It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Windows Defender necessary?? --SOLVED--

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

On the laptop, Windows Defender stopped and cannot be restarted.

First sign you may have a problem . Not everything is considered a "virus" by AV programs.
But , what would an old back-woods country feller know about these new-fangled gadgets ?

edit on 8/2/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

This is old but says a registry issue exists.
social.technet.microsoft.com... ue-and-error-code-is-0x800704ec

This is for Win8....would it work for Win7
www.thewindowsclub.com...

Another fix
wikifixes.com...

Any of these sound plausible?
We did have an unexpected shutdown on the laptop earlier this week.

edit on Tue Aug 2 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

We did have an unexpected shutdown on the laptop earlier this week.

Lets take that one first. Are you familiar with how to look at Window's system event log ? If so , look for event ID 6008 (event ID that states when you have an unexpected shutdown) Now , backtrack in time from there and look for any warnings or alerts. click the description of the event. Look down for an English translation (haha) of the event.

Put the other KB articles on hold until you find out what really happened. In some occurrences , to apply a MS fix to a different issue does not end well.

If needed , PM me. May be a little less of a load on ATS's server(s)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Yeah me as well... And one day Defender popped up n caught something... n I thought "what's that? "...didn't really look into it when switched from 7-10. It seems Defender.. being tied to windows must have it's benefits.. so with ccleaner and mal. bytes plus Kaspersky I hardly use... they all seem to catch n clean everything..

Thanks AW10! BEST... MS
edit on 2-8-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The shutdown was battery related.....otherwise it seems to run fine.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
So , one of those fixes may apply to Defender. Never used any Window's security stuff since Windows 3.11 WFW.
And you really do need an entire Security Suite. Say you accidentally go on a "questionable" site. Your IP is known and the ++++ fill it in with despicable words, use your IP address to implant some maleware on your system not registered in the defs or they disable the AV to where it shows still running. The nastiest kind .

i only mentioned Comodo as that is what I have used since my Norton days. Got tired of reupping my subscription . Switched around 2001-2002 . Never went back. But there are many others just as good. And they are free.

ISS with firewall , stealth all ports , use a good fast proxy and server , keep AV defs up to date , keep OS patches updated. Use Firefox if acceptable. (I know , not as many "goodies , but a HADES lot more secure). Keep Malewarebytes and a program named Spybot Search and Destroy around just in case you see any suspicious activity

Bingo - Happy Surfing

posted on Aug, 6 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Using this sorta.....as it's for Win8...I ran this as an admin
"regedit"

www.thewindowsclub.com...

The value for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows Defender is already set at 0

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join