It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are all a little bit mad

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Someone the other day, said a couple of words on my thread who didnt go unnoticed, so i dived right in.

The “I” in me, my friend, dwells in the house of silence, and therein it shall remain for ever more, unperceived, unapproachable.

I would not have thee believe in what I say nor trust in what I do-for my words are naught but thy own thoughts in sound and my deeds thy own hopes in action.

When thou sayest, “The wind bloweth eastward,” I say, “Aye it doth blow eastward”; for I would not have thee know that my mind doth not dwell upon the wind but upon the sea.

Thou canst not understand my seafaring thoughts, nor would I have thee understand. I would be at sea alone.

When it is day with thee, my friend, it is night with me; yet even then I speak of the noontide that dances upon the hills and of the purple shadow that steals its way across the valley; for thou canst not hear the songs of my darkness nor see my wings beating against the stars-and I fain would not have thee hear or see. I would be with night alone.

When thou ascendest to thy Heaven I descend to my Hell-even then thou callest to me across the unbridgeable gulf, “My companion, my comrade,” and I call back to thee, “My comrade, my companion”-for I would not have thee see my Hell. The flame would burn thy eyesight and the smoke would crowd thy nostrils. And I love my Hell too well to have thee visit it. I would be in Hell alone.

Thou lovest Truth and Beauty and Righteousness; and I for thy sake say it is well and seemly to love these things. But in my heart I laughed at thy love. Yet I would not have thee see my laughter. I would laugh alone.

My friend, thou art good and cautious and wise; nay, thou art perfect-and I, too, speak with thee wisely and cautiously. And yet I am mad. But I mask my madness. I would be mad alone.

My friend, thou art not my friend, but how shall I make thee understand? My path is not thy path, yet together we walk, hand in hand.”
― Kahlil Gibran, The Madman

In my native tounge there is a quote which reads to;" There is a fine line between the madman and the genius".

An article written in 2009 stated that the same gene resides in both categories, the difference is as once a witch quoted;" Learn to Swim in the art of magic or die drowning in the real world ".

They did tests which quote fom the article;"

The gene, which is called neuregulin 1, plays a role in brain development but a variant of it is also associated with mental illnesses like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

Researchers from Semmelweis University in Hungary recruited a group of volunteers who considered themselves to be very creative and accomplished.

To measure creativity, the volunteers were asked to respond to a series of unusual questions. For example: "Just suppose clouds had strings attached to them which hang down to earth. What would happen?"

They were scored based on the originality and flexibility of their answers.

I did a similar test, which was in seven parts.. I scored average like any other, but on one part, i went pass the max.. I wish i could remember he test it was so many years ago.. The function on the one part was problem solving and pattern recognition.. My mind and these set of skills does not always go hand in hand.. But when it does, the outcome can be a surprise.. Problem is when these set of skills finds something and out of human curiosity breaks it down into pieces..

What i wanted to say, to many drown in the magic ocean or lost at sea.. When both worlds collide, you are there all alone and if you are not forged from the right kind of material.. The flames of hell will burn your soul..
In the end, you will be seen as mad no matter the outcome because the world looks very different when it lost its mystery..

Link - Article

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I'll never claim to be a genius in any topic, not even in the slightest but I can confirm that at times my cheese isn't always firmly on its cracker...

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Im no genius either; "a genius builds things, a madman breaks them to see how it was built.. "

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
s/f

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

I'm certainly no genius either, no way. Although, humbly, I have been told differently. Whatever. It is a very thought provoking post. Thank you OP. I really enjoyed it.

Peace

KD

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The passage you quoted is amazing, and I am now finding myself searching for Kahlil Gibran's The Madman. (Which I have now found, and put in an order for.)

That's not the intent of your post, I'm sorry.
But as KD above said, it is a very thought provoking post... a lot of what you post is thought provoking.. and I thank you for posting it.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Hail Gibran

"Just suppose clouds had strings attached to them which hang down to earth. What would happen?"

I read about a similar experiment where someone was asked what to do with an odd sock. The 'winner' said they'd knit another sock with the thread from the first one and make a pair.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Just suppose clouds had strings attached to them which hang down to earth. What would happen?

I had to give an answer to this... imagine...

Strings floating around your face on every overcast day...

Think i'd go mad... er

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I thought of tickled noses too and how we could tie the clouds to migrating swallows so Africa can get some rainfall too.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Might be a good way to travel actually...

Grab a handful of strings...

But, then theres no more taxi's or buses...

the world would fall apart

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   

There'd still be an economy for faster than cloud travel.

On the downside, the phrase lightning never strikes twice in the same place would never have existed. Instances of lightning injures would rise significantly as would trees being pulled over by passing storm clouds; a notable benefit to the insurance industry and a guarantee that tree surgery would be an occupation as well-paid as barristers.

We'd have to thin out forests to avoid traffic jams of clouds from becoming caught up and causing flooding.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   

what are these cloud strings made of?!?

Holy crap lol

edit on 1-8-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:43 AM
link   

If those strings can tie up a cloud, they're pretty strong. Take my word for it

The elephant in the room is who or what tied them? Imagine the religions of a world where clouds were tied up by string?

I vote they swap them anyway for multi-coloured ribbons from ethical sources to brighten the skies and boost Third World economies. Most people are so blasé about string and have stronger opinions on ribbon - ribbon is a needle-mover.

Vote colour, Vote less poverty!! Every cloud has a colourful lining.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   

The elephant in the room is who or what tied them? Imagine the religions of a world where clouds were tied up by string?

Well...

At the very least we could explain Jacobs ladder...

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Well...

At the very least we could explain Jacobs ladder...

Now there's an idea!

Jack and the Beanstalk all over again and, perhaps, the mystery of the origins of the string finds its solution.

ETA - I tinkered a picture to ilustrate the thread

edit on 8.1.2016 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

To measure creativity, the volunteers were asked to respond to a series of unusual questions. For example: "Just suppose clouds had strings attached to them which hang down to earth. What would happen?"

I'd be kicking myself in the ass for owning stock in helium (joking, I own no stock in helium), helium balloons would have no special appeal for children, they could run around pulling clouds down. Coalitions would form to weave the strings together quickly into ropes and thereby climb into the sky.

But on a somber note, my cat is scared to death by helium balloons with strings hanging down, cat repellent, balloons in rooms where the cat is not wanted. She would not be able to go outside. Sad.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Since you posted something on this thread which has a esoteric value, how about you explain to the rest of the members on this thread what; Jacobs ladder is?
Both the philosophical and the observational, dont be shy...

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I don't really think thats necessary...

Anyone can find the story with a few clicks

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Well most cant actually, there is a difference between knowing what to look for and looking for something..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join