It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Grow Mini Human Brains to Study Parkisons Disease

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Scientists in Singapore have made a big leap on research on the 'mini-brain'. These advanced mini versions of the human midbrain will help researchers develop treatments and conduct other studies into Parkinson's Disease (PD) and ageing-related brain diseases.

Jointly led by Prof Ng Huck Hui from A*STAR's Genome Institute of Singapore (GIS) and Assistant Prof Shawn Je from Duke-NUS Medical School, this collaborative research between GIS, Duke-NUS, and the National Neuroscience Institute (NNI) is funded by the National Medical Research Council's Translational Clinical Research (TCR) Programme In Parkinson's disease (PD) and A*STAR. Other collaborators are from the Lieber Institute for Brain Development, the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, and the Nanyang Technological University.

Assistant Prof Shawn Je from Duke-NUS Medical School's Neuroscience & Behavioural Disorders Programme said, "It is remarkable that our midbrain organoids mimic human midbrain development. The cells divide, cluster together in layers, and become electrically and chemically active in three-dimensional environment like our brain. Now we can really test how these mini brains react to existing or newly developed drugs before treating patients, which will be a game changer for drug development."

Well, this is reassuring news, if not just a little bit disturbing in its own way as well. Anything that can truly help in treatments for diseases like Parkinson's is good. Mini human brains grown in a lab just seem a bit macabre. Well, there is another plus side though. At least we have a Plan B for controlling the zombies.

edit on 7/31/2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   
10 years ago, I told you all so:

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

This is an interesting article

It's good they're trying to use this for a good cause, but at the back of my mind all i keep thinking is 'what else will they use this for'. I like the mini army theme, and the Zomb theme yes that's also a possible scenario. Mad Science gone Wild.

sf nice!

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

It's good they're trying to use this for a good cause

It could be good, but one things for sure that's always how they spin this kind of stuff.

In such a vein, now consider how about every 3 weeks in science news for many many years there's always some 'new' efficiency boosting solar power technology breakthru, yet none of it ever actually comes to pass onto the market.
edit on 31-7-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

It's good they're trying to use this for a good cause

It could be good, but one things for sure that's always how they spin this kind of stuff.

In such a vein, now consider how about every 3 weeks in science news for many many years there's always some 'new' efficiency boosting solar power technology breakthru, yet none of it ever actually comes to pass onto the market.

Oh i know, so many promises in Scientific matters but never an ounce of proof it will ever get out there for the benefit of Mankind.

It's unnerving at times. Take Cancer for instance, there are many cures but they keep on raping people of their hard earned cash, promising little to no hope of that ever happening.
edit on 7/31/2016 by awareness10 because: Wonderful ...

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Argh. I know cancer too.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Brain McNuggets. Could i get an extra hot mustard?

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Has anyone ever seen the movie The Island?

Yeahhh... everyone on the outside is told that organs are grown in a vat with their dna/stem cells.. when in all actuality, the organs won't live without a host so privately they're doing full fledged cloning

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Yes very good movie too!

ah, another conpiracy as to why we get Deja Vu's

edit on 7/31/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Well its long overdue, all we have been able to get is dessert, was looking for a main course.

a reply to: Lucidparadox
yes, it was actually an awesome action movie. But late they are striving to grow them in animals

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I prefer my monkey brains cooked. It's a texture thing.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Crappy science reporting by sensationalist media is not representative of the scientific community.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   

wait a minute, that little guy in your avatar, please don't tell me ....

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

wait a minute, that little guy in your avatar, please don't tell me ....

He was a little gamey.
Anything is good with enough hot sauce.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Thats evil i love monkeys!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   

lol i'd forgotten about that scene!

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
Has anyone ever seen the movie The Island?

Yeahhh... everyone on the outside is told that organs are grown in a vat with their dna/stem cells.. when in all actuality, the organs won't live without a host so privately they're doing full fledged cloning

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   

We have a lot in common.
I love monkey's, too!
Would you like to go out for dinner sometime?

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

We have a lot in common.
I love monkey's, too!

lol i dunno with all this monkey brain talk going on. It kind of dampered any thoughts of food completely.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

We have a lot in common.
I love monkey's, too!

lol i dunno with all this monkey brain talk going on. It kind of dampered any thoughts of food completely.

Sorry.
I'm having a nice chilled fruit salad for breakfast.
Good luck to the scientists and their little brains.
And don't eat monkey brains. It's bad, mmmkay.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join