It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. slavery reparations sought in first Black Lives Matter agenda

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

The agenda was released days before the second anniversary of the slaying of unarmed black teen Michael Brown by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri. Brown's death, along with other fatal police shootings of unarmed black men over the past two years, fueled a national debate about racial discrimination in the U.S. criminal justice system.

Issues related to race and violence took center stage at the Democratic National Convention last week, though the coalition did not endorse the party's platform or White House candidate, Hillary Clinton.

U.S. slavery reparations sought in first Black Lives Matter agenda

So BLM has issued a call for reparations for slavery. Some of the demands include decriminalization of drugs and prostitution.

I do find it odd that the NAACP is not part of this.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the nation's oldest and largest civil rights organization, was not listed among them.

I did find this a deal of good news however:

The agenda calls for an end to the death penalty, decriminalization of drug-related offenses and prostitution, and the "demilitarization" of police departments. It seeks reparations for lasting harms caused to African-Americans of slavery and investment in education and jobs.

While I don't agree with abolishing the death penalty, it is hardly a selfish demand.

Any of these black people who were a slave in the 1800's have my full support to receive reparations by all 1800's slave owners alive today. If you don't fall into one of those categories, want in one hand, shart in the other and see which one fills up first.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Pfft. Spare me the reparations pity party, BLM. My lineage criss-crosses so much of Europe for so long that I can't figure out which modern branch of the family tree to hit up for enslavement compensation. European countries in general owes me a ton of money for any & all possible slaves at any given point in European history. That's a lot of pots to pull from.

In all seriousness, no F's given on my part. At no point were any of my ancestors here during the slave era, I owe no one a damn thing. BLM can, however, hop on a flight or boat or swim or whatever over to their theorized countries of origin & suck an egg. I'm sure they'd be happier there, what with the rampant corruption, tribal bloodshed, starvation, abject poverty, and low life expectancy rates.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

no it's not, the uk was one of the largest atlantic slave traders the world has known, second only to portugal, which they over took in the second alantic slave trade era. you notice that i included every nation that was involved in the slave trade.

what's a matter can't stand feeling guiltily cause your ancestors maybe had a hand in the slave trade business. or is it just for the U.S. to pay, while the rest of the guilty bastards get off.

knowing that the british were the world worst offenders of black slavery,for over 250 years and exported it across most of if not all of the the british colonies in north america and the caribbean.

what you gonna do, cry when and if the U.S, allows black U.S. citizens to sue the uk and other countries for reparations?

or do you fall into the not responsible for the sins of our fathers crowd, which by the way is what i fall into seeing how at one point in time every race under the sun has been a slave to another.

edit on 2-8-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

You gave me whiplash.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Your comments would be more akin to that of a child.

I am well aware what Britain did during the slave period. And a dark stain on The U.K. i agree.

However when the U.S. gained independence they could have aboloshed slavery from day one. They didn't, and it took a civil war to stop it.

The U.S. after independnce was still importing slaves and their guilt is as great as anyones. Want to deny it ?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I'd encourage that as well. Maybe these people making demands need to see how good they have it in America.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

I'd encourage that as well. Maybe these people making demands need to see how good they have it in America.

Precisely. There's a reason they don't go back to their roots. It's called real poverty.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

wrong the biggest recipient of welfare is corporate america.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I am well aware what Britain did during the slave period. And a dark stain on The U.K. i agree.

However when the U.S. gained independence they could have aboloshed slavery from day one. They didn't, and it took a civil war to stop it.

The U.S. after independnce was still importing slaves and their guilt is as great as anyones. Want to deny it ?

You should never judge a man from another era by today's standards.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
a reply to: crazyewok

wrong the biggest recipient of welfare is corporate america.

Who do you think suffers the most from welfare dependency?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
What about the white slaves?

What about the black slaves owned by blacks?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Hello no! I'm pissed at you guys for not keeping me in the loop.

Reparations are in order

Checks in the mail.
edit on 8/2/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAmazingYeti
Good! We need to pay reparations and put this mess behind us already.

The case for Reparations

And if thy brother, a Hebrew man, or a Hebrew woman, be sold unto thee, and serve thee six years; then in the seventh year thou shalt let him go free from thee. And when thou sendest him out free from thee, thou shalt not let him go away empty: thou shalt furnish him liberally out of thy flock, and out of thy floor, and out of thy winepress: of that wherewith the LORD thy God hath blessed thee thou shalt give unto him. And thou shalt remember that thou wast a bondman in the land of Egypt, and the LORD thy God redeemed thee: therefore I command thee this thing today. — deuteronomy 15: 12–15

GOing by your scripture quote the Slaves who were freed have already been paid the wages for their captivity.
Many union army former slaves were paid as well.

SO no I am not going to pay anyone reparations. Ill burn my house and assetts before i give any away for something I didnt do. Everythread you go in you Troll it.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

why cause i pointed out that the U.S. wasn't the ones who started the african slave trade in north american colonies.

and your wrong about that, just like the uk in in 1807 the U.S banned importing slaves.
from the wiki cause it's fast.

The Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves of 1807 (2 Stat. 426, enacted March 2, 1807) is a United States federal law that stated that no new slaves were permitted to be imported into the United States. It took effect in 1808, the earliest date permitted by the United States Constitution. This legislation was part of the general trend toward abolishing the international slave trade, which individual U.S. states had restricted during the American Revolution, and the national Congress first regulated against in the Slave Trade Act of 1794. The 1807 Act ended the legality of trade with the U.S. However, it was not always well enforced and slaves continued to be imported in limited numbers. Slavery itself continued in the United States until the end of the Civil War in 1865 and the adoption of the 13th Amendment to the Constitution. The domestic trade inside the U.S. was unaffected by the 1807 law.
Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves

The Slave Trade Act 1807 or the Abolition of the Slave Trade Act 1807,[1] was an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom passed on 25 March 1807, with the title of "An Act for the Abolition of the Slave Trade". The original act is in the Parliamentary Archives. The act abolished the slave trade in the British Empire, in particular the Atlantic slave trade, and also encouraged British action to press other European states to abolish their slave trades, but it did not abolish slavery itself. Many of the Bill's supporters thought the Act would lead to the death of slavery, but it was not until 26 years later that slavery itself was actually abolished.[2] Slavery on English soil was unsupported in English law and that position was confirmed in Somersett's Case in 1772, but it remained legal in most of the British Empire until the Slavery Abolition Act 1833.
Slave Trade Act 1807

and here is a nice little tid bit, out of the estimated 12.5 million slaves brought to the new world less than half a million came to the U.S during anybodies rule.

The most comprehensive analysis of shipping records over the course of the slave trade is the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database, edited by professors David Eltis and David Richardson. (While the editors are careful to say that all of their figures are estimates, I believe that they are the best estimates that we have, the proverbial “gold standard” in the field of the study of the slave trade.) Between 1525 and 1866, in the entire history of the slave trade to the New World, according to the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade Database, 12.5 million Africans were shipped to the New World. 10.7 million survived the dreaded Middle Passage, disembarking in North America, the Caribbean and South America.

And how many of these 10.7 million Africans were shipped directly to North America? Only about 388,000. That’s right: a tiny percentage.
How Many Slaves Landed in the US?

they also figure that 60 to 70 thousand came into the U.S from caribbean and south america.

and here is a paper written in 2007 by the president of Albany Law School, about the things the U.S. did to end slavery before 1863.

While Congress did not have the power to end the international slave trade, it did have the power to regulate it, and starting in 1794, it did just that.
In March, Congress prohibited the use of any U.S. port or shipyard for the purpose of fitting out or building any ship to be used for the introduction of slaves. The law also prohibited ships sailing from U.S. ports from trafficking in foreign countries. Ships sailing from the United States to Africa, even if of foreign registry, were required to "give bond with sufficient sureties, to the treasurer of the United States, that none of the natives of Africa, or any other foreign country or place, shall be taken on board... to be transported, or sold as slaves in any other foreign place, within nine months thereafter." Penalties under the law included fines ranging from $2,000 for outfitting a ship to $200 for an individual working on such a vessel. The act provided that the ships could be confiscated, and half of all fines given to any informants, thus providing an incentive for ship captains and mariners to monitor the activities of anyone they suspected of being involved in the illegal slave trade.
The Abolition of The Slave Trade U.S. Constitution and Acts

the not allowing it to take place before 1808 is said by some, to be due to still thinking like a british subject and chasing commerce, can't allow any thing to get in the way of making more money. now tell me that britian didn't have a company set up for everything it did. many of the founding fathers had that mentally to.

don't you just hate those pesky facts.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

The American tax payer and I guarantee more money is being siphoned out of my check for corporate welfare than goes to some "welfare queen"! You want to stop welfare start w the lifelong politicians scamming lifelong pensions and the corporate lobbyists that bribe them for more "welfare"

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'm good with it I will miss some of my coworkers but they have Facebook in Africa and it will be interesting to see how they change the country.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Yes, I do find it ironic that they want reparations for something they will indeed have to pay for.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I can't imbed from tablet but these two YouTube videos address this exact thing.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Sorry, not the least bit interested in turning my 1st world nation into some cruddy, 3rd world garbage dump where everybody just does what they want to and there's no consequences for anything that goes against a civilized world's rules. Seems like they're wanting decriminalization of EVERYTHING that would destroy, devalue and de-evolve humanity back to the 3rd or 4th century mindset that's slithering out of the darkness and wanting to destroy us as it is!

"Reparations" for WHAT exactly? I can't think of one ethnic group of people who haven't been waged war upon, taken as slaves, used, abused and treated like dirt...besides, who's going to pay them? In the Real world, that's just LIFE! Does anyone realize we'd have to go all the way back to Adam and Eve just to BEGIN collecting for what some people are ignorant enough to actually "THINK" they're owed? Even one penny? There's absolutely no end or depth to the ignorance of anyone with the gall to truly believe they're OWED anything beyond payment for an honest days work. Need and want money? Then get your lazy butts out there like everyone else and WORK for it. Nobody OWES you a damned thing buddy, so get over yourself, quit whining and staring at your empty hands, fridge or bank account. YOU and YOU ALONE are responsible for Y O U. The guilt card doesn't fly and gets nowhere in the REAL world.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   
On Penn & Teller's "Bull#" show (love that show!), they explored the issue of reparations. They had this one black intellectual guy, and he was good. He found the idea of reparations charity to be offensive, was my impression of him. He went on to list the gaggle of welfare type programs that blacks have been living on 'forever' now, arguing they've already been getting reparations.

EDIT: I couldn't find a video of the interview in GooTube, but I did find the guy, and he basically gets at the heart of the issue here:

BLM here is just causing more sabotage with this, as usual, instead of attacking the White House policy that is responsible for the systematic oppression of the Black community. They could 'make' Obama issue an Executive Edict / Edict Order and repeal the policy. But they wont (because after that there's hardly any remain point in them existing, them or the SJW's which the BLM are too).

I recently moved from a big city. Next to my old neighborhood, a 5 minute walk, there was an old scary looking house projects area that got a big makeover some years ago. This one wasn't some huge industrialish looking building, lots of 'quad-plex' houses they are. SO the .gov went in and fixed everything up, and it looks great from the street. They painted each dwelling a different color scheme all using pastel paints, and added lots of plants & palms. The "Pretty Projects" I always called it.

Walking through there at night from time to time I'd see their huge flat screen TV's up on the walls. Driving through there all the time I routinely saw their cars. Most of them new and shiny. Many of them very nice, some big names, such as Mini Cooper was even one of them. Many pimped out hoopty rides, not tons of them but still the money going into a "Pimp My Ride" can't be cheap. Now when you'd get the block over to all the home owners houses, I could take you there right now and you'd agree the pretty projects people are living way larger then the people who actually have to pay off their house.

Dave Chappelle's take on Black Reparations was an eye opener:

edit on 3-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join