It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama paid Iran $400 million ransom for American hostages: report

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: UKTruth

You're ignoring my arguments, much like a child.

Stop acting like one and I won't treat you like one.

Simple.

I see.
One might say that hurling insults around out of frustration when one has a weak argument is somewhat childish....i'll refrain from directing that charge at you though.

Now post me the January articles about an unmarked plane with $400m in foreign currency.
edit on 6/8/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

No. post me the stories about $400m in foreign currency on an unmarked plane.
Your links do not provide that.

You said this was all reported in January.
Details of the cash payment in foreign currency and the use of an unmarked plane please....

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Are you kidding me?

It's right there in the article.

It's you that's been going on about unmarked planes.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

I found one from January 17, 2016

Mr. Obama also announced the resolution of another argument between Tehran and Washington that dates to the Iranian revolution, this one over $400 million in payments for military equipment that the United States sold to the shah of Iran and never delivered when he was overthrown. The Iranians got their money back, with $1.3 billion in interest that had accumulated over 37 years.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Are you kidding me?

It's right there in the article.

It's you that's been going on about unmarked planes.

For the avoidance of doubt here is your linked article

Washington (AFP) - The United States is to repay Iran a $400 million debt and $1.3 billion in interest dating to the Islamic revolution, Secretary of State John Kerry said Sunday.
The repayment, which settles a suit brought under an international legal tribunal, is separate from the tens of billions of dollars in frozen foreign accounts that Iran can now access after the end of nuclear sanctions.
But the timing of the announcement, one day after the implementation of the Iran nuclear accord, will be seen as pointing to a broader clearing of the decks between the old foes.
US President Barack Obama defended the settlement in a televised statement from the White House, saying it was for "much less than the amount Iran sought."
"For the United States, the settlement could save us billions of dollars that could have been pursued by Iran. There was no benefit to the United States in dragging this out," he said.
Kerry said the claim was in the amount of a $400 million trust fund used by Iran to purchase military equipment from the United States prior to the break in diplomatic ties, plus $1.3 billion in interests.
Iranian-US ties broke down in 1979 after revolutionaries -- angered at US support for the Iran's deposed monarch -- stormed the American embassy and took hostages.
In 1981, the Iran-US Claims tribunal was established in The Hague to settle outstanding debts between the two countries, and Tehran filed a suit demanding the arms payment be returned.
Kerry described Sunday's payment of the 35-year-old trust as a "fair settlement." But the debt deal immediately drew the ire of those in Washington who think the Obama administration had already made too many concessions to secure the nuclear deal.
"Lining the pockets of the world's leading state sponsor of terrorism is not a strategy that will keep America safe, and Hillary Clinton should immediately condemn this payment," said a statement from Reince Priebus, chairman of the Republican National Committee.
“While it is a relief to see unjustly held Americans returned home to their families," Priebus said, "the Clinton-Obama nuclear agreement gives Iran too much in return for too little."
Kerry, in defending the agreement, said that "Iran's recovery was fixed at a reasonable rate of interest and therefore Iran is unable to pursue a bigger tribunal award against us, preventing US taxpayers from being obligated to a larger amount of money."
He went on to say all of the US claims against Iran at the tribunal had long been settled and had netted American companies and individuals $2.5 billion.
But Kerry added there are more Iranian claims pending and that the United States would try to negotiate to resolve them.

You said

Kept secret? Nope it was well covered when it happened, I've already posted an article about it in this thread. Not my fault if you choose to ignore it.

Can you please point me to the details of the foreign cash and the unmarked plane - or are you now saying it was not well covered at all?

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Obama made a televised statement.

Go troll someone else.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
www.nytimes.com...

I found one from January 17, 2016

Mr. Obama also announced the resolution of another argument between Tehran and Washington that dates to the Iranian revolution, this one over $400 million in payments for military equipment that the United States sold to the shah of Iran and never delivered when he was overthrown. The Iranians got their money back, with $1.3 billion in interest that had accumulated over 37 years.

The article in the OP in THIS thread relates to a Washington Times news piece which says, I quote

The Wall Street Journal, citing U.S. and European officials and congressional sources, reported that the administration procured the money from central banks in Switzerland and the Netherlands. The money was stacked on wooden pallets and flown to Tehran in an unmarked cargo plane.

Now I challenge anyone to provide me with these details reported in January in the mainstream media. We now have new information which is why this is a story and why constant side tracking about the January reporting are simple deflections.

Why do you think it was necessary to pay in foreign currencies and fly the cash on an unmarked plane?
Why $400m and not the whole $1.7bn?
How was the other $1.3bn paid?
How can the President possibly know how this money is spent - as his office claim? He can't, so why is he lying now?

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: queenofswords
Oddly, one of those detainees we American taxpayers "paid" Iran to release is staying in Iran!!!!!! He went back to his apartment and opted to continue living there!!!!!

Very little is known about him. His name is Nosratollah Khosravi-Roodsari.

Three of the others are: Jason Rezaian, Marine veteran Amir Hekmati and Christian pastor Saeed Abedini.

Also, note that Iran, after receiving our money for the "prisoner exchange" detained two more Americans. I will assume that when the next installment comes due, Iran will use these other two as leverage.

Also note that Obama made a settlement with Iran. This case had been in the courts for 20 years. Suddenly Obama decides to settle it?? Saving American taxpayers money??? Really??

Who is Obama?

it was THEIR MONEY!!...can you read English, or can you take 5 minutes to do some research on it.....geez....I feel like I'm in a bizarro world of stupid people.........

Who's money?

Did the ayatolla's make the deal with the USA 40yrs ago?

I think they lost their deposit when they took the hostages.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Obama made a televised statement.

Go troll someone else.

I see you have no answer.
Just as I suspected.
Pure deflection. Face it. You have NO previous stories of the cash payment, you have NO previous stories of the unmarked plane, you have NO previous stories on the foreign currency, you have NO previous story that links the actual payment date to the date of the hostage release.
Glad we cleared it up

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Are you truly this thick?

The Yahoo article is from January 17th

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...but...Obama paid Iran in "cash". Actual, physical money on palettes and bundled up, in the middle of the night, on an unmarked plane, etc., etc.

But Iran's money that we "froze" wasn't physical but electronic. What are you implying Obama did? How did he get physical money from electronic funds? The only way I know of is that we took OUR cash and gave it to Iran and we will keep or transfer the "frozen" funds back to ourselves.

Point being...if we gave them cash as we did...that was OUR money.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Are you truly this thick?

The Yahoo article is from January 17th

LOL, I will give you credit for trying.

Now post me the details referenced in the OP on this thread that you say were reported in January.
Specifically:
1) payment in cash
2) payment in foreign currency
3) payment flown on an unmarked cargo plane

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Still no reference from January regarding cash, unmarked plane or foreign currency.

Keep trying.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...but...Obama paid Iran in "cash". Actual, physical money on palettes and bundled up, in the middle of the night, on an unmarked plane, etc., etc.

But Iran's money that we "froze" wasn't physical but electronic. What are you implying Obama did? How did he get physical money from electronic funds? The only way I know of is that we took OUR cash and gave it to Iran and we will keep or transfer the "frozen" funds back to ourselves.

Point being...if we gave them cash as we did...that was OUR money.

What he did was wire $400m to foreign banks and got them to change it to foreign currency and then had an unmarked plane fly the foreign cash to the pick up point.
Around the same time the hostages were actually released.
It's a major story and rightly so, with frantic deflections by those that want to pretend all this was reported in January, which it was not.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   

I don't care. I don't care how it was dispensed. As I already stated, it's pittance to what we are still spending in the ME. I was just curious if I could find an archived article.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

I don't care. I don't care how it was dispensed. As I already stated, it's pittance to what we are still spending in the ME. I was just curious if I could find an archived article.

Some people do care - and more importantly it's the kick off point of this entire thread. The OP linked the story making the very points about how and when the money was paid. None of this relates to the January story, nor was it reported anywhere in January.

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 06:09 AM
link   

You originally asked about the $400 million, I supplied that.

I said the unmarked plane was irrelevant.

You said unmarked bills, now you're saying foreign currency.

Dunno what else I can say really....

I've shown that the media reported on the transfer when it happened, I don't see the importance in what currency or the type of plane used, but apparently that's really, really, really important to you...exactly how does an unmarked plane change things?

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   

What is your point or anyone's point on this money? I have been reading the posts trying to figure out why this is so important. Are you disappointed that this is over and hostages were released? If it took the right timing to return their money, release the hostages, and save face for the Iranians, better than war.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join