It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sportbike v Tesla Model S.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
He is on a 600, and obviously never raced a day in his life... He wasn't even rev bombing.

My 2015 R1 (1000) would give that car a run for its money. It will do 0 to 60 in 2.6 seconds (as stated the Tesla Model S is 2.9). With the Launch Control System (LCS) it would keep the RPM at 10,000 and you can pretty much dump the clutch and take off like a rocket. Add to it the Lift Control (LIF) system which will keep the front wheel on the ground so you don't have to worry about doing a back flip when launching. Also, to top it off, and to keep up with the Tesla's lack of gear changes, the new model R1's have Quick Shift (QS) so you don't even have to worry about the clutch or throttle control after takeoff, just click up to shift, and its so smooth and seamless its makes it so you don't have any hesitation at all between gear shifts and or lose any time between gears.

The guy in the video was on a 600, and they don't really have much low RPM power, its all in the high RPM range, you really have to scream the crap out of 600s to get them to move, and that guy wasn't screaming anything. 1000s on the other hand will do 115 MPH in first gear.... and get you there quick.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

That takes all the fun out of it though,but it sounds like a cool bike for sure. Scariest bike I ever rode was an old rd350 Suzuki,rd was slang for rapid death,was quicker than my cb 900 bol d'or,and the 750 gsxr slingshot I had too....ahh the old days

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
You're a librarian.
Most of us are not.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne
He is on a 600, and obviously never raced a day in his life... He wasn't even rev bombing.

My 2015 R1 (1000) would give that car a run for its money. It will do 0 to 60 in 2.6 seconds (as stated the Tesla Model S is 2.9). With the Launch Control System (LCS) it would keep the RPM at 10,000 and you can pretty much dump the clutch and take off like a rocket. Add to it the Lift Control (LIF) system which will keep the front wheel on the ground so you don't have to worry about doing a back flip when launching. Also, to top it off, and to keep up with the Tesla's lack of gear changes, the new model R1's have Quick Shift (QS) so you don't even have to worry about the clutch or throttle control after takeoff, just click up to shift, and its so smooth and seamless its makes it so you don't have any hesitation at all between gear shifts and or lose any time between gears.

The guy in the video was on a 600, and they don't really have much low RPM power, its all in the high RPM range, you really have to scream the crap out of 600s to get them to move, and that guy wasn't screaming anything. 1000s on the other hand will do 115 MPH in first gear.... and get you there quick.

That seems like a tad much for first gear... I googled it and the highest speed in 1st gear that I found is around 103mph.

Other than that spot on, on your assessment.

I personally had a Ducati SR2 a few years ago ad did a fair share of road racing, good times.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: XL5
Although electric motors have max torque at low RPM, they still do better with a couple speeds. In the case of electric motors, it is not about power curve, it is about multiplying the torque you already have or getting more top speed.

Actually, electric motors do have an operating power curve. The higher the RPM in the motor the lower the torque until the motor reaches the maximum operating RPM according to the curve for said motor. I read that these cars have motors that peak at different RPM's and that is the reason for people saying the car does not have 691 BHP, since they don't give max output at the same time.
edit on 8/5/2016 by efabian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: efabian

It's 691 hp if you simply add the power of the front motor to the power of the rear motor. They are geared differently so they peak at different speeds (and according to what the computer software determines). In reality the battery pack limits the real power to approximately 550 hp.
edit on 5/8/16 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz
I understand that, but since the motors peak at different RPM's you don't get the full 691hp (or 550hp due to battery limits) at one time. The RPM power curve is due to hardware design limitations in the motor itself, it can not be adjusted by programming.
Note: By "it" I refer to the maximum achievable HP for each motor, lower limits can be adjusted by restraining voltage.

If all motors had the same power curve, the assumption of adding the max HP of each motor would be correct but this is not the case because the effective HP at a particular RPM is the value that is used.

Let's say for example that two motors have the following specs:
Motor 1: 100hp @3000RPM, 300hp @5000RPM, 200hp @6000RPM
Motor 2: 50hp @3000RPM, 200hp @5000RPM, 400hp @6000RPM

As you can see maximum HP for the motors are 300hp and 400hp respectively, for a total of 700hp.
But the maximum effective HP is at 6000RPM with 600hp.
The motors need to be looked at as a group for a maximum total hp at each RPM (effective hp). Not individually.

Nevertheless, the idea behind the different motor power curves is that when looked has a group, they give a near linear effective power curve.

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: efabian

Next time I get the chance I will record 1st gear top speed. I am pretty sure I've seen it around 115 when I hit rev limiter in 1st. Or maybe it was 105. Either way..

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Just had a thought imagine a motorbike with similar tech to the car. Imagine the acceleration on it

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom
Just had a thought imagine a motorbike with similar tech to the car. Imagine the acceleration on it

They do have them...

Zero Motorcycles
Victory Empulse

There are a few others. The accelerate about as fast a sport bike. However, typically limited to about 110 top speeds.

XL5

posted on Aug, 5 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Efabian, agreed if the front and back are geared differently. In my opinion though, if it does not have a 0-65 gear they are wasting power and an opportunity to look better on the charts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join