It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't know what to do... What should I spend my money on?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Alrighty, I'll be back with the picture.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: lazyfortress
a reply to: Trueman
He always wants to be able to prove me wrong, even though I am correct!

And dad really never pays attention to me anymore. He only focuses on mom. "Oh, screw our son!"

This happens . I always hated the fact my children would be leaving the nest. Until that day got close. When the last one left , I enjoyed a bottle of fine Cognac and a Very good cigar in celebration

What should you buy. Nothing . Save your money , and when the time comes , leave the nest. Then , you will not be on here asking what you should buy. You will be free to buy whatever you would like. Except , watch the expenditures vs the income.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: lazyfortress

edit on 1-8-2016 by lazyfortress because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Aw, come on! I tried the *[*pic]blah blah blah[/pic*]*! Why isn't it working?

edit on 1-8-2016 by lazyfortress because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I'll be back on tomorrow. My dad's telling me to get off the computer.

See you all tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Listen to your dad......later on in your life, when your dad is no longer around to "hound" you . You will realize the very best advice you ever got in your entire life came from his mouth/mind. Dad's want the best for their children, yours is no different. Instead of flight simulator why not go to RC controlled planes....and take your dad with you into the hobby. If he's into it as well, the wallet tends to open more often.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Holy Sh**, you've got to be kidding. Your kids are never "'second" and telling any kid that is pretty crappy advice. Dad should be able to split his time and spend quality time with both.'

Op - How old are you and where do you get your money?
edit on 1-8-2016 by DAVID64 because: puncuation

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

rich people problems right?

but seriosly get your money and spend it on what ever u want. I would buy a real sword.

just saying that is what i would do if i was rich, or gold.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I like this kid! I hope you get what you want Babe! If you play your cards right you can have your cake and eat it to.
You gotta know when to hold 'em,; know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away, and know when to run.

Good luck!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
You gotta know when to hold 'em,; know when to fold 'em. Know when to walk away, and know when to run.

I wish someone quoted Kenny Rogers to me when I was younger. I got George Thorogood's One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer so instead of a degenerate gambler I ended up an alcoholic.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

There's still time. Vegas is thataway. The drinks are free as long as you're playing, so you can combine both hobbies. Win Win!!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I always got george thorogood`s "get a haircut and get a real job"

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

You guys are the closest friends I have. I come here for advice.

Oh, no....now you've made me cry!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Tell your Dad to step off. ( Do not phrase it like that obviously. Or say anything, just do it). Spend your money how you see fit. It is yours to spend you said. Its not like you are asking to go buy weed with it.
That being said if i had the cash for flight stuff id buy a quality drone. Those things are awesome.

Tons of worse things you could be spending your money on at your age. It sounds like you already have a passion so persue it. The only video games i ever played was for pure fantasy and blowing crap up.

Earning some extra money for stuff like this is good advice too if you feel guilty about it. You shouldnt though.

And honestly just enjoy life man! You are smarter than most people if you can say academics first before women at your age. I sure was not. Make some real friends. Have fun with them. Itll all change after high school. Trust me.

Eta: do not listen to that guy who said you should be second to your dad while your mom is first. That couldnt be further from the truth.

edit on 1-8-2016 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Talk to your dad. Let him know that you appreciate his advice, and then respectfully explain why you want what you want, and that you feel you should have some say in how you spend your money. If it's yours, and for entertainment, it should be your final decision. I will advise my kids, for things like that, but they decide. Unless I feel something is a serious waste of money, it's not a big deal.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
A Tesla ray gun could be fun..

I agree with the others talk to your dad & your mom. Mothers should also have influence over their children's well being no?

I hope it works out for you either way.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I was always embarrassed at showing that I like girls near my parents. It's embarrassing. Showing who I have a crush on. That's why I keep women/girls to myself and close friends.

I don't know if you've noticed on this site, but I can easily be quite the smartass from time to time--basically sarcasm is my first language, English is a distant second.

My 12-year-old son has just started being interested in girls (he has Asperger's and is a bit behind that maturity curve), but he was so nervous letting me know about his crush on a girl in the neighborhood that he made it a point to tell my wife first, and to ensure that she told me not to make jokes about it because it would make him uncomfortable.

As hard as it was to do, I complied with his request, and it has made life for him so much easier (and for me, because he trusts me more to talk to me about that kind of stuff openly without fear of sarcasm and jokes). But, I was in the same boat as you growing up, and I never felt comfortable discussing that stuff with my dad. Hell, I don't think that he even knew when I started liking girls--we never really even had "the talk" at any point during my maturity. I'm surprised I even knew how to create my two children...lucky guess, I suppose.

When I was a teenager, I spent most of my money on my '66 Mustang, and my dad helped me work on it (he used to own a '30 Model-A street rod, '65 Chevy truck, '65 MGB, etc...he liked cars). Needless to say, he was supportive because he held the same interest--he could have easily been a parent that sees cars only as a way to get from point A to point B and nothing more.

It seems as though your father does not hold the same interest, and therefore he doesn't understand the "why" behind you wanting to pursue such things. I think what you should do is approach this subject in a way that shows that it could be an investment on your future. The skills that it takes to build things (especially electronics, if you're into that) and control flying things via electronic controls is a field of employment that will only grow in the future. Maybe approach it that way and see if that helps him come around a bit. Who knows--maybe even ask if he'll help you in the building of some of the stuff. Even if he says "no," you sent out a proverbial olive branch that may soften his approach to controlling your money.

Sorry if that was too long and rambled on. I'm tired.

ETA: Also, keep the ace up your sleeve of being willing to compromise--say that you'll save 30% of your money and only spend 70% on these endeavors. That will show that you are approaching the subject of money with an open mind about saving, and that's probably a big part of your dad's reluctance/denial of letting you spend your money on these things (he probably sees it as a waste of money). Showing financial maturity will go a very long way with most parents.
edit on 2-8-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Perhaps all of you . . . particularly dad . . . need to read:

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470162606&sr=1-1&keywords=attachments+why+you +love+feel+and+act+the+way+you+do#navbar

ATTACHMENTS: Why You Love, Feel, and Act the Way You Do

Sounds like he had serious ATTACHMENT DISORDER from his dad, too.

It's not cool to have passed the problem on to you, too.

Sigh.

edit on 2/8/2016 by BO XIAN because: wrong link

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting
Am I sensing sarcasm?

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join