It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the USA go to war to defend NATO countries?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
There has been some back and forward debate about NATO between Trump and Clinton, which has triggered this question, so I wanted to get some views on whether ATS members think that the USA should indeed go to war if any of the 28 member countries are attacked. Remember, in real terms this means Americans dying in defence of NATO countries. If you were President, what would you do?

Here are the 28 member countries:

Albania
Belgium
Bulgaria
Canada
Croatia
Czech Rep
Denmark
Estonia
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States

Would it make a difference who attacked one of these countries?
Would you act differently depending on the country?
What circumstances would be important to you?

Here is some research from YouGov which shows some variances of opinion based on the country, responding to the specific use of US forces in defence of each country:

The latest research from YouGov shows that most Americans (60%) still support the American commitment to defend NATO allies if they are under attack, while 17% say that it is no longer necessary. Support is highest among Republicans (65%) and lowest among Independents (56%), while 60% of Democrats support the NATO commitment. Ask about specific scenarios where the US might have to use military force to defend allies, and Americans become less willing to step in. 56% of Americans think that the US should use military force to defend Britain if they are attacked by Russia.

source: yougov.co.uk...

NATO defense commitment - article 5 www.nato.int...
edit on 31/7/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
LIKE! NO FRIGGIN WAY!! Leave this Russians ALONE GODDAMN IT!

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

We have a written, signed and declared defense pact with them. We should honor it as long as they are honoring their side.

Just my opinion.

link   
NATO is really a joke. Each country will do what they think is in their best interest no matter if they are in NATO or not.

link   

Being from Denmark I can say for sure we are under attack right now..
But its a hidden enemy that lives among us driven by religious motives.

And I believe its the same all over Europe by now, and no one knows how to end it, we Europeans got a big heart for people that seek help, but that bites us in the butt now.

[snipped]
edit on Sun Jul 31 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: removed anti-T&C material TAC

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I notice they didn't poll for Canada. I would hope it is a resounding yes X_X

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

Being from Denmark I can say for sure we are under attack right now..
But its a hidden enemy that lives among us driven by religious motives.

And I believe its the same all over Europe by now, and no one knows how to end it, we Europeans got a big heart for people that seek help, but that bites us in the butt now.

But yes for the OP question if I was US president, I would nuke the middle east to glass and ban Islam from the world and stop all immigration.
I am very curious what attack you are under?
The company I work for is Based in Denmark. I work in the USA but everything we produce gets shipped to Denmark. Our headquarters is in Denmark.

edit on 31-7-2016 by Orionx2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesungod

We have a written, signed and declared defense pact with them. We should honor it as long as they are honoring their side.

Just my opinion.

OK, I understand that, but it can get a little murky. For example Israel is not a member, though it is a partner. What if Israel attacked Turkey?

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

So in short, we should never let xenophobic sociopaths make choices which affect anyones lives, in any small way? Gotcha.

You have been well and truly bought, and sold by the propagandists.

@OP

Yes, with the following conditions:

A) Only as long as the nation under attack has not been asking for it in triplicate with interventionist policies and by operating proxy armies/wars, using the attacking nations people as pawns

B) As long as the nation being attacked has never economically destabilised the attacking nation for the gain of the attacked nation.

C) Only if there is no financial reason to do so.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
YES

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
YES

No matter the circumstances?

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Orionx2

We are a small country and we have never had as much violence, rape, crime after we have opened our gates to these immigrants from the middle east, only ten years ago, gun shooting, rape and killings was very far between.. but now adays its almost everyday life and its being done by these brainwashed freaks.. everyone that do not follow their god Allah is a infidel and they do as they please.. there have been alot of small girls raped and people attacked.. and we had terror attack in copenhagen and someone tried to kill the guy that drew the Muhammad cartoon with a axe... And just today two people have been shoot by muslims and a bar was attacked by a gang of muslims with bats.. and this weekend a 16 old girl was raped at a music festival.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

So in short, we should never let xenophobic sociopaths make choices which affect anyones lives, in any small way? Gotcha.

@OP

A) Only as long as the nation under attack has not been asking for it in triplicate with interventionist policies and by operating proxy armies/wars, using the attacking nations people as pawns

B) As long as the nation being attacked has never economically destabilised the attacking nation for the gain of the attacked nation.

I agree with A, but B opens up a whole can of worms. Russia has had sanctions put on them and it's hurt them badly, albeit in combination with lower oil prices... whether those sanctions mean benefits for others is another question, but the answer is likely to be yes.

Not sure I understand C - are you saying that the USA should not defend if there are financial benefits?

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

@OP

Try living in my town in my country...for ONE day.. and you would perhaps experience its not all propaganda, one of these holy men tried to rape my big sister some years ago because she was asking for it as he said will trying.. she got away thankfully

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

@OP

Try living in my town in my country...for ONE day.. and you would perhaps experience its not all propaganda, one of these holy men tried to rape my big sister some years ago because she was asking for it as he said will trying.. she got away thankfully

Sorry to hear that - but seriously I don't want the thread to be about immigrants.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

YES

You know I'm a progressive Globalist.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
No absolutely not

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

YES

You know I'm a progressive Globalist.

Oh, yes I knew that!

Regarding my earlier point - what if Israel attacked Turkey? You'd go to war with Israel?
It's not beyond the realm of possibility either - with Erdogan previously making noises...

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Israel isn't part of the NATO defense pact as a partner. None of the partners are.

That said we, the US, have a individual defense aid pact with Israel. So yes.

We would then have to decide which to support.
edit on 31-7-2016 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesungod

Israel isn't part of the NATO defense pact as a partner. None of the partners are.

That said we, the US, have a individual defense aid pact with Israel. So yes.

We would then have to decide which to support.

Yes, I know.
My follow up question was that would you ATTACK Israel to defend Turkey? Turkey are a member.
So a scenario is: Israel attack Turkey... what do you do?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join