It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Yourself a Favor.... Take a Break.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
And I don't mean a Kit Kat.
I mean from the incessant political BS and vitriol. You get caught up in that morass of crap and other things slip by. Take a break and let the air clear your head. I'm saying log off everything that isn't streaming services and stay away from newspapers and TV news. Totally unplug form the arena.

What to do? Stream shows that you have wanted to see... Ray Donovan, Bosch, Billions, Letterkenny(I seriously recommend CraveTV. It's to TV that Netflix is to movies). I've also been going down the road with Sam and Dean and have come to the conclusion that Crowley's mother is one hot momma.
Reacquainting myself with the crew of DS9. Going back to '83 to see the 1st season of Cheers. I loved Coach:

The benefits are worth it. I've come up with the idea for several threads for the site(this is one of them). One is political and I think it's going to be good. Non partisan. I've come up with a damn good idea for a product(just last night), needs some research but I think it's promising. Came up with some decent comedy this week. And remembered a joke about the 3 Samurai that I haven't thought of in forever. Clearing the crap out leaves rooms for other things.

I've taken a week this time... so far. Maybe one needs a day, a week, a month. Whatever. Tonight is a good time to start(which is why I'm back early), Sharknado 4 is on in about 2 hours. Looks to be the most ridiculous yet. That's a good start for a break imo.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Going back to '83 to see the 1st season of Cheers. I loved Coach:

My favorite line from him: 'I led the Major Leagues in getting hit in the head with pitches.'

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Loved Cheers!

ETA: I have some new favorite sitcoms for the first time in years. The Carmichael Show and Crowded. Check 'em out.
edit on 7/31/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Going back to '83 to see the 1st season of Cheers. I loved Coach:

My favorite line from him: 'I led the Major Leagues in getting hit in the head with pitches.'

One that isn't in that clip? He answers the phone and lowers it and says, "Is Earnie Pantuso there?" "That's you Coach." "Speaking." That's comedy.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
look at this Americans a Canadian is telling you to ignore Trump, foreign intervention at its finest... TPTB are desperate and don't know what else to do, trump should consider building a wall up north too.

Nothing will stop the Trump train!!!

America! # YEAH!!!

Joking

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
My index finger gets mighty exhausted from having to use the mouse wheel to scroll past the 6000 political threads trying to find non-US politics related stuff.

It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

On the positive side... my right index finger is now starting to look like Popeye's forearms.

Rawr !

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

The search of non political topics was so strong that you landed on my blooming flower thread LOL

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

One that isn't in that clip?

Not in that one.

He answers the phone and lowers it and says, "Is Earnie Pantuso there?" "That's you Coach." "Speaking." That's comedy.

Hah, I remember that one.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Interestingly enough, ATS is one of the few places where I completely submerge myself in the political BS. I peruse the news on MSN at work during my break. Husband watches a bit of it when he comes home at night. I have three or four blogs I check regularly and Drudge and Fark.

Outside of those and other sources as I get intrigued an issue or story, I really don't pay much attention to it. Even the talk radio I listen to is confined to my drive times in the car - 20 minutes or so each way - and one of those drives is potentially going to be sports talk if it's not local politics as much as anything else and that's a light-hearted local politics.

And I am liable to rotate my heavy periods of immersion here with periods of video game immersion or other activities.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

The search of non political topics was so strong that you landed on my blooming flower thread LOL

I know right ?!

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

In this thread your political BS is off topic. Please discontinue. Joking or not. See the OP. Unplug from ALL politics.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I've also been going down the road with Sam and Dean and have come to the conclusion that Crowley's mother is one hot momma.

Irrelevant: Dean is 1 year older than her and Crowley 15 years older

tell a mod to remove it
edit on 31-7-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

tell a mod to remove it

You've gotta be loving that. I still have a voice though. A STRONG one.
If you want to go this route, good luck.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I could not possibly agree with you more.
I took a four year hiatus from posting.
Since I have had the ability again I try to stay clear(not always successfully) of ATS and only post down here in off topic.

I find it enjoyable to engage in light hearted friendly banter,when I take a beer break from my daily activities ..

Am not saying I don't scan recent posts in ats for things that interest me,but I find election years tedious.

What im about to say next does not reflect on the owners or staff of this site,it's frankly out of there hands..

The political cycle drowns out real intellectual debate or progress of many other topics that made me call this place home in the first place..

That said,
I do like to think of this place as my home,I have met and interacted with here, some of the most intelligent,artistic, and polite people that one could hope to on our too few trips around the sun.

TL;DR

Do what you enjoy,don't get caught up in the BS.

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Actually, I just saw you are no longer a supermod, you were my favorite

still you are acting a little like a dick

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
After the little one goes to bed, my thing is binge watching X-Files. Netflix=Friend. I guess I should define what binge watching is to me, watching 1 1/2 episodes and then crashing hard. Sleep is lifes way of saying enough.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I don't do politics anywhere else. I don't even talk to people anywhere else.

I think they locked me in my room.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

No worries, mate.

If intrepid gets too... intrepid... I'll just reach over and poke him with my Popeye index finger.

That'll settle him down right quick.

*bursts out in an evil cackle*

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

WTF. I didn't even notice. Sh!tty.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Good for you, intrepid

I think a break is definitely needed, which is why I have taken one from ATS for the most part, even though mine is sort of involuntary. I will skim ATS on the weekends or for a few minutes after work, but the last two weeks away from ATS have been utterly calming and delightful.

I considered creating a thread about why I was far less active, but it's pointless. Regardless, after having spent so little time on ATS these two weeks, upon returning just to check in and catch up, I've been disgusted at the usual political BS that has infected it, as usual, during an election year. When not immersed in it, when stepping back to observe with a different and non-participatory perspective, it's easy to see how such a break is/was needed. I don't watch 24/7 news channels, I don't listen to talk radio, I only get my current events from Twitter (or sometimes here), and do not do other social media.

Although I stay current on what is happening, I stay away from political banter and partisan opinion, which is the best thing ever.

A break is needed. Politics infects and corrupts the soul.

Enjoy your break.

Enjoy yourself.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join