It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baltimore: Black woman shot dead by police during alleged standoff while holding son

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   
nvm

edit on 3-8-2016 by ReAdY2AsCeNd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: bbarkow

When a Bear, Lion, or other animal is threatening, authorities shoot them with a strong tranquilizer. When a human being is threatening, authorities choose to use lethal force.

Why???

Probably because a bear, lion or other animal can't kill at a distance like say a criminal with a gun can.

From the video that the murdered Mother recorded, the patient policeman standing inside her house, just around the corner of the hallway, could have shot her with a paralysis dart, instead of a lethal bullet.

Its ridiculous that police training doesn't seem to go beyond how to don vests, turn on lights/sirens, write tickets, and shoot easy targets.

Decades and decades have passed with no advancements in subduing suspects. It's probably by design. Tasers and tranquilizers probably aren't as "fun" as blasting someone out of existence.
edit on 8/3/2016 by carewemust because: see above

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

When a Bear, Lion, or other animal is threatening, authorities shoot them with a strong tranquilizer. When a human being is threatening, authorities choose to use lethal force.

Why???

Because the bear, lion or other animal is not holding a shotgun. Duh

When police officers knock on your door, answer with a shotgun.
Who in their right mind does that?

EDIT: Why did I even take the time to answer this asinine question?..good grief.

BTW, I don't even think this story is legit especially in light of the fact the last
4 out of 5 police shootings involving blacks have been shown to be theatrical frauds.

edit on 8/3/2016 by MrBlaq because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish

originally posted by: ReAdY2AsCeNd

a reply to: smurfy

By your link (not directed at you) the police fired a weapon at this developmently disabled woman and used her response to get a warrant more suitabke to their desires.

I don't believe anything they have to say. They should have never terminated the documentation of events. That alone tells me they're spinning some tale.

It is attitudes like yours that caused this event to take place. You push agendas/narratives beyond their limits to where "developmently disabled" people hear the agenda/narrative and buy into it. Then you turn around and blame someone else.

Circular logic.

End. of. story.

This event took place because the blue gang were tired of waiting according to their statement. Take a look at what I wrote again.

Both parties where wrong. However as the leo are the ones being paid and should have had the proper training the fault lies at their feet.

It's attitudes like yours that cause closed communities and hatred. If you refuse to even consider there was more consideration to public apperence then there was for this woman's life, I don't know what to tell you.

Personally I'm tired of the depressing news. This life was valuable. Crazy but valuable. You seem heartless but I find your life to be no less valuable.

They were being threatened by her and concerned for her son's safety.

She was wrong and the fault lies at her feet. What more could have been done to talk her down? Did they need to wait there for days? Did her whole family need to be brought in and a larger problem may have occurred? Did an army of psychiatrist's need to be brought in and put in harm's way? They had her previous record - as you stated - and they knew from dealing with her that she wasn't going to give up. She even stated in a previous video that they would have to kill her before they would ever put their hands on her.

I agree her life was valuable and not once did I say it wasn't! But again she choose to barricade herself in with her son and threaten to kill police if they didn't leave. She devalued her life and her son's life.

I am not heartless I am just trying to understand your logic.

edit on 3-8-2016 by ReAdY2AsCeNd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: paperdoll
I just watched the video of her during her traffic stop. She says things about not participating in "your laws" and just pretty much refusing to comply with anything. What's really hard to watch is her talking to her kids, telling her little boy to fight the police. I feel so bad for him and the other baby. I hope they're not too scarred.

edit: I don't know how long before the shooting this video was taken. I assume these are different cops but still.. To the people saying the shooting situation could've been handled better, in this video you see how she acts with, in my opinion, extremely patient police. She keeps repeating that the cops are going to have to kill her. Had she had a gun in this situation, it probably would've ended the same; don't you think? I keep hearing people say "mental illness". That doesn't necessarily mean she was unable to know better. I'd think many of the people who are shot by police are mentally disabled. It makes sense, unfortunately. I don't know if she is or not. I hope it doesn't become a trend to call all of these people participating in this destructive culture, "mentally disabled". The new excuse for when it becomes even more obvious that some of these people are in the wrong.

I rarely give stars but I did on this post. This is proof positive that she was unwilling to cooperate with LEO's. Even to the point of telling her children how to do the same. I, like you, hope these children aren't scarred from this ordeal. My heart bleeds for them.

That video was taken back in March and was the reason why she was being served an arrest warrant. Resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

This whole agenda/narrative has grown a life of it's own and become a monster. The lack of respect is staggering and the accusations and vitriol being spewed is widespread.

I am all for cleaning house on the dirty LEO's but on the same token the buck has to stop with resisting as it only tends to escalate things. Nothing gets solved.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: bbarkow
Please, God. Not again.

Racial healing is right on track in Baltimore. A black woman armed with a shotgun was killed by a cop while holding her child. Ended a six hour standoff. They were there to execute a warrant.

A black woman who was holding her five-year-old son was shot and killed by police in Randallstown, Maryland, on Monday afternoon after an extended standoff.
The 23-year-old Korryn Gaines allegedly pointed a shotgun at officers and said: “If you don’t leave, I’m going to kill you.” Authorities said that officers then fired and Gaines returned fire, but did not strike any police. The five-year-old boy injured a limb during the firefight but it was not initially clear whether bullets from police or Gaines struck him. The injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.

www.theguardian.com...

So ..... If the mother has a shotgun and she is holding her son, how could she have shot her son with the shotgun? The fact they say the child was injured without saying by who clearly indicates it was the cops because if it was anyone else they are glad to say who it was to shield the cops from the blame.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: bbarkow
. A black woman armed with a shotgun was killed by a cop

Sounds like a fair kill for once.

In what way was it fair? To kill someone just because they are talking tough by making threats does not of itself mean anyone else's life is at risk. The cops are who people who can exercise a lot of control over the situation so they take all time needed to talk the woman down.

Seems to me they killed her simply because she was taking up police time. If you approve of that, great, but dont winge when what you send around comes around to you or your family.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
Do all criminals deserve to die in the US? Aren't the police trained to disable at all? Surely she could have been shot in the leg or arm or wherever but not killed? I've seen some very very petty reasons for police killing some people when a disabling shot would have worked just as well. Some crimes really don't deserve a death penalty

This woman didn't steal a gallon of milk from the grocery store, she was harboring a fugitive, pointed a loaded shotgun at police and irresponsibly kept her child in the line of fire when summonsed with an arrest warrant.

Did she "deserve" to die because of her warrants? Of course not. Conversely, for the warrants she had, was it really worth it for her to threaten the lives of police officers?

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Do you realize someone died over a failure to appear?! That's a life!

I don't care how good you think the police officer was at shooting... They still shot to kill. I hope the lawsuit for this wrongful death pays for this child to go to law school and help others.

Every single one of the responses above my post shows why there are more people buying guns. The correct response was to walk away and send an expert to serve the worthless fta. Clearly none of these had any sense between them to make something that stupid a life ending issue.

This has to stop. The officers need better training. They need to value the people and treat them with respect rather than simply being bullies with guns.

While I'm sure you don't agree, many others do. We have a crime problem in this country but we also have an attitude problem. Sometimes it seems it is based upon what group the individual belongs to but not always. People feel they have a right to steal, fight, injure, break laws, etc. with no repercussions. And when they are locked up for breaking the law, you have others crying that we have too many people in prison.

The fact is a large portion of the US society has no problem breaking laws but then whine and complain when they are arrested. But the rest of us are sick of being hit, robbed, having our cars stolen, etc. If a police officer has to shoot and kill someone, like this piece of scum...society improves. These people are worthless and a negative influence on our society. The law abiding population has had to put up with these criminals and we are sick of it.

Break the law and you risk death depending upon the circumstances. If nothing else, it cleans up the trash so the world doesn't stink as badly.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Anyone who accepts the direction law enforcement has chosen to take when it comes to civilians is ignorantly inept at being human.

I hope it happens to someone near and dear to you. Maybe then you won't just lay down and accept the grave injustice your government has enacted as just.

When your government appointed civil servants don't posess the IQ points to analyze the sensitive nature of a situation and come to the conclusion that sending swat to a "disgruntled" mothers home is a reasonable feasable action then maybe one should seek a name change. Since these state and county appointed civil servants do not act in the interest of the public civil population, maybe they should be named judicial servants.

Actually judicial servants is very fitting. One entity which acts as judge, jury, and executioneer.

The problem here is this defies the constitution. What checks? What balances? There are only two branches here, and neither are made of olive.

Im done with the entire farce.

#Nolivesmatter

Finger salute
edit on 3-8-2016 by AlongCamePaul because: #ing grammar n #

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I would need to see the police officer's body camera to really judge, but to me she was off of her rocker.

Her traffic stop video pretty much tells me she was looking to die via suicide by police. As a black man, I know for a fact if I were to behave the way she did during a stop I'd have to be out of my damn mind. Officer asks for her license and registration, she refused to comply. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior no matter how upset you may be. I may be wrong for saying this, but there's a certain privilege that some black women feel where they think that they can say or do whatever they want to anyone without repercussion. As a black man, i know for a FACT I cannot act like she did because I'd be viewed as a physical threat by officers and killed. the way she hopped out of her car and walked up onto the officers would have gotten a black male shot (or any other male, honestly). And this is coming from a proud black man who knows when right is right, and wrong is wrong.

I believe she was mentally ill. Paranoia and anger from seeing the stuff going on in her city clearly contributed to her behavior. That being said, if she did indeed barricade herself with a shotgun aimed officers, she brought that on herself. Her boyfriend or whatever had sense to take the other child and leave. Its kind of baffling to see other black people defend this knowing damn well there's things no sane adult should and should not do especially with a child in the line of danger.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: 001ggg100
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

So, you think an individual firing a shot gun at Police Officers doesn't warrant a kill shot? If you manage to get her in the leg, she can still fire that weapon. That really is a situation where you don't want to take the chance of allowing her to fire that weapon again. I have to agree with the outcome here.

I think the police fired first, and she returned fire on her property.

Which one of these were wearing protective vests? Which one of these were paid to be there? They should have served her fta another time and arrested her if that's what was required.

I agree that it should have been handled better.

But she pulled the gun on the cops first, over a stupid warrant.

She had no regard for her sons life or her own.

I'm sorry, but the sister brought death upon herself. Now her child will grow up probably with a heart full of hatred and revenge.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

wait I thought it was cool to brandish a gun on your own property even if the police are there !

isnt that the law ?

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

a reply to: opethPA

Actually, I find the streets where the police won't go because they're scared of the "criminals" to be the safest and cleanest streets.

I also wonder if this entire thing will be politicized. There are already classes for children with certain diagnosed disorders on how not to be killed by police during interactions. I wonder if this will be used to make them mamdatory.

Cool story..is the sky also green in your world?

Come on down to the Badlands in North Philly or cross the bridge and go to Camden and continue your love fest of the criminals in the world because where the police don't go is the safest.

Uh...yeah, I concur with Opeth.

I live in Philly, can't wait to get out, and know firsthand that police "no-goes" are disgusting, filthy places.

During my 2 year stint as a private investigator, we often TRIED to make ourselves look like police officers without impersonating them. When you're staring at a front door for 8 hours in your car in "tidy" north philly, well you can guess why.

Sorry but that "actually, the places police won't go cause of da criminals are actually the cleanest streets you'll see" comment was straight idiotic.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

Let me ask you this: How do you think police should act when someone has a shotgun pointed in their direction, flat-out says that they're going to kill the police if the police do their job, and for all intents and purposes, have a child in a hostage situation?

Mental state and prior dealings with police become back-shelf concerns in a situation like this. They tried to end the stand-off by negotiating with (or, at least, talking with) the victim, and it was the victim's CHOICE to escalate the confrontation. You need to stop treating police like they must always walk on egg shells if someone is unwilling to comply with an arrest--place some responsibility on the shoulders of the criminal, would you?

And as for your claim about my comment--how is anything that I said to you a reason "why there are people that shoot anything in uniform?" That claim makes zero sense.

Also, do you have proof that the officers knew the woman to be "developmentally disabled" and that they purposefully antagonized the woman "until [they got] the response [they] need[ed] to kill her?" Because, seriously, that's a pretty asinine claim at this point, unless you have the inside scoop on actual evidence that has yet to be released.

Do you? Because, I'm guessing that you're basing such comments on ideological belief more than on a factual basis.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

The entire situation was asinine. Let's walk it through, the police fired first. The return fired allowed the change in warrant. The situation was escalated by the leo. At that moment the result suited their agenda.

So, your asking me if the leo served a warrant without doing proper due diligence? File a FOIA anything I say would be guessing. But they have no right to hold a weapon of they didn't.

Pay attention to my words. I'm not defending this woman's behavior. I'm pointing out the problem with the leo's behavior. There is a difference whether you recognize it or not.

I don't personally care what ethnicity a person has. That thought process is divisive. It needs to disappear. This was a person that is now dead. Death has no care to your ethnicity.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: paperdoll

More Sovereign Citizen fail.

She spoke the magic words, how come they just did not let her drive her car around with no plates? The people who promote this garbage are morons.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   

From the video that the murdered Mother recorded, the patient policeman standing inside her house, just around the corner of the hallway, could have shot her with a paralysis dart, instead of a lethal bullet.

Its ridiculous that police training doesn't seem to go beyond how to don vests, turn on lights/sirens, write tickets, and shoot easy targets.

Decades and decades have passed with no advancements in subduing suspects. It's probably by design. Tasers and tranquilizers probably aren't as "fun" as blasting someone out of existence.

You do know that the real world (someone pointing a shotgun at you while holding her child in her arms) isnt like what you see in Nat Geo right where you can shoot a running bear from a helicopter with a tranquilizer.

How about this ,if the criminal didnt want to get shot then dont point a shotgun at someone else with a gun?

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

I guess the difference that you are not wanting to accept is that someone has zero right--even on their property--to point a firearm at someone and threaten to kill you if you are doing nothing wrong. The LEOs were doing nothing wrong (whether or not you agree with that is irrelevant, as I'm talking from a legal standpoint), yet she felt it appropriate to do exactly what I stated in my first sentence.

It's obvious that she has zero respect for the law and holds and ideological hatred for law enforcement. There was no way that she was ever going to comply with the officers who were just doing their job and found themselves on the business end of a shotgun.

You don't have to defend the woman's behavior (because there is nothing to defend, so I'm glad you're not trying to do that), but you also can't just throw out ideologically driven hypothesis as to why the officers opened fire on her when there is plenty of evidence in what we know so far that she was asking for them to do this.

I don't know if she wanted to be a martyr for the "sovereign citizen" movement, or if she was feeling suicidal, or actually wanted to take the life or lives of the LEOs who were there--and honestly, I'm not concerned with that. I am, however, concerned with the fact that people, to include you in this thread, always seem to jump down the LEOs' throats and make accusations before you even really know what went on.

So, again, what have I said that leads to people acting like this to police officers. You never answered that.

ETA: It's apparent the we will just have to agree to disagree on the culpability of the officers on this one...at least until more information comes out.

edit on 3-8-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

ETA (again): This guy's take on both the video of her getting pulled over and the incident that led to her death is right on point.

edit on 3-8-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Why???

Probably because a bear, lion or other animal can't kill at a distance like say a criminal with a gun can.

How fast do paralysis darts work? Would it be fast enough to prevent her from pulling the trigger immediately after seeing/hearing them shoot it at her? Darts work on animals at a distance because they don't shoot guns the second they're shot at with the dart. I love how you call her "the murdered mother" btw.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join