3 2016 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

This tax will only affect the people in the US and I don't get why is the UN even involved, US beef is banned in Europe due to the hormone content.

So I don't get it where the UN comes to this decision.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
UN.. go home you are drunk again!!

I have a easier solution. crossbreeding them with low emission Bison to reduce C02 emission.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

originally posted by: ketsuko

Lol. Whoa! That completely went over my head, dude! Obviously, I should not have started drinking my wine before hubby gets home. That aroma of steak, mushrooms and garlic with a dash of bourbon, is making my head spin!

Oh, I was making an Agenda 21 (or is that 30 or something now?) reference where they herd us all into packed/stacked urban areas and leave open large swaths of land that are off limits to everyone (but the power elite of course). It's just like the old feudal days.

I would bet that people figure out how to sneak out there and poach long before people tamely and meekly accept eating bugs.

And I say that as someone who isn't against the idea of some bug protein as a foodie, but I just don't see it ever replacing chicken, beef, pork, and fish on my menu. Those things have their place and there just is not substituting them and saying here you go ... chili fried mealworm! Don't you think that's better than rare steak?
edit on 3-8-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: johnnyjoe1979

ANYTHING can cause cancer btw.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
See Soylent Green, about our time. It's not just about one line at the end. It make a case for our times that are coming true. Climate change, mega inflation. Check it out. We haven't gotten there yet but we can see i from here.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
See Soylent Green, about our time. It's not just about one line at the end. It make a case for our times that are coming true. Climate change, mega inflation. Check it out. We haven't gotten there yet but we can see i from here.

Mega inflation is different from mega taxation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join