It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zika -- Is the U.S. Behind the 8-Ball?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

do expect some cases coming up in the following months as more children are born during the ZIKA outbreak.

I don't see how it can be escaped, particularly in places where there is no escape from them. I do hope those countries will distribute repellents.

Poisons are troublesome to me also. I even run in the house and get my dogs in when the spray trucks come around here.

I noticed when I was looking at the history of Zika, that it came originally from monkeys in Brazil. Monkey's have brought us a lot of troubles the last few decades. Poor little fellas. Things that don't seem to bother them, much kill us!

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Yes it seems that all starts in Africa with the monkeys, but how is that only recently the transmission from monkeys to humans happen, like ebola.

To me it seems that somebody has been playing with genetics in that part of the work and is not the African bush man the one doing the experiments.

posted on Aug, 2 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

That's the kind of President and Congress we have.

Yes, a President and Congress that allows Americans to travel overseas, but some people apparently want that stopped!

Yeah, they're called doctors, scientists and bioethicists:

A group of 150 doctors, scientists and bioethicists have written a letter to the World Health Organization calling for the Rio Olympics to be postponed or moved because of concerns of the spread of the Zika virus.

The letter cites concerns about further spread of the virus and developing information about it in calling for the Games to be delayed or moved. The letter writers questioned whether the WHO is rejecting alternatives of when and where the Games should be held because of a conflict of interest with the International Olympic Committee.

“Currently, many athletes, delegations, and journalists are struggling with the decision of whether to participate in the Rio 2016 Games,” the letter states. “We agree with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control recommendation that workers should “Consider delaying travel to areas with active Zika virus transmission”. If that advice were followed uniformly, no athlete would have to choose between risking disease and participating in a competition that many have trained for their whole lives.”

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The President was on Television today asking people to contact their congressmen to come back from summer break and tend to this matter. I have done so.

Not only has the republican congress not approved funding, they are trying to reduce it, and the money they have been using for this is running out. The President said it's possible a vaccine is on the horizon, but more money is needed for further lab work.

Let's do it!

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

NO. Although I really do appreciate your concern. I am being genuine.

The vaccine is on the horizon. It's already in the testing phase. Our tax dollars are not needed for that.

How about we just withdraw from the Olympics and slow the spread considerably, THEN let's talk about the tax dollars we need to spend on bringing the vaccine to the U.S?

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I would agree, but I think it's prudent to get a handle on it, while it's relatively confined.

I don't think we will withdraw from the Olympics at this point, so that's a moot point, I think.
edit on 8/4/2016 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

I would agree, but MME, it's already here!

But you aren't considering scope. It's here, but have some perspective. It will be much worse after the Olympics.

"It's already here" (in one neighborhood in Miami), does not equate to "it's in half/most/all the states."

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Oh yeah, it will probably be worse after the Olympics, but that decision is not up to me. I think we have a better chance of making a vaccine than controlling a bunch of buzzing sick mosquitoes. Miami is hitting it as hard as they can, going from door to door checking for standing water, insect repellent shelves empty earlier today. They are doing the best they can, a real community effort.

Surely I have stated previously here, I'm not pushing the 'panic button' at all. I'm just opportunistic when it comes to this type thing. Do it now, so later we don't regret not having done so.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

Oh yeah, it will probably be worse after the Olympics, but that decision is not up to me. I think we have a better chance of making a vaccine than controlling a bunch of buzzing sick mosquitoes. Miami is hitting it as hard as they can, going from door to door checking for standing water, insect repellent shelves empty earlier today. They are doing the best they can, a real community effort.

Surely I have stated previously here, I'm not pushing the 'panic button' at all. I'm just opportunistic when it comes to this type thing. Do it now, so later we don't regret not having done so.

But it is up to us. Congress should not be pushing for more money if they are not even pushing to slow the spread of Zika.

"Do it now," is RIGHT. Withdraw from the Olympics. Participating will increase the problem.

They start tomorrow though so it's probably way too late. Still I resent that withdrawing was not ever an option.

I don't think you are pressing the panic button. Our scientists, health organizations, and our government are telling us that Zika will spread and that is causes microcephaly (along with other many other problems)...so I fully expect an increase in those problems.

But since slowing the spread was not seriously considered, I have to wonder if those in charge of spending did not want to consider slowing it.

I hate both parties. This is not an opportunity to blame one. Blame both.

edit on 4-8-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well this comes as no surprise, but it is completely repugnant. The CDC has issued letters to seven insect repellent companies asking them to STOP marketing their ineffective products as "Zika Prevention".

These include little ineffective wrist bands for babies, and little 'smilie face patches among other things that don't work.

And get this - there is now a Zika Prevention Condom! Researchers say they are being marketed that way, but are no more effective than an ordinary condom.

Yay yay usa.

posted on Aug, 4 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

But it is up to us. Congress should not be pushing for more money if they are not even pushing to slow the spread of Zika.

I know what you mean, and I can't imagine what they are thinking. The thought of sewage in the water is enough to have called off the water competitions anyway.

It's money. Some how or other, it's money.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Zika was first identified in 1947.

It's not a "new" disease.

It's just that our open-door immigration policies have enabled viruses new opportunities to spread.

The hell? The people I saw on the news with Zika were US Citizens who recently traveled to areas where Zika is known to exist. They weren't immigrants.

Hi ahead and keep shilling your immigrant hate though. If ignorance makes you feel better, run with it.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: daerath

I wonder how many people came back with ZIkA after the Rio games, taking into consideration that most of the time ZIKA shows no symptoms beside typical maladies that can be related to many other reasons.

I have a friend that her husband got infected while vacationing in Santo Domingo, he only spend two weeks, his symptoms were stomach like flu and mild overall aches and pains.

My friend was in Santo Domingo for a months and didn't got ZIKA or at least no full blown symptoms.

Back home my family members had gotten ZIKA with not major complications and Symptoms are milder than a common cold and no even near to Dengue symptoms.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join