It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey Surrounds, Blocks Access To NATO's Incirlik Airbase Amid Speculation Of Second Coup

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
I think Erdogan is holding the base hostage in case there are moves against him directly.

No he just doesn't trust the Turkish commanders at the base. See this base has Two parts one area comtrolled by NATO the other by Turkey. There is litterally a base within a base. Well the problem is during the coo attempt supposedly Turkish airforce personel refueled a fighter used. And supposedly several Turkish comanderes at the base were involved. But if they were it wouldn't surprise me thr Turkish airforce has a huge contingent of planes there. But here's thr problem under there constitution he has no control of thr base what so ever. So this is a move to intimidate the military.

I doubt any high ranking offivials will make a move at this point so most of this is just fear on his part or planned by him in thr first place to take control of military.
edit on 7/31/16 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I agree. Seeing no has ever invaded a nation that had a U.S./NATO military base ever, I pose the thought that perhaps the base and those missiles empower this guy to consolidate his grip on the nation of Turkey. He uses the rhetoric of implying U.S. involvement as a means to get Obama's assurance of non-involvement/interference with his power consolidation.

Just a thought. Nothing to back it up.....

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

So mutually assured destruction applies to the US and Russia. We have the ability to destroy each other several times over. We also both project a sphere of influence over other nuke possessing countries. Any overstepping would result in scenario one.

Our nukes may be in Turkey, and if my understanding is correct they are mainly or all tactical. They must also be armed and delivered. Last time I checked very few Americans have the ability to authorize such a strike, in fact just one technically, the president, unless he or she becomes incapacitated. So I'm pretty sure if they tried to take control of those paper weights that would just be assured destruction for them. I know you all want to believe the hypothetical narrative of Turkey doing the boldest thing a country has ever done. But simple logic essentially eliminates this fairy tale.

So I'll answer your question to goth. Yes this idea is dumb.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
The president and the associated body with the COG(continuity of government) are the only ones who can arm those nukes I think.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

What about taking the 'bombs' apart? Couldnt they do that and use the uranium and other metals for their own uses?

Or would it simply just explode?

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:28 AM
link   

I believe that's where the idea of dirty bombs come from, they can take the uranium and pack it into a standard bomb

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Well if Erdogan tries to lay his sticky little mitts on the nukes located there they could always detonate them and blame it on Turkey.

The way said nation is acting right now who knows whats on the cards???

I mean a NATO nation that has military coups is crazy but as many times as Turkey has in the past 80 odd years is down right scary if you ask me.
edit on 31-7-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Turkey can't launch the nukes. Not to mention that are at Incirlik under US control.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

I'd like to hear from some Turkish deniers of ignorance.

The situation seems so convoluted; is it a conflict of interests, religion, or is it another case of an uprising against totalitarian rule?

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Building a nuclear bomb is no difficult task. It is remarkably easy if you have the materials required. The delivery systems (missiles, primarily) are much more complicated.

Though you do have to remember missiles aren't the only nuclear delivery system. Artillery shells and regular free-fall bombs can have nuclear warheads. The Soviets developed a 1-kiloton nuclear shell for their 152mm artillery systems (and everything bigger), the US did the same for it's 155, 175 and 203mm guns.

So Turkey getting a number of these bombs, and then rebuilding them themselves so they can be used wouldn't be a massive undertaking by any means.

Nuclear bombs can't release a nuclear explosion unless they're armed. They can be blown up quite harmlessly (if people nearby are wearing NBC suits that is)

edit on -050007am7kam by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

Building a nuclear bomb is no difficult task. It is remarkably easy if you have the materials required. The delivery systems (missiles, primarily) are much more complicated.

Though you do have to remember missiles aren't the only nuclear delivery system. Artillery shells and regular free-fall bombs can have nuclear warheads. The Soviets developed a 1-kiloton nuclear shell for their 152mm artillery systems (and everything bigger), the US did the same for it's 155, 175 and 203mm guns.

So Turkey getting a number of these bombs, and then rebuilding them themselves so they can be used wouldn't be a massive undertaking by any means.

Nuclear bombs can't release a nuclear explosion unless they're armed. They can be blown up quite harmlessly (if people nearby are wearing NBC suits that is)

This would lead to yet another question then.. If trying to disband these nuclear devices which from the sound of it, would simply blow up at that point, then one has to ask, what were they doing there in the first place, we're talking 80- nuclear bombs. The whole thing just doesn't add up unless you come to the ultimate conclusion that Turkey's fallen out with USA and now there all power tripping. Perhaps the West didn't see this coming, and now Turkey's on the verge of going ballistic.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
S&F Maybe we should suck up to Putin and ask him to fix this for us simply because everyone we deal with in the mid-east ends up wanting to kill Americans !

Turkey is a beautiful country ran by an idiot whose idea of a happy Turkey is himself in charge of the Turkish version of the Muslim brotherhood and sharia for everyone.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Erdogan is positioning away from NATO and Saudi Arabia and cozying up to Putin.

I don't really have much to go on...a hunch. Plus I realize that Russia and Turkey haven't been the best of friends over the years...but hey, things can change. Stranger things have happened.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

From what I can tell they are there for "deterrence" from Russia.

Other than that, I have no clue as to why they would be there. In the massively off chance that a nuke would be needed on a ragtag group of desert people waging war in used Toyotas with a machine gun in the bed, I would imagine it wouldn't take much to park a sub in the Mediterranean to launch a few at them.

So really, there is no real, good explanation to have them there.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic

From what I can tell they are there for "deterrence" from Russia.

Other than that, I have no clue as to why they would be there. In the massively off chance that a nuke would be needed on a ragtag group of desert people waging war in used Toyotas with a machine gun in the bed, I would imagine it wouldn't take much to park a sub in the Mediterranean to launch a few at them.

So really, there is no real, good explanation to have them there.

Yes that's my feeling as well.. So basically, Turkey is getting the raw end of the deal from this. If Turkey and the USA fall out, Turkey is stuck with Nukes in their back yard, which is being controlled by the US. I'm sure that can't feel too safe, especially for the Citizens of Turkey. They'd be the first to go should a nuclear strike hit. It almost feels as though Turkey was never truly thought of at all, just a Pawn in the never ending chess game called War.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
There is nothing turkey can do to the US in that base or those nukes that won't see them bombed into the stone age. We have been fighting dudes in robes out in the desert and haven't unleashed anywhere near our real power in these engagements. Now if Turkey started some # we would actually have a real army to target. You would see them get wiped up and down the floor in about 3 days...especially considering we have 2 carriers in the area. Also pretty sure they would have some contingency plans to get our guys out of there too.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

No they won't blow up. They can't be detonated remotely. They are not strategic nuclear weapons or backpack nuclear weapons

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I wonder how much $$'s those would fetch on the black market ? Turkey was running the stolen oil for $$ so if those nukes had a buyer then that may be a option ...just saying

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
There is nothing turkey can do to the US in that base or those nukes that won't see them bombed into the stone age. We have been fighting dudes in robes out in the desert and haven't unleashed anywhere near our real power in these engagements. Now if Turkey started some # we would actually have a real army to target. You would see them get wiped up and down the floor in about 3 days...especially considering we have 2 carriers in the area. Also pretty sure they would have some contingency plans to get our guys out of there too.

Yes but that would also be the beginning of the end for America too. It wouldn't be an isolated event. It wouldn't just be Turkey vs the USA or Turkey vs NATO. This would spill over and threaten Europe, the Mid East and parts of Asia.

Americas problem is overconfidence and not being very good at winning wars.

A common saying about Americans is 'All the gear, but no Idea'.

I don't support Turkey's step backwards and the rise of Islamic threats, but I don't trust the USA either. Both are dangerous, corrupt and cocky and both need to pipe down. We've all had enough of war-mongering America, we've all had enough of militant Islam too.
edit on 31-7-2016 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Turkey can't launch the nukes. Not to mention that are at Incirlik under US control.

Launching is one thing getting their hands on weapons grade material is another. The package can be retooled to another arming device.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

No they won't blow up. They can't be detonated remotely. They are not strategic nuclear weapons or backpack nuclear weapons

Ok.. so then there's the remote possibility that they could dismantle the nukes for whatever reasons,right? How would the US know if they had? Other than satellite, but even then there are ways around that too.

If they became a sworn Enemy to the West, simply tossing a bomb right over those babies would be a disaster in itself, i think the entire country and some, would be flat lined instantly creating a chain reaction with Russia and China, being neighbors.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join