It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From the Moon to infinity (Star size comparison)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I saw the other day someone being surprised that Mars was smaller than Earth.

Take a look at this awesome star size comparison from the Moon to stars to galaxy to infinite Universes, that should clear up things.

In my next life i hope to be able to travel the Universe, explore and meet other civilizations that with out a doubt must be out there.

Enjoy

edit on 3-8-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

How does one go about expressing the inexpressible?

Hard enough to comprehend, in any meaningful way, the utter size, and yes majesty of a red giant like Antares, much less a Universe, and other, possibly, Universes along side it.

Gotta wonder if man was even meant to be able to comprehend such things other than in the absolute abstract?

I certainly can't.

Thanks for trying, though...

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The most amazing thing is, infinity goes in all directions, so even us or a grain of sand is "infinite" in size... explode

edit on 3-8-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   

It's way too late in my day for me to even attempt to go there...

But, yeah, mind blowing is one way to put it.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   
My first epiphany about gigantic sizes in space was when I was looking at a Hubble photo of the Orion Nebula in the National Geographic magazine, and it included a close-up of a tiny oval blob of "something" inside it, and the caption said that it was a whole "solar system" being formed.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Amazing video. We are just a speck of dust. Thank you!

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
My first epiphany about gigantic sizes in space was when I was looking at a Hubble photo of the Orion Nebula in the National Geographic magazine, and it included a close-up of a tiny oval blob of "something" inside it, and the caption said that it was a whole "solar system" being formed.

The Hubble deep field image was for me the moment i realised. Looking at it still makes my stomach cramp up a bit. Mostly with envy/sadness/whatever that we will never know whats in those places or visit them. So depressing. I just want to see it all.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Naah, not a speck of dust. Earth is really big...it's just that really big ain't all that much of a much in galactic/universal terms...

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Always love to watch that video. After the last star it just becomes incomprehensible how big our universe really is.

You can know it's that big, but you can't really feel how big it actually is. At least I can't, maybe greater minds can.

I remember reading that in some time, billions, maybe trillions of years, galaxies outside of our local cluster will be out of the range of detection.

I'm glad we are here to see it. S&F

edit on 3-8-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12

Amazing video. We are just a speck of dust. Thank you!

Yes..but the inhabitants of this speck of dust have done incredible work in understanding and manipulating matter and energy. Look at what we achieved in just the last 100 years. .

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Good point and yes the last 100 years humans have accomplished so much, it's amazing!

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Good point and yes the last 100 years humans have accomplished so much, it's amazing!

I am re reading a book called "the particle at the end of the universe". It's primarily about the Higgs, but delves into quantum field theory and quantum chromodynamics and I am in stunned awe at the level of understanding humans have of the subatomic world. The book has kept me awake for many nights. Stunned awe.

Not easy to read and I understand half of it, but I recommend reading it. Sorry for the off topic post Op.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
It makes me wonder how far might humans, or other civilizations, travel from their origin?

Surely a few hundred stars might become accessible with technologies and time frames we can conceive of.

The idea from there is time, automation, unlimited energy and the human spirit can colonize vast areas that are now inconceivable.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Question...

Why do the stars appear to rotate counterclockwise in the north and clockwise in the south?

new topics

top topics

join