It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS... File your return electronically for free... will you do it ( from ATSNN )

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
as reported here : www.abovetopsecret.com...

The IRS is making it easier to file your taxes electronically for free.

Will you do it ?

I have for the past 2 years, it's easy and I like it.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by elevatedone]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
my clients always ask if they can file electronically and if we do the direct deposit for them.

I always say no. Let me explain the rationale.

1. giving the irs any bank account information is dangerous. forget the hackers etc. If the irs thinks you owe them money and you dispute it, they can levy your account. it takes time for this to happen and it takes even longer if they have to search for an active account to levy. I know, you're thinking this is all reported to them. They are so outdated in there systems that it still takes them forever and a day to get anything done. giving them a direct link to your account saves them one major step. This is why, when you call them about an issue they ask you where you currently bank.

2. electronic filing has been found to have the most errors in reporting as well as the most intentional error reporting. The IRS stated a couple of years ago that they were going to focus on tis problem. Therefore, you might actually be raising the risk of audit to a higher than normal level. Granted, the IRS audits very few returns each year but why put yourself in a higher risk category if you don't have to.

It is only a matter of time before they require electronic filing. When that time comes I'll gladly do it. Until then, screw em. It saves them money (no interns to input the numbers) which they will waste on something.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
good info Crakeur...

the bank account that I use to get my return never has very much money in it.. it's a separate account that I keep $20-30 bucks in and use only for things such as this.

I never thought much about the audit factor, I guess I figure, if they're going to get me, they will one way or another...

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
like I said, the electronic filing is inevitable so, as long as you are above board, don't sweat it. the bank info thing is more bothersome to me. I'm not big on giving out my bank account to anyone, not even my wife. another thing to think about is if you mail your return out with the bank info on it and someone steals your mail (happens - I had a credit card issue last month thanks to a dick that stole my card and used it). they now have your ss# and your bank info.

also, if you prepare the return electronically, I would imagine there's a copy on your pc somewhere. a good hacker might come across it and presto, you've got credit cards you didn't know about.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I will continue to use a company that has a proven background. The efile system last year said i'd get back $200.00 fed and i'd owe $72.00 state. My tax lady got me way more on fed and on state I was due a refund as well.
So i'll stick to what works best for me

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I file my own tax online here downunder for free.
I think I've done that for the last 3 years, never had any problem with it.
Like someone else said if your above board there is really nothing to
worry about.

I never thought much about the audit factor, I guess I figure, if they're going to get me, they will one way or another...

That was my thoughts exactly

top topics

join