It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Machine To Grow Skin and Bones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
A team from Manchester University (England) are in the process of creating a machine that can print skin and create bones.
This machine looks to greatly improve health care if it is successful, surgeons will be able to create a 3D model of the damaged area and 'print' the new skin layer or bone to directly match the shape of the area that needs repairing.
Scientists are hopeful that such technology will someday have the ability to grow a much needed organ within a day, this could see an end to organ waiting lists and death relating to known weak or faulty organs.
Organs could be made to measure greatly reducing the risk of the body refusing transplants, thus vastly increasing the survival rates of organ transfer operations.
The machine itself works by storing human cells within a nutrient rich liquid designed to prolong the cells life. The cells are printed using a layering process, the skin 'print outs' can be made up of several layer of these stored cells.

news.bbc.co.uk
Scientists are developing an inkjet printer that can create "made to measure" skin and bones to treat people with severe burns or disfigurements.

The University of Manchester team say the inkjets will be able to "print out" tailor-made human cells to fit a patient's exact dimensions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well progress in medical science never ceases to amaze me, this technology looks as if its straight out of a science fiction movie.
The potential of such a machine is truely amazing, burn victims can be healed and those with seriously broken bones can have their bones replaced rather than partially mended.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by UK Wizard]

[edit on 19-1-2005 by UK Wizard]

[edit on 29-3-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Wow! I have an ink-jet printer sitting on my desk. I can just see an army of basement mad scientists rubbing their hands together and laughing maniacally at this very moment.

[edit on 05/1/19 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

join