It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV License now required for Catch Up TV

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I dont have a TV so i dont buy a licence.
I get a visit every 2 years i think it is, the guy is friendly so i let him in after telling him i still dont have a TV.
He has a quick look in my living room, he says thank you, shakes my hand and leaves but i am always surprised he never checks my pc to see if i have a TV tuner which i dont but it does surprise me.
Why do i let him in? because i couldnt be bothered with him calling every few days banging on my door.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Redback
I get a visit every 2 years i think it is, the guy is friendly so i let him in after telling him i still dont have a TV.
He has a quick look in my living room, he says thank you, shakes my hand and leaves but i am always surprised he never checks my pc to see if i have a TV tuner which i dont but it does surprise me.
Why do i let him in? because i couldnt be bothered with him calling every few days banging on my door.

tell him to piss off as you shut the door, if he comes back, deny right of access.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: tom.farnhill
a reply to: bigyin

if everyone stopped buying the license , they would have no choice but to scrap it

'They' would pick on a few, fine them to death, then imprison them for years, as an example, want to volunteer?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Redback

Do you have a smart phone ?

If so then you should have a tv license

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
tv license is akin to having wallet inspectors.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Jonjonj

Your personal opinion regarding BBC aside, its not like the nation requires the BBC(its not a necessity).

There are plenty of other FREE alternative channels that accommodate and even surpass the content supplied by said pedophile ridden broadcasting company.

Wow, not sure what to say really, why don't you tell me how you really feel?

I like the BBC, I like TMS and the sports coverage and Dr Who and Sherlock Holmes...

So you watch what you like and I will do the same, how's that?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Say what you wish Jonjonj its a discussion.

Perfectly acceptable to me.

Just trying to make you aware that there are other options to watching TV that don't involve being extorted monies so fat cat directors can live the life of riley.

I like Dr Who and Sherlock also but there not worth being extorted.

edit on 2-8-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigyin

Do you have a smart phone ?

If so then you should have a tv license

I think i am missing something here...!!!!
Yes i have a smartphone, an ipad, a tablet and a laptop but i dont watch live tv which is what the license is for is it not?
Or had the law changed again???? The inspector has never asked me about a smartphone before, maybe you can enlighten me.

If i ever start watching live tv i will buy a license but not for my stupid phone, sorry smartphone which i use for contacting people!!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigtrousers

tell him to piss off as you shut the door, if he comes back, deny right of access.

The guy that calls at my address is polite, TBH i was sort of hoping he was going to be an ass the first visit and then i was going to have a go at him but like i say he was polite and thanked me so i didnt have a problem.

I know i can refuse him and take my address off their stupid computer but i cannot be bothered.lol
He sticks his head in my living room and leaves, he has never asked about my bedrooms but that is where i would call it a day and no there is no tv in the bedrooms

I have nothing to hide and cannot be bothered with the hassle

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Redback

As you can see from the videos provided in this thread and various others available on YouTube they are however not all kind and respectful. Some of them are downright violent and hostile in the extreme.

Extorting monies for any reason is beyond reproach, even when its done with a smile. But when done with violence, that's a a serious crime.

edit on 2-8-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   

The law is changing so if you use iPlayer you need a license.

The point is though just having a tv in your house will likely make you need a license whether you switch it on or not.

So does that mean having iplayer app installed, which sometimes comes as standard on some devices means you will need a license. I don't know. Just asking.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

The point is though just having a tv in your house will likely make you need a license whether you switch it on or not.

So does that mean having iplayer app installed, which sometimes comes as standard on some devices means you will need a license. I don't know. Just asking.

if we re a country run by the people then this extortion racket shouldnt even exist, bbc is pish compared to pretty much every other channel.

even ch5 has better stuff on it and thats always been free.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

If you have no TV, don't pay it.

If you watch 'Catch up' TV on the net, how are they going to Monitor it?

If you don't watch 'catch up' TV, how are they going to Monitor it?

To my knowledge there is no way anyone can Monitor what you watch on the Net, unless you already subscribe to certain sites such as Iplayer or Netflix etc. with their cookies! They wouldn't be able to Monitor if you watch 'Catch up' TV unless they have someone sat in your house all day or had some spy camera set up watching you all day.

Besides, if you only watch 1 or 2 programmes on 'catch up' TV, why should you be liable to pay the Full Fee? It's rubbish and they can't prove anything.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
on one hand, the tv tax is soo incredibly stupid

on the other hand...it is the thing that keeps Doctor Who going...

I think a flat entertainment and PBS tax for all, regardless of usage, would perhaps be best, growing and shrinking with inflation

No. Why should someone who only watches 1 or 2 Programmes have to pay the same amount as people who watch way more?

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I don't get the problem here? Iplayer is for streaming BBC services. The BBC require a licence fee - therefore if you want to experience BBC content, you pay the licence fee. If you don't want BBC content, don't pay and it isn't a problem as you won't be watching Iplayer.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
wow... you sound like someone who is REALLY worried about this stuff. Why?

If you have a TV and watch it... pay it. If you don't have a TV or watch playback TV on any device... don't pay it.

Simple.

If you have iplayer on your internet or phone... don't pay it. It's there for you but don't watch it.

Simple.

Even you do watch TV on your Phone, tell them that you don't.

Simple.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I fully agree Andy and no way would i let them hateful gits through my door, no way!

As i said before the guy that calls at my door is polite and gives me no trouble what so ever and as i dont have a tv i have no trouble with him looking in my living room, maybe a little complicit but it is just easier for me that way.
I hate the BBC and all what goes on at it and i fully believe that it should have been closed down by now but our great government knows best

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Ok, i understand what you mean now.
I cannot remember if my phone came with the bbc iplayer or not but it would have been one of the first things to be deleted BUT if the BBC think that by putting their crap iplayer on phones, us people then need to buy a license is so wrong in my eyes and i wouldnt buy another smart phone.

As i said before, i dont have a tv so i dont need a license, if i do decide in the future that i want a tv THEN i will buy a license.
I know the BBC wants every household to buy a license and i think we will be hit with that tax soon but it is not fair on people like me!

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

You dont need a license to watch netflix, you only need a license if you watch live tv or the BBC iplayer

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigtrousers

if we re a country run by the people then this extortion racket shouldnt even exist, bbc is pish compared to pretty much every other channel.

even ch5 has better stuff on it and thats always been free.

Fully agree BT apart from the ch5 bit, i know nothing about ch5.lol The BBC should be in a court of law explaining what goes on there and then should be closed forever.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join