It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metallica’s James Hetfield Celebrates a PhD in Astrophysics

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
a reply to: AmericanRealist

Yea but as long as you know the subliminal messages of the songs, you can negate its effect.

The point to my ordeal above is songs with lyrics in general drown out our own thoughts essentially every time we hear them.

I find my own thoughts are far more relevant to myself and what I'm about than nearly everything on the radio, for example. I couldn't be the individual I am if I was telling myself for 'them' what I am (based on what's in the lyrics of whatever).

This is why I can't generally stomach Rap as they say their own names over and over in their songs. Keeping telling yourself you're the Snoop Double D O G, folks! Sing it in your head a hundred times per day

I argue this whole concept is what helps fuel kids IDOLIZING "musicians". And I suspect this overall thing being THE model of music that all the kids listen to, what the music they've (the industry (radio+MTV), their producers fingerprints in 'every' album), I suspect this has a LOT to do with the kids all becoming more and more "Special Snowflakes" (don't even know who they are they've been so busy following all their IDOLS "music" as their "own" thoughts) each passing year.

Apologies. I can't help myself, as the resident "Iconoclast Extremist".
edit on 31-7-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku

Actually, "Astronomy" was composed and sung originally by Blue Oyster Cult, Eric Bloom was the lead singer. I saw them at Maple Leaf Gardens in the late 70's, where I believe they did the first laser light show of any band. In the middle of Astronomy, Eric Bloom pointed two lasers at stationary mirror balls attached to the roof. The effect was incredible at the time, it looked like rain made of light.

My point anyway, Metallica is doing Astronomy as a cover song, it isn't theirs. I believe Astronomy was originally on the "Secret Treaties" vinyl.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Sad to hear that I can't call Hetfield, DR. Metal after all. And yes Metallica totally sold out, post the Black Album/Napster episode. They are trying to drag a dead horse at this point.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This conversation and all these sell out accusations remind me of another song by another band..

"
All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb f@&&.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip $hit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on TV
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatas$$ dirty
Dollar

So...Shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
F@&$ you, buddy."

Accusing a band of selling my out makes you sound like a Whiney bottom feeder... Assuming all of this is just for your entertainment.

Did you know that many musicians actually write and play for their own peace of mind, and if they change their style or attempt to be financially compensated for their work that's up to them?

I don't like some of Metallicas business moves but here they are still rocking and making tons of money on their own terms ..

FYI I personally think they have gone downhill since ride the lightning but all this hate seems silly.. Sellouts lol ya maybe after giving up maany months of sacrificing just so you could headbang and call them sell outs

top topics

<< 1   >>

join