It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Time to Repeal the Second Amendment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Last week I started a thread here in the mud-pit about my general attitude for guns. Which at the time of posting was that - you're a coward if you bought in to the conservative propaganda that you need a gun for protection. That you have to be the good guy with a gun when the bad guy with a gun comes around...

Now, If you owned a gun a rifle for the defense of your homestead in the woods, I find that to be understandable but there are plenty of counter measures you can still deploy...

However now after talking with some constitutional scholars buds at the yacht club I've decided it's time to begin advocating for a full repeal of the second amendment. It just makes sense.

My case is simple. The times have changed and we're a civilized society now. Love always triumphs hate.

As much as we have a culture of reverence for the founding generation, it's important to understand that they got it wrong — and got it wrong often. Unfortunately, in many instances, they enshrined those faults in the Constitution. For instance, most people don't know it now, but under the original document, Mitt Romney would be serving as President Obama's vice president right now because he was the runner-up in the last presidential election. That part of the Constitution was fixed by the Twelfth Amendment, which set up the system we currently have of the president and vice president running for office together.

Much more profoundly, the Framers and the Constitution were wildly wrong on race. They enshrined slavery into the Constitution in multiple ways, including taking the extreme step of prohibiting the Constitution from being amended to stop the slave trade in the country's first 20 years. They also blatantly wrote racism into the Constitution by counting slaves as only 3/5 of a person for purposes of Congressional representation. It took a bloody civil war to fix these constitutional flaws (and then another 150 years, and counting, to try to fix the societal consequences of them).

RS

I agree with everything this man has written.

The liberty of some to own guns cannot take precedence over the liberty of everyone to live their lives free from the risk of being easily murdered.

Even Mr. Rove agrees that the best way to curtail violence in this country is to repeal the 2nd.

KURT EICHENWALD: LET’S REPEAL THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Then, “free State.” Some gunnies seem to translate these words to mean “a free country,” as if it were a generic term. They’re wrong. The word “State”—capitalS—appears throughout the Constitution, and it always refers to the individual states that make up the United States. At the time of the writing of the Constitution, each state had its own militia of citizens, and the fear was that a federal army would disarm them. In essence, since the states didn’t trust the federal government not to abuse its power, the Bill of Rights guaranteed that these militias would maintain the weaponry needed to defend themselves against encroachment by a federal army.

But here’s the restriction I really want to impose: force all gun owners to purchase liability insurance. That’s required for owning a car, despite the fact that such a rule could be deemed by the unreasonable as being an impediment to constitutional protections of interstate commerce. And, unlike government, the one thing insurance companies know how to do is assess risk.

You want a semi-automatic assault rifle? O.K., says the insurer. Where are you going to store it? Who else will have access to it? Your insurance won’t apply if someone else is firing it. Have you been trained? Do you have a license? You want another one—well, your rates just went up. And by the way—you have to notify us if you have been deemed to have any psychiatric problems, because we might cancel your policy. Then, just like with a car, people who want to carry around their gun have to have their insurance card on them at all times. And folks who have a gun without insurance? Well, that’s when the government steps in and deems it a felony.

I love you,

Harry

ETA: I'm advocating for a FULL ban. Nobody gets a gun. All deadly weapons that are turned in well be melted down and used for public transportation projects. I'm open to considering other incentives to hand in your weapons... Tax write offs?
edit on 1-8-2016 by TheAmazingYeti because: (no reason given)

+52 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well, here's another one.

Stop, folks. Don't feed the trolls.

+22 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

So in your opinion, only the government, police, and military have proven they can be responsible with firearms?

That's one of the most frightening notions I could ever fathom. They have actually proven quite the opposite

edit on 1-8-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
So what other rights are you ok with losing?

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I think you're just trolling the pro-2Aers.

The Bill of Rights was the glue that bound separate states into a union. Without those ten amendments there was no agreement to stand together. That's history talking ... not me.

If Any of the first ten amendments is repealed (or changed), the whole of the Constitution should be dissolved and the individual states should go their separate ways.

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

No. No it isn't.

But you and others can certainly try. There is a process.

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Take your op and respectfully shove it where the sun don't shine.

+5 more 
link   
Nah, screw you.

link   

no its not.

Also, considering the DEMOCRATIC PROCESS, its questionable to push this agenda any further. You guys tried, and the people spoke.

Respect the wishes of the DEMOCRACY which spoke.

You guys are everyday more like antagonistic enemies rather than fellow citizens.

edit on 8 1 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

No. No it isn't.

Yea, rather than explain what a troll is and what troll behavior is, I think this response is perfect. Let us know when you get all the rights you want gone taken care of there sport. Luv you to.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Full ban. Nobody gets a gun. We melt everything down and use the scrap for public transportation projects.

originally posted by: DBCowboy

No. No it isn't.

The process has begun. Go out now and get high off the gun powder it won't last much longer...

+8 more 
link   
Going to get flamed pretty hard, but here's a thought-
you'll never get the guns away from citizens completely- but a good number of them will start to take you seriously once two things have happened.

1) the government doesn't have any firearms
2) the criminals don't have any firearms.

Since 1 will never happen and 2 is impossible, all you could hope to accomplish is making damn near half the population armed criminals- at which point the system would be overthrown completely.

+5 more 
link   
All I have to say is.

"Come and take it!"

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAmazingYeti
Last week I started a thread here in the mud-pit about my general attitude for guns. Which at the time of posting was that - you're a coward if you bought in to the conservative propaganda that you need a gun for protection. That you have to be the good guy with a gun when the bad guy with a gun comes around...

Now, If you owned a gun a rifle for the defense of your homestead in the woods, I find that to be understandable but there are plenty of counter measures you can still deploy...

However now after talking with some constitutional scholars buds at the yacht club I've decided it's time to begin advocating for a full repeal of the second amendment. It just makes sense.

My case is simple. The times have changed and we're a civilized society now. Love always triumphs hate.

As much as we have a culture of reverence for the founding generation, it's important to understand that they got it wrong — and got it wrong often. Unfortunately, in many instances, they enshrined those faults in the Constitution. For instance, most people don't know it now, but under the original document, Mitt Romney would be serving as President Obama's vice president right now because he was the runner-up in the last presidential election. That part of the Constitution was fixed by the Twelfth Amendment, which set up the system we currently have of the president and vice president running for office together.

Much more profoundly, the Framers and the Constitution were wildly wrong on race. They enshrined slavery into the Constitution in multiple ways, including taking the extreme step of prohibiting the Constitution from being amended to stop the slave trade in the country's first 20 years. They also blatantly wrote racism into the Constitution by counting slaves as only 3/5 of a person for purposes of Congressional representation. It took a bloody civil war to fix these constitutional flaws (and then another 150 years, and counting, to try to fix the societal consequences of them).

RS

I agree with everything this man has written.

The liberty of some to own guns cannot take precedence over the liberty of everyone to live their lives free from the risk of being easily murdered.

Even Mr. Rove agrees that the best way to curtail violence in this country is to repeal the 2nd.

KURT EICHENWALD: LET’S REPEAL THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Then, “free State.” Some gunnies seem to translate these words to mean “a free country,” as if it were a generic term. They’re wrong. The word “State”—capitalS—appears throughout the Constitution, and it always refers to the individual states that make up the United States. At the time of the writing of the Constitution, each state had its own militia of citizens, and the fear was that a federal army would disarm them. In essence, since the states didn’t trust the federal government not to abuse its power, the Bill of Rights guaranteed that these militias would maintain the weaponry needed to defend themselves against encroachment by a federal army.

But here’s the restriction I really want to impose: force all gun owners to purchase liability insurance. That’s required for owning a car, despite the fact that such a rule could be deemed by the unreasonable as being an impediment to constitutional protections of interstate commerce. And, unlike government, the one thing insurance companies know how to do is assess risk.

You want a semi-automatic assault rifle? O.K., says the insurer. Where are you going to store it? Who else will have access to it? Your insurance won’t apply if someone else is firing it. Have you been trained? Do you have a license? You want another one—well, your rates just went up. And by the way—you have to notify us if you have been deemed to have any psychiatric problems, because we might cancel your policy. Then, just like with a car, people who want to carry around their gun have to have their insurance card on them at all times. And folks who have a gun without insurance? Well, that’s when the government steps in and deems it a felony.

I love you,

Harry

The right to bear arms is a relic that has no place in the 21st century. No one is ever going to form a militia or posse and take over the government.

But selfish adult who act like kids use it as an excuse to keep the toys. The right to bear arms is irrelevant in 2016.

Sadly it's probably too late to get rid of guns now in the states. You made your bed America. Now lie in the sheets soaked with innocent blood.

In my opinion, every pro gun person is partially responsible for every innocent death. Harsh I know but these people care more about the thrill of shooting a gun (and it is fun. I've done it in the air cadets in the UK) than life.

I'll say it again. The right to bear arms is irrelevant in 2016

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
IT'S TIME TO BAN the gun grabbing YETI.
YACHT club HAAA,HA,H,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA
OH get away from you gilded conclave pal YOU have no voice for the people who are poor ...
YOU aren't aware of the real world beyond stock option and snippets of people getting shot by NUTS.
Screech away comedian we got this.
edit on 1-8-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
link   
It is time to expel (out of this country) any and all who wish to do anything to the constitution/bill of rights other than enforce it as it is written.

link   
I don't think some of you understand what a troll is. It is NOT someone who holds a different opinion to you.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Let's not get crazy here...
IT does have rights...

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: WilsonWilson
I don't think some of you understand what a troll is. It is NOT someone who holds a different opinion to you.

An opinion should be based on some sort of fact or logic. This thread is based on neither.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I can't possibly imagine what could go wrong with a government disarming its populous. After all, we nominate the best political visionaries in our Republic. Just look at Trump and Clinton. Keeps getting better each election cycle.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join