It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which version of the Bible should I pick? Advise me.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

originally posted by: stosh64
a reply to: NOTurTypical

The ISV is based off of the Textus Receptus manuscript also?

ETA: Missler is a great recommendation to watch before buying!

Good advice.

Yes, ISV is a Textus Receptus version. And in the NT it uses Messiah instead of Christ.

Thanks Noturtypical.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I recommend you learn about astrotheology before reading the bible. It will teach you how to decode the symbols and stories and you will see the bible for how its truly meant to be read.

Santos Bonaccii does a great job explaining astrotheology before he lost it and went all flat earther.
edit on 30-7-2016 by booyakasha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The Internet Archive has about all one could read in a lifetime and variants as well as writings and comment.

www.archive.org...

When you arrive at the site, go to the far right search oval and type in Bible. There are many formats, and it cost nothing.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Necrose

Learn how the guys that wrote it found the wisdom to do that. Everyone has access through the conduit of their soul.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Bookstores have rows of all different bibles. If the "word of God"... how can they be all different?

*From Google Blogger-"Drivin' Sideways in Detroit"
drivinsidewaysindetroit.blogspot.com...

"Go to the book store and ask for the Koran, and you get the Koran. Go and ask for the Bible and the cashier says "Which One? Which version and for which church?" If literally the very 'word of God', how come King James tossed a lot out? How can any man decide what does and doesn’t belong?

And didn’t the Council of Nicea many, many years ago, argue and fight and eventually toss a lot out? And before the birth of Christ, there were 3 versions of the Bible. It was decided by a group of around 70 learned representatives that out of the 3 versions, the world would go by the Babylonian version. The Philistine version was close to that, but the Egyptian version was very long and kept a lot in that the others had not. So today, basically we follow the Babylonian version.

We have a lot of different editions, versions and interpretations to choose from." "And just HOW can that be?"

I found this quite funny. Catholic, Methodist, Mormon, King James...and another 10-20 versions. Take your pick. Every-one has the same phrases and words..slightly different!

Good luck picking just one...better to read a few different ones for the full effect!

Peace

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Oxford Anointed with Apocrypha

Why? Because so many who consider themselves 'real' Christians hate it

I like that one.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I prefer this one.

Sir Francis Bacon edited the New King James version, and he was like the original Freemason. Go figure.
edit on 30-7-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

originally posted by: Raggedyman
No don't get the kjv, it's not modern English and hard to read
Go download some versions onto your phone or smart device, they are free

The NIV seems popular

Reading a bible is not always the best thing, it was written many thousands of years ago
You need to study the bible

I STRONGLY suggest not buying anything based on the Greek of Westcott and Hort, they were occultists. The NIV attacks the virgin birth, the blood atonement, and removes the last 12 verses of Mark.

I prefer the esv but it's steeped with calvinism, I am not sure the best, it's a bit of a scrum
I recommend a good study program, not just trying to read the bible
Confirmation bias and all that stuff

I suggest good old Bruxy cavey, he is a clear and very good teacher and has lots of good material

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Sir Francis Bacon edited the New King James version

Has anyone ever identified any specific changes that he is supposed to have made?
There were other Bibles around in all the other countries of Europe, so any differences would certainly have been noticed. So what were they?

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   

The one not copyrighted.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I find the Book of Barnabas , found in Turkey, interesting. The Pope wants it in the worst way.
Papal authentication, you know.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Bookstores have rows of all different bibles. If the "word of God"... how can they be all different?

"Go to the book store and ask for the Koran, and you get the Koran. Go and ask for the Bible and the cashier says "Which One? Which version and for which church?" If literally the very 'word of God', how come King James tossed a lot out? How can any man decide what does and doesn’t belong?

There are 4 manuscripts, the majority text and 3 Alexandrian codecies with a lot deleted.

And didn’t the Council of Nicea many, many years ago, argue and fight and eventually toss a lot out? And before the birth of Christ, there were 3 versions of the Bible. It was decided by a group of around 70 learned representatives that out of the 3 versions, the world would go by the Babylonian version. The Philistine version was close to that, but the Egyptian version was very long and kept a lot in that the others had not. So today, basically we follow the Babylonian version.

No, that's a myth. The Nicaea Council addressed the Arian heresy, settled on a date for Easter, and voted for bishops. Nothing to do with the Bible. And you're thinking of the 3 variants of the Talmud, that's not the Old Testament (Tenakh). The Talmuds are rabbinical commentaries and traditions.

edit on 7 30 2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
If you're going to read the KJV. I would purchase a Cambridge bible. It seems to be a bit better with punctuation and capitalization where it should be, which helps the reader. However, any bible based on the Textus Receptus is fine. Not because the TR is necessarily more accurate, but because it includes all verses, even those which are "questionable", which allows the reader to study those, and decide for themselves whether they should be there.

Have fun. It's a long read.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Well, adding to what you said. The reason I go with TR is because it includes things like the last 12 verses of Mark that the 4th and 5th century Gnostic manuscripts have missing, yet both Irenaeus and Hippolytus quote from those verses in the 2nd century. Meaning, they were deleted in Alexandria.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

Hey... I just passed the blog along. I thought it rings quite true.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Sir Francis Bacon edited the New King James version

Has anyone ever identified any specific changes that he is supposed to have made?
There were other Bibles around in all the other countries of Europe, so any differences would certainly have been noticed. So what were they?

"SHAKE" "SPEAR" is the only one I know about.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

This is a link to Esword program where you can also get about 30 english bible versions along with free dictionaries and Greek Hebrew concordance www.e-sword.net... There are also lots of free maps and commentaries .The program works well as you can compare the different versions or isolate a version . It has the strongs numbers ..makes for a good study tool and its free ....best of luck ..

eta ...as a example from Esword comparing Gen.1:1 Genesis 1:1

(ABP+) InG1722 the beginningG746 God madeG4160 G3588 G2316 theG3588 heavenG3772 andG2532 theG3588 earth.G1093

(ASV) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

(BBE) At the first God made the heaven and the earth.

(Brenton) In the beginning God made the heaven and the earth.

(CEV) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

(Darby) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

(DRB) In the beginning God created heaven, and earth.

(ERV) God created the sky and the earth. At first,

(ESV) In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

(GNB) In the beginning, when God created the universe,

(GW) In the beginning God created heaven and earth.

(ISV) In the beginning, God created the universe.

(JPS) In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

(JUB) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

(KJV) In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

(KJV+) In the beginningH7225 GodH430 createdH1254 (H853) the heavenH8064 and the earth.H776

(KJV-BRG) In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

(LEB) In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth—

(LITV) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth;

(MKJV) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

(RV) In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

(TLV) In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

(WEB) In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

(WEBA) In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

(Webster) In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

(YLT) In the beginning of God's preparing the heavens and the earth--

edit on 30-7-2016 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: booyakasha

I recommend you learn about astrotheology before reading the bible. It will teach you how to decode the symbols and stories and you will see the bible for how its truly meant to be read.

Santos Bonaccii does a great job explaining astrotheology before he lost it and went all flat earther.

Could you tell us a bit more about astrotheology? Books, links, vids...?

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

The bible is amazing. Now that we have computers and search engines, we can easily cross reference the meanings and translations of specific Greek, Aramaic, and Jewish words for their meanings ourselves.

Additionally, we can look for a specific word that may have multiple meanings that were used in other places in the bible in order to cross reference their definitions. No other generation has been able to do this with such ease. We can spend minutes researching what scholars had to take weeks or months or even years trying to find.

I agree, the KJV is probably the best "English" translation but to really understand much of the "context" of what you are reading, we have bible hub. See these examples:

Simply Google the verse or book / chapter you want to read or research. For this example I will use Revelation 12:1

Select the biblehub result or of course go the biblehub and search there:

biblehub.com...

Notice that you can cross reference multiple translations here. For additional information on scholarly commentary, repeat what you are looking for in google with "commentary" and select the bible hub result. Here you will find numerous commentaries to review and many times the specific meanings of the actual ancient text.

biblehub.com...

These are great tools to assist in your journey. So much new information has been discovered in the last few years as computers and search engines have made research easy by comparison.

See this as a beginning:

edit on 30-7-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

We have a lot of different editions, versions and interpretations to choose from." "And just HOW can that be?"

I found this quite funny. Catholic, Methodist, Mormon, King James...and another 10-20 versions. Take your pick. Every-one has the same phrases and words..slightly different!

Good luck picking just one...better to read a few different ones for the full effect!

Peace

The Council of Nicea did not toss anything out of the Bible and did not determine the "canon" of scripture.

... and before Christ, there were two main 'versions' of the Old Testament. The Hebrew Torah and the Greek translation (the Septuagint, so named because 70 scholars translated it). There were a few other versions such as the Samaritan Penteteuch (the first five book but translated into Samaritan and with some slight differences), some other Greek translations (Hexapla, Octapla & etc), and translations into Aramaic (called Aramaic Targums) which were probably started during the Babylonian exile. But these are not really as 'important' as the the Hebrew Bible and the Septuagint.

edit on 31/7/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join