It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Australia's about to move 1.5 metres to the north

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Fiona MacDonald 1 Aug 2016

www.sciencealert.com...

Due to tectonic shifts, the entire continent of Australia has moved 1.5 metres north over the past 22 years, putting it out of sync with global positioning systems (GPS).
To fix the problem, the government's announced that the country's latitude and longitude will officially be updated to reflect the continent's new position.
The Australian plate is the fastest continental plate on the planet, moving northwards and slightly to the east by about 7 centimetres each year.
. . .
To fix this problem, the GDA has announced that it will officially be updating the country's coordinates in 2017, based on predictions of where the country will be in 2020 - almost 2 metres further north than where the GDA says we are now.
. . .

Hmmmm
I can see how that would be rather . . . troublesome . . . in terms of autonomous vehicles being in the wrong spot at the wrong time.
I wasn't aware that Australia was moving faster than other land masses.
And I have no idea how this would relate to the "expanding earth" vs "tectonic plate" constructions on geographic 'reality.'
I think I'd read about the Himalayas shrinking but I'd forgotten by how much.
I wonder what dramatic changes this may involve in coming near years. Will such forces intensify and speed up, or not?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Australia took 22 years to move 1.5 meters. I am not going to put my money on it winning in Rio this year, that's really slow and is more of a problem for the GPS, not the continent of Australia.

So, I am not worried about the Earth, but it is troubling about the GPS.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I'm sure their government will find a way of making it's people pay taxes for their change of address.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: hubrisinxs

Australia took 22 years to move 1.5 meters. I am not going to put my money on it winning in Rio this year, that's really slow and is more of a problem for the GPS, not the continent of Australia.

With gps being acurate down to about a meter yeah it's a problem but only a minor one. So your phone thinks your 2 to 3 meters from its current position.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I haven't noticed anything obvious with my GPS in terms of where I'm placed on the map but I never check the absolute coordinates. Perhaps the roadmap makers are compensating for this small shift and can continue to do so?

I'll definitely notice when the GPS shows me driving through paddocks etc

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Mandela effect on the way.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

At the risk of sounding over competetive while it may have been slow it was faster than your country

As a Melbournian I welcome this news and look forward to the day our wonderful city is sitting about where brisbane is

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

So what happens to the Philippines, Taiwan, Guam, PNG, Japan in such eventualities?

Anyone know of a good projection map?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This shift would be impacting that fault responsible for the 2004 tsunami so the whole of equatorial SE Asia should be somewhat nervous about this movement. Indonesia in particular, the home of Krakatoa.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum

IIRC

Krakatoa is predicted to blow again in a big way in the END TIMES festivities.

I hope I'm wrong.

I recently watched the vintage movie about the one in the 1800's . . . I think it was the 1800's.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

Lmao I thought the same thing. Isnt there a claim that it's been moved?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

At the risk of sounding over competetive while it may have been slow it was faster than your country

As a Melbournian I welcome this news and look forward to the day our wonderful city is sitting about where brisbane is

If that happens I will be moving from byron bay to Melbourne

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Is it global warming ? Doesnt Australia pay their fair share in carbon taxes to prevent that if that is truly the cause ?
Better ante up more .

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum
This shift would be impacting that fault responsible for the 2004 tsunami so the whole of equatorial SE Asia should be somewhat nervous about this movement. Indonesia in particular, the home of Krakatoa.

If you are talking Indonesia then Tambora (super volcano) is far more worrysome. Anak Krakatoa is almost the same size now as Krakatoa was when it blew but it was far smaller than the Tambora eruption earlier the same century (1815), one of the largest eruptions in human history.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   

That is such a wonderfully Australian comment!

As a Brit i can't compete in the "my country is moving faster than your country" game..........so i'm changing it to a "my country is eroding faster than your country" game!

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The carbon tax was abolished on the change of government which is probably the whole reason for 'climate change' getting out of control once more (we stopped paying the tax). Not sure if the tax has any deterrent effect on earthquakes though.
edit on 3/8/2016 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Thanks - was trying to remember that name 'son of Krakatoa' (anak Krakatoa)?
Yes those volcanoes up there should not be provoked in any way based on previous performances. PNG has a lot of activity as well.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Abinkadoo

Yeah and it was much bigger

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

That is such a wonderfully Australian comment!

As a Brit i can't compete in the "my country is moving faster than your country" game..........so i'm changing it to a "my country is eroding faster than your country" game!

No worries mate

Anytime the English invent a game as soon as Aussies care about the game were better.

Cricket, netball, rugby you can keep soccer for the moment.

Ill predict this future headline now
AUSTRALIA 2023 WORLD CHAMPION FASTEST ERODING COUNTRY!!!!

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Let me know when they can harness this energy.

or

when someone proves australia was actually south of africa.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join