It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Fukushima in New York? This Nuclear Plant Has Regulators Nervous.

page: 1

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 11:48 PM

In the new documentary Indian Point, currently in select theaters, filmmaker Ivy Meeropol uses the plant to get into both sides of the nuclear debate. Meeropol, who is also a director on the upcoming second season of the National Geographic Channel series Years of Living Dangerously, tours both Indian Point and Fukushima. She profiles plant workers and executives (Entergy cooperated with the film) along with antinuclear activists, environmental nonprofits, and former chairman of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) Gregory Jaczko.

Though she says seeing the inner workings of the plant was “reassuring,” Meeropol still found many disturbing details. “All these people who work in a nuclear power plant, basically their main job is to make sure nothing goes terribly wrong,” she says. (See photos from Fukushima's eerie ghost towns.)

I've believed for a long time that the writers of The Simpsons were trying to warn the world (or perhaps prepare the world) for nuclear power plant disasters to come.

On The Simpsons:

A cawing crow is heard in nearly every establishing shot of the power plant

The black crow is a symbol of cunning, death and war so it is believed when someone sees a crow that it is a sign that change is coming. This change can be anything from a new beginning for the person or a sign of impending death for someone the person knows.

The Simpsons: Minutes to Meltdown

It is the playable character Homer Simpson's job to prevent a nuclear meltdown that Plopper (aka Spider Pig) somehow causes. Homer can pick up donuts and Buzz Cola to restore his health. Playable environments include the Simpsons house, outside the Kwik-E-Mart, and inside the nuclear power plant.

In my opinion, the message is that once humanity gets to the level of being a bunch of Homer Simpsons walking around, the world and the nuclear power plants in our care are in serious trouble.
edit on 31-7-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 12:23 AM
Dont think they get too many category 8 earthquakes with combined mega tsunami's up around those parts.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 12:25 AM
a reply to: Profusion Nuclear power plants are scary, I watched Silkwood and am sickened by this power source...I think the movie is based on real life, not sure...
My elder friend, a woman I worked with and for, studies medicine and she says correct amounts of iodine protect one from nuclear contamination.
I would post on benefits of iodine, but I'm too tired...seaweed in its natural state is probably the best form, instead of supplement form.
I haven't watched the Simpsons in like twenty years... maybe I check them out, thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 01:19 AM
a reply to: Profusion

The detriments outweigh the benefits
of that facility at this point.
It is outdated and extremely dangerous
due to its location on the Hudson, fault lines, and proximity
to Millions of People and billions of dollars in private property.

Mr. Cuomo has attempted to have the plant
mothballed, but is up against investors and lobbiests.
(Obama and hillary's friends.)
I.P. supplies Westchester County NY and part of NYC with
electrical power.

I can assure you that there have been Many "Events"
over the years that the NRC would not like to discuss.

The alarming rate of breast cancer in women in this area
is the result. One of the highest levels in The Nation in fact.
Strontium 90.

This is publicly available information if one conducts thorough research.

edit on 31-7-2016 by Wildmanimal because: Typo / Correction

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 01:46 AM
a reply to: Profusion

Caw Caw.
You have a misconception of us.
I'm thinking of setting up a new movement called Black Crows matter.
We've been looked down upon and persecuted for 1000 of years. Why?
Yes. this conspiracy will end soon. Don't say i didn't warn you.

In all seriousness though.
I don't think the Japanese government helped at all in the early months after the disaster.
Their failure to recognize the importance of this accident only made things worse.
As for the seaweed. Make sure its not from the pacific.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 03:44 AM
Back when all the scares about terrorists infiltrating and poisoning our water and blowing up our nuclear plants I made a lot of calls to officials etc. Funny (not funny) thing is I live in Georgia-we don't have any nuclear plants; the closest one being in Chattanooga.

I wanted to get iodine pills but guess what? The drug stores don't sell them here and no one knew how to go get them.

I would like to know how to get them still and want to know why they arn't available.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 03:48 AM
a reply to: Justso Amazon? I can pm a link to supplement company..I have purchased supplements from Amazon...its good because they have thorough reviews, if I see hundreds of people buying something plus good ratings then my guess is that they are trustworthy companies.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 08:35 AM
a reply to: Justso

You can get them. Just do a little searching, they're actually not hard at all to get. If you're allergic to shell fish don't take them. Also if you need KI pills to actually do any good in the distance you're talking about from the next reactor, the world would have ended anyways. You see Radioiodide is a solid, it is particles in the air floating around hence why they do a 10 mile radius. It doesn't just envelope the entire atmosphere. It falls to the ground.

posted on Jul, 31 2016 @ 09:20 AM
Fission reactors are the most dangerous things ever built. In Belgium they refused to take an old reactor offline despite protests, the reactor eventually shut itself down when the automatic safety cut in.
Had they not worked, we would have had our very own Fukushima right here in Europe.....

Fusion research has been well funded both in black projects & open ones like the JET, ITER etc. The black project ones are powerful, reliable, and getting smaller every year. We could have had these in every town years ago, but hey it's a state secret.
Wind farms are a nice idea but in reality they are not reliable or efficient in the long-term, they cost too much to maintain.
Solar is gaining ground, and as far as 'free energy' goes it's the best bet for getting off the grid.

If you want to go deeper into the real meaning of 'energy' then there is enough of it in an empty cup to boil all the world's oceans. We are in a very dense energy/mass flux all the time, there are reactions involving many Gw happening right in front of you, 24/7. That's why the peeps at CERN & other places are having so much trouble with the simplest of tasks.

Heisenberg hinted at this in his 'uncertainty principle' because he knew you could not accurately pinpoint a particle in 3-d space, and tell exactly when it will be there. Big particles like neutrons tend to stick around, but the smaller ones have the annoying habit of disappearing & appearing at seemingly random intervals. If one was able to measure the energy flux at those moments one could see that an increase in energy is associated with the 'disappearance' of a particle, and vice-versa.

new topics

top topics