It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers, why do some of you do this?!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
Yeah, first world problems are a real headache, aren't they?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Yes, it's disgusting, but I gotta ask: were these kids walking into a mall with bare feet?? That's even more disgusting.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
I had to go to the mall today. I hate going there, it's a cess pool (just my opinion). As I walked to the doors, there was a woman with two young kids talking with someone from the malls administration. Apparently, from what I heard, her kids got cigarette butts on their feet while walking into the entrance.

This is kind of a 50/50 split between smokers throwing their cigarette butts anywhere they feel like, and the mall staff not keeping up on cleaning. It's still so disgusting. Some malls might not have receptacles for butts, but this mall does! Just put out your cigarette in the right place so they don't end up on the feet of literally the 90% of people who are wearing sandals in the summer time.

Gross.

Because some people disregard common courtesy. Smokers are demonized. We're forced outdoors, we're forced away from everyone, we're forced out of public parks, beaches, away from buildings etc, all because people aren't courteous to non smokers, and non smokers LOVE to whine. I had a lady stare at me for 10 minutes while I was smoking next to my car, in a parking lot. Why? No clue. But yeah, smokers should clean up their own mess and not be douchebags about it.

P.S. - why were her children barefoot? I don't know where this mall is, but there's a lot more horrible things to step on that cigarette butts. Needles being one of them.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

thank goodness you didn't overreact with your response

It's gross. Hell another set of smokers in this very thread think it is gross. OP didn't condemn smoking. OP even went as far as saying 50% of the problem is likely mall staff not cleaning.

But no....your response was totally reasonable and on par

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero

It's gross. Hell another set of smokers in this very thread think it is gross. OP didn't condemn smoking. OP even went as far as saying 50% of the problem is likely mall staff not cleaning.

Better leave the Cowboy alone, or you'll end up in his basement. He was joking by the way. Or was he?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

i never know anymore

and I may have broken my own rule and reacted without thinking

apologies

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Overall, smoking is a habit practiced by people that care little for others, let alone themselves. Flicking butts when done with them is just one aspect of that.

Its somewhat unconscious even, by the time a smoker sucks in all those toxins their are both satiated and disgusted, flicking the butt is a symbolic gesture of riddance. Pew, done with that... flick.

Expecting them to care about you, about what you think about them, their stink, their choking clouds of smoke and their litter... meh.

I am qualified to say this, I barely survived 35 years of cigarettes. Gasp... what a jerk.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Because I don't give a # about other people. As for butts though i always use the butt stop when there is one. I'll stop throwing my # on the ground when you people stop walking around in a toxic cloud of perfume and aftershave.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I just don't get why people litter, whether it's cigs or anything else.....Kathleen madigan had this really funny bit...I looked but can't find it....

it goes something like this...she is smoking outside by the dumpster and a lady pulls up in her car and harangues her for smoking....outside....she tells the woman (this was in Los Angeles).....when the big one hits I will be out here having a smoke and I will be safe...you will be in the building that will have collapsed.....

you have to hear it the way she tells it is very funny!

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Better leave the Cowboy alone, or you'll end up in his basement. He was joking by the way. Or was he?

Yeah, or was he. I think not, well, maybe joking as a defense mechanism.
"Seriously? Never paid much attention to it to be honest. It's not something that I've ever noticed."
This part though was no joke. A smoker who never paid much attention to it and something he never noticed certainly calls into question the ability to notice anything other than individual compulsions.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran
Because I don't give a # about other people. As for butts though i always use the butt stop when there is one. I'll stop throwing my # on the ground when you people stop walking around in a toxic cloud of perfume and aftershave.

But then again, as you like to point out, you ARE a sociopath.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I smoked for a couple decades plus and just recently kicked the often expensive and certainly smelly habit. However even when I was one of the many spitting out plumes of smoke I hated the ashtray/sloppiness factor of cigarettes. I'm not sure why some people find it so beyond them to clean up after themselves if they are going to enjoy a puff. The sloppy careless smokers certainly don't help the perception . It really shouldn't be all that hard to pick up after ones self after all.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
they don't biodegrade.

I wonder how difficult it would be to make a biodegradable cigarette..something that triggers reaction once exposed to water or something...
I wonder if there would be a market in that (actually, a more clever way would be to make it, test it, then bring to government and demand all ciggy companies adopt the "green" policy and use your filters..heh)

Cigarette butts are biodegradable, but it takes a few months. It would be impossible to sell cigarettes that have a filter that starts to degrade on contact with water. They would start falling apart in your mouth.
edit on 2/8/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

I heard that bit too. It was funny. But about litter, some people are too lazy to throw trash where it belongs. They don't want to be 'bothered'. So they are lazy and arrogant.

American exceptionalism.... 'Murica.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Cigarettes are made of leaves, paper, and cellulose fiber. The fact that they have been processed doesn't change the fact that a cigarette contains the same raw materials as all the "trash" generated by nature if humans never step foot on Earth.

The only difference is that the filter contents specifically will take longer than untreated cellulose fibers to degrade because of their structure. But they will still degrade. A cigarette filter is preserved cellulose fiber. Wood pulp. Do you get mad at driftwood because it's been naturally preserved and persists in nature longer than a branch in the Forrest would?

I wish everyone in the world was so lucky to devote the energy to complain about having some leaves and fiber making a mess of their beautiful concrete slab they exist on.

How silly. A cigarette butt on your foot? OH NO.

Hopefully this video of Jigger removal will bring you some perspective about the horrors of stepping on cigarette butts.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

It kind of ruins things when I have to follow up and soothe nerves.

I'll light a scented candle and do an awkward group hug.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

originally posted by: Klassified

Yeah, or was he. I think not, well, maybe joking as a defense mechanism.
"Seriously? Never paid much attention to it to be honest. It's not something that I've ever noticed."
This part though was no joke. A smoker who never paid much attention to it and something he never noticed certainly calls into question the ability to notice anything other than individual compulsions.

I was being honest. It's not been on my radar.

Now people who chew gum? I hate that. But it's an individual thing.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

And that is what it boils down too..

LAZY PEOPLE WHO JUST DON'T CARE..

I smoke , I have empty cans of tobacco with lids stashed strategically through our 20ish acres..if im too far from one I put it out on my heel and toss it in my pocket..

Throwing cigarettes out the window is my pet peeve...if your a smoker and your vehicle doesn't have a factory ashtray..buy one at your local gas station / convenience store... If you can afford the cigs, you can afford a 5 doller cupholder ashtray....

In the city if you don't like carrying butts around ( they Smell twice as bad as our clothes..) Carry a plastic airlock bag..put butt out and into bag and seal.

Common courtesy goes along way..

I may be more empathetic because I quit for 5 years, the smell killed me during that time, and not throwing your trash on the ground...well.. That's not common courtesy ...

It's common sense...

Edit to add- I am sry Intpr I replied to the wrong post

Respectfully,
~meathead
edit on 2-8-2016 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2016 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

It is lazy.
I've taken to smoking at home and using an e cig when I go out.
No mess, no waste, quicker and easier and its working out really well pricewise.
It won't suit some people but Im finding a happy medium.

Also. In the UK you get an on the spot fine for littering. I think its about £80 but may have gone up by the time you read this.
edit on 2-8-2016 by Tulpa because: Slow today

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982
wow I wouldn't be against lighting my feet on fire.. that is profoundly disturbing.. I have changed my view.. I have beautiful feet lmao

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join