It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the USA go to war to defend NATO countries?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I am not talking about sanctions. These are not imposed unilaterally anyway, generally speaking, but by consent or agreement of several nations. I am speaking of the sort of nonsense that sees economic hitmen apply themselves to the business of destabilising a nations economy via dodgy dealings, only for a more powerful nation to swallow up the rewards.

And with regard to financial benefits from making war, I am suggesting that no money may be made by any nation, or company operating on behalf of, in partnership with, or as a supplier of that nations warmachine from the act of prosecuting a war.

War should never look better on paper than it does anywhere else.
edit on 31-7-2016 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removal

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   
That's the problem with alliances. They tie your hands and obligate you as a nation. It;s what started WW I. If there had not been all the alliances, WW I would have been a much smaller local issue. And WW I led to WW II.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Yes. If you don't want to get rid of the treaties.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Added a link for 'Article 5' - Collective Defense

also here:

www.nato.int...

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

That's not my decision and I addressed that.

We would then have to decide which to support.

It's supposed to take an act of Congress to go to war. They would be the deciding factor in a perfect world.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
That's the problem with alliances. They tie your hands and obligate you as a nation. It;s what started WW I. If there had not been all the alliances, WW I would have been a much smaller local issue. And WW I led to WW II.

I agree with you - it should be far from a binary decision in my view.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
From the standpoint of what is best strategically for USA I think they should. The more territory US give up the stronger their enemies grow and if one Allied country falls why should the rest help or trust USA? Far cheaper to help them then fight them.
edit on 31-7-2016 by ms898 because: Typo

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

If a world war starts it will affect everyone even if they don't get directly involved. Plus by getting involved it could be argued that America gained dominate power both military and economical.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

well, Considering that bull fighting is a practice that is older than Denmark or nukes, (prehistoric practice that royals made "civilized") , Take that PC attitude and stuff it with the rest of the nonsense that is also undermining your country.

I dont blame you, but if you truly feel that you are slighted by the policies that are currently affecting your country, lay off the extreme progressive BS.

Long live the Matadores!

I say have them fight the bull with nothing more than a flint knife, in the nude. The way it used to be. And let either die, bloody and gruesomely.

EDIT TO ADD:
On topic,

Yes if they truly be allies. I would also reassess who is our ally. Today in age there is some BS as far as true loyalty is concerned.

I would revoke all alliances and see who asked to join again, then I would make an international army responsible for NATO defence, which all member states contributed to in soldiers, equiptment and funding.

Die with us as you spend with us.

If so, then yes.

edit on 7 31 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

No, a thousand time no. America needs to get over the whole world police thing, take care of America first.

We should retool and rebuild America into the manufacturing power house it used to be.

No more taxes to other countries or the UN.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE
LIKE! NO FRIGGIN WAY!! Leave this Russians ALONE GODDAMN IT!

Funny how you assume it would be the Russians who would attack an American ally.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Should the USA go to war to defend NATO countries?

it depends entirely on what drove 'them' to conflict.

If a NATO member was the lying aggressor, then let them burn!

If a larger nation outside NATO was the lying aggressor, then assist!

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
a reply to: Orionx2

We are a small country and we have never had as much violence, rape, crime after we have opened our gates to these immigrants from the middle east, only ten years ago, gun shooting, rape and killings was very far between.. but now adays its almost everyday life and its being done by these brainwashed freaks.. everyone that do not follow their god Allah is a infidel and they do as they please.. there have been alot of small girls raped and people attacked.. and we had terror attack in copenhagen and someone tried to kill the guy that drew the Muhammad cartoon with a axe... And just today two people have been shoot by muslims and a bar was attacked by a gang of muslims with bats.. and this weekend a 16 old girl was raped at a music festival.

Oh really?? Cause iam from denmark aswell, and i cant recognize the picture your painting... Most of the problems your talking about, comes from gangs, and have nothing to do with islam.
Remember the big bikerwar in the 90´s ? Cause that was before the immigrants, and there was a lot more shoting and killing than now..

Yes, we have problems, but you cant blame muslims, is it their fault that we cant handle the criminals in our country?

Sorry for the off topic rant
Yes, USA should keep their end of the deal, and protect NATO members, or leave

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
ATS members are mostly republicans. How do you think this thread is going to go?
Shakes head. Have at it kids.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
ATS members are mostly republicans. How do you think this thread is going to go?
Shakes head. Have at it kids.

Pretty much the rest of us just state our position, then let the crap fly.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

Unfortunately we live in a global economy. So strategically control of territory is a great defensive move. If USA broke relationships or undermined the confidence of their allies smaller countries who could not military defend themselves would either side with another greater power or be attacked. Ultimately this would strengthen USA enemies
edit on 31-7-2016 by ms898 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMNOTYOU

originally posted by: Spacespider
a reply to: Orionx2

We are a small country and we have never had as much violence, rape, crime after we have opened our gates to these immigrants from the middle east, only ten years ago, gun shooting, rape and killings was very far between.. but now adays its almost everyday life and its being done by these brainwashed freaks.. everyone that do not follow their god Allah is a infidel and they do as they please.. there have been alot of small girls raped and people attacked.. and we had terror attack in copenhagen and someone tried to kill the guy that drew the Muhammad cartoon with a axe... And just today two people have been shoot by muslims and a bar was attacked by a gang of muslims with bats.. and this weekend a 16 old girl was raped at a music festival.

Oh really?? Cause iam from denmark aswell, and i cant recognize the picture your painting... Most of the problems your talking about, comes from gangs, and have nothing to do with islam.
Remember the big bikerwar in the 90´s ? Cause that was before the immigrants, and there was a lot more shoting and killing than now..

Yes, we have problems, but you cant blame muslims, is it their fault that we cant handle the criminals in our country?

Sorry for the off topic rant
Yes, USA should keep their end of the deal, and protect NATO members, or leave

Big biker war.. hah
Either you are a Muslim or you do not watch the news..

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I think a more important question is - which of those countries would come to the defense of the US if we were attacked?
How many of them actually have the means to defend the US against a large attack, perhaps by China or Russia?

How many of these countries put their investments into their own country, without worrying about building up their national defense, because they count on the US and other larger countries to protect them?

edit on 7/31/16 by BlueAjah because: eta

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

No one with any sense watches corporate news, except to see the bias and how it is being fed to the population, the better to counter the propagandist waffle with real data, tailored to combat the programming job that propaganda does on the weak of mind, heart and will.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Let's take Poland as an example. They are next to Russia ( who is a strategic threat to USA). By being in an alliance USA get to place defence structures and bases inside Poland's borders. If they weren't allies there is a good chance Russia would try to sieze control which they have tried in the past. Poland's military would not be a great help to USA but their regional cooperation is priceless to USAs strategic defensive goals.
edit on 31-7-2016 by ms898 because: Typo

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join