It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which version of the Bible should I pick? Advise me.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I was thinking about buying a Bible for myself, even though I don't believe in God I may read it just for the so-called Educational purposes.
Which version of the bible is the best one?
Is King James Version considered to be the best one, or is it the most corrupt one (as some say)?

(Not really interested in American translations though)

So how is it? Any advice?

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Necrose

Well you started wrong, you need a mentor

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Oxford Anointed with Apocrypha

Why? Because so many who consider themselves 'real' Christians hate it

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I say the less corrupted by modernity, the better.

Stick with KJV. They haven't messed with it for a good 400 years now. It's not as readable as some of the more recent versions, but I think it's more poetic.

And when you read it, read it with an open heart, not trying to punch holes in everything. You will get much more out of it that way, whether you believe in God or not.
edit on 7/30/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

edit on 30-7-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
I say the less corrupted by modernity, the better.

Stick with KJV. They haven't messed with it for a good 400 years now. It's not as readable as some of the more recent versions, but I think it's more poetic.

And when you read it, read it with an open heart, not trying to punch holes in everything. You will get much more out of it that way, whether you believe in God or not.

Agreed, that would be my choice too, and good advice.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

edit on 30-7-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Fair enough, I will probably go for KJV. 😇

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Necrose
I was thinking about buying a Bible for myself, even though I don't believe in God I may read it just for the so-called Educational purposes.
Which version of the bible is the best one?
Is King James Version considered to be the best one, or is it the most corrupt one (as some say)?

(Not really interested in American translations though)

So how is it? Any advice?

The KJV is a fantastic version, it's the only one that is a word for word direct translation based off the Textus Receptus manuscript. The Alexandrian manuscripts are corrupt, many things were deleted from them in Egypt, stay away from translations based off those. I'm also fond of the International Standard Version, it's also a direct translation instead of a paraphrase and is easier to read than the KJV.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Watch this before you buy one, it will tell you some good info to make an informed decision, it'll also tell you some fascinating things that are found under the text, like the heptatic structure of the text.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

The ISV is based off of the Textus Receptus manuscript also?

ETA: Missler is a great recommendation to watch before buying!

Good advice.

edit on 7 30 2016 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
No don't get the kjv, it's not modern English and hard to read
Go download some versions onto your phone or smart device, they are free

The NIV seems popular

Reading a bible is not always the best thing, it was written many thousands of years ago
You need to study the bible

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Thanks, I will try the KJV and in case it would be very difficult to read I may opt for ISV instead.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The RSV is my standard study and quoting version. Modern language without changing the text too much.
Certainly you ought to steer clear of modern paraphrases; they try to make the text more "understandable", but the danger is that the translator misses the point and imposes his own meaning. If the original metaphors are translated more literally, you've got a chance to work them out for yourself.
At different times I was given the Jerusalem Bible and the NIV (somtimes nicknamed the "Nearly Infallible Version"), but I only use them for comparison when tricky points come up.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

The NIV seems popular

Reading a bible is not always the best thing, it was written many thousands of years ago

Great advice, I just found KJV for Free on iBooks Store for iPhone. Will give it a try and see.

link   

originally posted by: Necrose

Thanks, I will try the KJV and in case it would be very difficult to read I may opt for ISV instead.

Sounds good, you can utelize the ISV for free on your cell or a tablet, just Google. It's a free version online, I've had trouble finding it in Christian bookstores. You can get a KJV anywhere. If you're going to do serious study though and not just read it like a story, then you'll need a Greek and Hebrew Concordance/Lexicon, get a KJV that has Strong's reference numbers in it.

link   

Reading a bible is not always the best thing ... You need to study the bible

This.

It should be noted that the Bible isn't like other books, and should not be read as such. It takes time, pondering, meditation and prayer.

It is an active, not a passive process.
edit on 7/30/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

The ISV is based off of the Textus Receptus manuscript also?

ETA: Missler is a great recommendation to watch before buying!

Good advice.

Yes, ISV is a Textus Receptus version. And in the NT it uses Messiah instead of Christ.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

The NIV seems popular

I STRONGLY suggest not buying anything based on the Greek of Westcott and Hort, they were occultists. The NIV attacks the virgin birth, the blood atonement, and removes the last 12 verses of Mark.

edit on 7 30 2016 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Oxford Anointed with Apocrypha

I used to have one. Gave it away though to someone who didn't have a bible with intros. I've missed those particular introductions a few times since. Oh well, Wikipedia has some good introduction material.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join