It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emirates airliner bursts into flames after crash-landing at Dubai airport

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

It plays a role, but it's normally taken into account during operations. In this case, they waited to retract the flaps, retracted the gear too soon, and didn't come up on power until it was too late. With no evidence of mechanical problem, it's all pointing at pilot error.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Geez, This sounds terrible, and very complex. Landing is hard enough, but with shifting winds, it get downright hairy.

I still can't why this happened. The TO/GA button should have driven the autothrottles forward. Heck, I would have jammed those forward manually.

I see the positive rate of climb could drop out, but the power should have been up right after pushing the button. With the flaps coming up to 20, the positive rate of climb, the excess energy in the aircraft should have been enough to at least keep the plane level, IF the power had been advanced early.

Too many automated systems, not enough manual inputs.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: cosmania

The throttles weren't advanced until after the gear handle was raised. They haven't confirmed it yet that I've seen, but it sounds like they didn't use the TO/GA button, or it was one of their last steps, instead of the first.
edit on 8/7/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
A number of weather related safety factors were identified. Yep of the four flights ahead of the accident flight went around, and when the accident flight started to go around q runway switch was being initiated.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Wow. Gets even worse. Tower knew that the wind was unpredictable. Not sure why they wouldn't just hold for 10 mins for the winds to change. I've never heard of, nor encountered, long term wind shear. It's typically a short lived phenomenon.

Also can't figure how you don't go manual throttle in that instance. Unpredictable winds, hearing 2 other aircraft in front go around, just seems like the kind of time/place to land manually in order to react as quickly as possible. In the Go-Around, I was always taught that the throttles go first. In manual, you could hit that even before you hit the TO/GA button.

Seems like tower was a little passive on the wind situation as well. Multiple human factors involved here.

posted on Aug, 7 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: cosmania

They'll ultimately blame the crew, because of the quick gear/slow throttle, but the tower was just as responsible. There is no excuse for not switching runways or holding landings, especially with a 50% go around rate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join