It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vote your conscience, not your anger

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper
Third party is a wasted vote.

I think that a third party vote is ALMOST a wasted vote. I think it is a wasted vote in that the United States is nowhere near the point where a third party candidate has a serious chance. HOWEVER, I'm sometimes tempted to vote third party because I think that although my third party vote wouldn't affect the overall outcome of my very blue state, if more and more people vote third party over time maybe... just MAYBE... a third party might start to get noticed and be taken seriously.

I can say that for this particular election, I'm not impressed with Johnson or Stein. Not impressed at all.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I have never voted FOR anyone. I always vote AGAINST the fascist. 

This mentality may be the biggest problem with our elections. This may have a positive influence if you're casting a protest vote, and you're willing to actually vote for someone who meets reasonable standards.

Voting against the worst candidate usually means voting for the lesser of two evils. This is what most people do, and the standards keep dropping every election.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I'm not truly impressed with either, but I know they won't win either, and I don't need them too. I just need to be another voice propping up third parties enough to become viable. We won't have actual candidates for a bit until we break up the republican and democrat monopoly.

Once third party becomes viable, or heck a third party candidate wins, even if they suck, we'll prove that people don't have to vote the lesser evil.

Once that happens we can start pushing some real candidates.

But first we need to make third party viable and no longer some weird fringe thing.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I disagree with nothing that you wrote.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I think that a third party vote is ALMOST a wasted vote.

No, what you have counts as one vote no matter how you use it. If you vote without educating yourself, and you find you voted for what you didn't want; then you've wasted your vote. If you vote for something you support, no matter how little support it gets from others, you've done what you can with what little influence you have.

I'm probably not voting this election. That isn't wasting my vote. If my vote is guaranteed to a candidate who I don't think deserves it, my influence as a citizen is wasted. I don't have much influence no matter what, just one potential vote.

I lean more towards the Libertarian end of the spectrum than the Republican. But if the republicans realize they need to do more to motivate their base to vote for them, I don't need a third party candidate to win for my vote to have value. All I need is for the republican party to know I'm willing to vote for them, but only if they're willing to earn my vote.
edit on 2-8-2016 by VP740 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Getting money out of politics will help third party candidates. And improve the 2 parties!

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie
Trump says he wants to hit speakers at the DNC who criticized him. He calls his opponent "the devil". He labels illegal immigrant families as criminals, rapists, and murderers. He does the same with Islam, alienating good Americans simply because of their religion. Rather than take the high road, he insults a Gold Star family.

LOL ... and this bothers you? This is exactly why Trump is Hillary's opponent ... and not Lyin' Ted ... and not NWO Jeb ... and not L'il Marco. Trump speaks what Political Correctness has silenced for decades.

He lashes out, and makes irrational suggestions like supporting war crimes or banning Muslims.

Good. As it should be. Let's take the cuffs off our military ... and let's ensure Sharia Law stays in the ME where it originated.

I say again, his own party commonly denounces the man

Well ... it used to be their party ... but now it belongs to Trump. They'll get with the program or they'll get the boot. The silent majority is behind Trump and that is perfectly apparent based on the fact he crushed all opposition to take the party nomination by storm. Goodbye RINOs ... and good effin' riddance.

I'll be voting for Hillary ... My conscience will be clear.

I'm voting Trump ... and my conscience will be clear too.

-Cheers

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Just have to add one admission... one more reason I vote Hillary... and trust me, it's kinda selfish, or superficial, but not really-- and I don't care, it's just the icing on top...

This is the first time we've had a woman nominee for president from one of the two major parties. It's ridiculous that it's taken this long. And now here she is... and I'm glad she's talking about bringing people together. I'm glad she's not speaking from anger, and that her overall persona is respectable (regardless of the controversy that surrounds her) -- she has fought for kids and those who struggle-- Her platform is about appealing to the goodness in people and that we are stronger together. A very positive message.

And what I'm getting at is... I have a 10 month old daughter, and I love the idea that my daughter could grow up completely taking for granted a woman president. It wouldn't be a "what if, maybe one day", but something she can totally take for granted as something that just IS from the moment she even knows what a president is.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Just have to add one admission... one more reason I vote Hillary... This is the first time we've had a woman nominee for president

So ... the whole thread was mostly a troll.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Just have to add one admission... one more reason I vote Hillary... This is the first time we've had a woman nominee for president

So ... the whole thread was mostly a troll.

No, actually the whole thread is really good with a lot of thoughtful honest opinions across the board. Honestly, your last two posts have been the most Troll-ish, the most insulting. I think you should try to relax a bit and be more open or at least respectful to the thoughts and opinions of people you disagree with.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualzombie

I, luckily, have my anger and conscious aligned. I vote trump.....

I sleep soundly.....g'nite.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Just have to add one admission... one more reason I vote Hillary... and trust me, it's kinda selfish, or superficial, but not really-- and I don't care, it's just the icing on top...

This is the first time we've had a woman nominee for president from one of the two major parties. It's ridiculous that it's taken this long. And now here she is... and I'm glad she's talking about bringing people together. I'm glad she's not speaking from anger, and that her overall persona is respectable (regardless of the controversy that surrounds her) -- she has fought for kids and those who struggle-- Her platform is about appealing to the goodness in people and that we are stronger together. A very positive message.

And what I'm getting at is... I have a 10 month old daughter, and I love the idea that my daughter could grow up completely taking for granted a woman president. It wouldn't be a "what if, maybe one day", but something she can totally take for granted as something that just IS from the moment she even knows what a president is.

Her platform is supported by lies and collusion. If she is what you wish upon your child, I fear for your capability as a parent.

In good conscience, I good not vote for ANY candidate. 3rd party included. TPP support is a deal breaker and should be for most tax payers.

Vag 2016! um...er....NM

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
If she is what you wish upon your child, I fear for your capability as a parent.

Yikes, that's a bit heavy. Relax, there's a reason it's not reason #1. It's the very last reason in the list, okay? And it's more of a bonus, than a reason. Let's keep it in perspective.
edit on 2-8-2016 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
If she is what you wish upon your child, I fear for your capability as a parent.

Yikes, that's a bit heavy. Relax, there's a reason it's not reason #1. It's the very last reason in the list, okay? And it's more of a bonus, than a reason. Let's keep it in perspective.

With all due respect, if this "icing" was part of your OP it would have materially changed my overall opinion of it.... and my initial reply would have factored that in.

Our son is 4 so I want to tell you something you already know.... Enjoy every minute while your daughter is a BABY baby. They grow sooooo fast. I know it's a cliche but I have to say that anyway.

Some more unsolicited advice... I can only suggest that you guide your daughter towards a better role model than Hillary. Do you really want her to aspire to be a person who's reputation is a liar? Our son has two role models. Mom and Dad. We aren't rich and famous but we are honest and generous and hard working.

If genitalia factors into your voting equation.... not sure what I can say that would move you to consider what that means.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

The reason it's not in my initial post is because the fact Hillary is a woman has no role in why I have chosen to vote for her. I outlined my reasons in my initial post. So, let's not blow it out of proportion. It's like a fringe benefit... I like that my daughter could grow up taking that for granted, and not even be a fan of Hillary, or care either way, but just take it for granted.

I would feel mostly the same if it was Sarah Palin. I say mostly because I do like that Hillary's overall message is a positive one. It's not fear the Muslims or deport the Mexicans... but Stronger Together. Yeah, it's a nice little bonus. But even if I didn't agree with the candidate, it would be a small silver lining.

edit on 3-8-2016 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   

To get money out of politics you need to first get people in who will actually do that, not just say they will in a pander for votes.

Hillary is pandering there is not an ounce of honesty or desire for her to get money out of politics. Her and her husband have built their entire dynasty on the very act of using politics to gain their fortune. Thinking they, who pretty much set their entire infrastructure on being able to milk the political machine are going to turn around and make the very thing they depend on impossible is, and don't take this offensively, pure lunacy.
edit on 8/3/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I'll be voting for Hillary because immigration reform and a path to citizenship is more humane than mass deportation and more in character with the ideals of America, than building walls. I'll vote Hillary because she believes in reaching out to our Muslim friends and allies rather than banning them. I'll vote Hillary because she hasn't openly endorsed war crimes while her opponent has. I'll vote Hillary because she already has established ability to communicate calmly with those who disagree with her, rather than engage in petty twitter wars. I'll vote Hillary because her campaign and the DNC awakened real unity and hope and positive energy in the hearts of people, versus Trump's RNC that inspired anger, divisiveness and fear. I'll vote Hillary because she has championed for those who struggle, while Trump has only championed himself. My conscience will be clear.

Your conscience will be clear...........for a time. And then you'll pay the price for your vote.

I'm voting my conscience as well..........I'm not voting for of these #sshat clowns.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I totally respect that choice. I disagree that I'll "pay the price" for my vote. If I was gravitating toward hatred and bigotry and just followed whatever line the white supremacists are standing in, I might regret that decision... but I'm not standing in that line, and instead I stand in the voting line that has a lot more diversity, a lot more openness and tolerance, so I feel pretty good about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join