It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After School Satan Club could be coming to your kid’s elementary school

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The Satanic Temple is planning to launch a new program to combat existing evangelical programs. The After School Satan Club (A.S.S Club) is a brilliant program and that insures everyone is staying honest.

Educatin’ With Satan. The description of the YouTube video is the news release

The Satanic Temple (TST) has announced that this coming school year (2016) will find their organization operating in elementary schools across the nation where they will be offering their new After School Satan Club program to students. While the presence of a religious organization in public schools will no doubt be shocking to some, evangelical litigants -- primarily the Child Evangelism Fellowship (CEF) represented by lawyers from the Liberty Counsel -- have solidly established the legal rights of religious organizations to operate clubs in public schools.

According to the CEF website, “[...] the United States Supreme Court ruled that a public school which allows use of its facilities to secular groups may not discriminate against religious groups.” And now that the CEF has established its Bible-based Good News Clubs across the nation, TST are eager to offer their own after school clubs, which will focus upon “critical reasoning, independent-thinking, fun, and freethought.”

According to TST spokesperson, Lucien Greaves, “School districts across the nation are now receiving letters from The Satanic Temple explaining that we will be offering our clubs in their schools this coming school year, and parents in those schools can expect to be presented with a permission slip from their children in the first weeks of the Fall semester. All of the districts we’ve approached are nearby to local chapters of The Satanic Temple, and each school district has hosted, or is now hosting, Good News Clubs in their schools. This being the case, we are sure that the school districts we’ve approached are well aware that they are not at liberty to deny us use of their facilities, nor are they at liberty to deny us any level of representation in the schools that they afford to other school clubs -- such as fliers, tables, brochures, and school-wide announcements. We would like to thank the Liberty Counsel, specifically, for opening the doors of public schools to the After School Satan Club through their dedication to religious liberty.”

Elaborating the mission of the After School Satan Clubs, Greaves states, “It’s important that children be given an opportunity to realize that the religious materials now creeping into their schools are representative of but one religious opinion amongst many. While the Good News Clubs focus on indoctrination of children by way of evangelism, instilling them with a fear of Hell and God’s wrath, After School Satan Clubs will focus on free inquiry and rationalism, the scientific basis for which we know what we know about the world around us. We prefer to give children an appreciation of the natural wonders surrounding them, not a fear of everlasting other-worldly horrors.”

Rationalism, Free Inquiry and fun... Sounds terrible

The curriculum for the proposed after-school clubs emphasizes the development of reasoning and social skills. The group says meetings will include a healthful snack, literature lesson, creative learning activities, a science lesson, puzzle solving and an art project. Every child will receive a membership card and must have a signed parental permission slip to attend.

"We think it's important for kids to be able to see multiple points of view, to reason things through, to have empathy and feelings of benevolence for their fellow human beings," said the Satanic Temple's Utah chapter head, who goes by the name Chalice Blythe.

Can't wait to see how this plays out. The group gets quite the reactions with their invocations

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
evangelical programmes pose a far bigger threat, (by a multitude of tens of thousands) than this new programme.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I gotta say... that's pretty metal.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

If people want that then they can have it...I wouldn't allow my child to attend, but freedom is about letting people do what they find value in and not telling people what they can't do (you could learn from this my gun-grabbing yeti).

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
So the A.S.S club is intent on stirring sh** up?

That's about par for the course. Hopefully it will help them sleep better at night.

As of May, I am done with the public reeducation centers forever. It helps me sleep better at night.

Win/win

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Wonder how many parents will let their kids go, zero?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

That's about par for the course. Hopefully it will help them sleep better at night.

As of May, I am done with the public reeducation centers forever. It helps me sleep better at night.

Win/win

Do you also accuse evangelicals of "stirring sh** up" or is there a double standard there?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

No double standard. I don't want public schools having a hand in teaching my child any religion. Including providing a place for people they have "approved" of prior. They have a hard time getting the basics right these days. Why trust them with something that is usually so valuable to those who believe? That would be silly.

Sorry to disappoint. They can stick to the bare minimum IMO. Less mess to clean up afterwards.
edit on 8/1/2016 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Good for them. Religious freedom for everyone. I hope they get LOTS of attendees.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

a reply to: Abysha

No double standard. I don't want public schools having a hand in teaching my child any religion. Including providing a place for people they have "approved" of prior. They have a hard time getting the basics right these days. Why trust them with something that is usually so valuable to those who believe? That would be silly.

I agree 100% and I think the Satanic Temple would also agree. By including themselves, they remind the evangelicals what true religious freedom is about and that perhaps it's better just to keep it in your churches.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Win/win

Do you also accuse evangelicals of "stirring sh** up" or is there a double standard there?

Only a small percentage of religious folks could be classified as Evangelicals. Personally, I think we have to allow people to 'stir things up' in order to preserve freedom for all.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

"Metal" That sounds stupid. Are you trying to make that word take off, like Chillax or sick? I hope not, it will sink like a rock.

This Satanic thing will not go over well. MOST people are not going to put up with it in schools.
edit on 1-8-2016 by kurthall because: add

edit on 1-8-2016 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I will say to them the same thing I say to Christian groups in school.
You are welcome to hold you're meeting in the school as long as you are a voluntary program.
The lack of attendance will get rid of them.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Sounds fun.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I find calling it 'Satan club' a bit far for elementary school students. Just because it sounds scary, to kids.

But after seeing the Pensacola City Council Invocation....

By 5tth grade, I think children should be able to be in this Satan Club,,IF it is what it is described to be, with parental permission.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

This Satanic thing will not go over well. MOST people are not going to put up with it in schools.

But to be religious means to be tolerant?....

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

SHADDAP!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
And this is why I don't bother with public schooling ... among other things.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

You DON'T believe in the occult then?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
Wonder how many parents will let their kids go, zero?

I would have let my daughter go, if it is indeed what is described.

I went to multiple religious summer camps when I was a child. My mother said she wanted to let me know what was out there.

The 'Good Time Fun Baptist' summer camp was the most fun. Though, I eventually beame Wiccan and will attend service at a Universalist church every once in awhile. I am also sort of fond of an Episcopalian Sunday service. I have attended service at Satanist churches. None of them all that different from the Catholic Sundays of my childhood.
edit on 1-8-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join