It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland the cowardly...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I do! I kind of have to for a few reasons. 1, my grandparents were Scottish and 2, I married a lass from Dundee lol.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Haha I post in the Scottish threads because I find mild amusement out of doing so.
I've got close Scottish friends in real life, just the whinge bag Scots I can do without.

Your people had a Scottish wide vote to stay in the UK.
As a result of staying in the UK your people took part in a UK wide referendum and the UK voted to leave.
You choose to be in a club then you adhere to the collective rules. That is why Theresa May has effectively laughed at calls for another referendum for Scotland to leave the UK.
How many do you guys want before you make your minds up?!

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

LOL!

the regulations don't prevent over fishing. have you researched the common fisheries policy?

If you have then you'd know that they actually throw fish back in, it regulates the size of catches, size of nets, etc.

It also allows other EU members to fish in your waters...so how does this prevent over fishing?

You'd rather they catch the fish, then throw half of them back into the water...many of them already dead?

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
See what you're up against?

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
One thing I did just think of.

If Scotland does get another referendum for independence, does that mean that, if the stay within the UK, anytime Scotland has a problem with the government, they'll just have another independence vote?

It does kind of set itself up to make Scotland look like it's going to throw it's dummy out the pram anytime it doesn't agree with the U.K. majority vote, regardless if it's true or not. It's just the image it's very likely to give.

This ^^^

It looks exactly like that to me. Any dispute with a UK wide decision then "Freedom!!" or #IndyRef2/3/4/5, its pathetic.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: samerulesapply

LOL!

the regulations don't prevent over fishing. have you researched the common fisheries policy?

If you have then you'd know that they actually throw fish back in, it regulates the size of catches, size of nets, etc.

It also allows other EU members to fish in your waters...so how does this prevent over fishing?

You'd rather they catch the fish, then throw half of them back into the water...many of them already dead?

Well you LOL'd. I am now completely convinced by your arguments.

In case you aren't aware fish tend not to respect territorial waters. Do you really think individual countries all trying to regulate a shared resource is a better way?

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Ah well, the UK voted to leave the EU so the argument about that is moot now.

I still chuckle thinking of members who argued with me that 'dark forces' would never let us vote leave the EU, that it would be a fix like in Scotland blah. I guess they were wrong, perhaps it's just Scottish votes which get fixed.

Scotland decided to be in the UK. The UK decided to leave the EU...now Scotland is bitching and whining.
It is pathetic.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Haha I post in the Scottish threads because I find mild amusement out of doing so.
I've got close Scottish friends in real life, just the whinge bag Scots I can do without.

Your people had a Scottish wide vote to stay in the UK.
As a result of staying in the UK your people took part in a UK wide referendum and the UK voted to leave.
You choose to be in a club then you adhere to the collective rules. That is why Theresa May has effectively laughed at calls for another referendum for Scotland to leave the UK.
How many do you guys want before you make your minds up?!

What club are you a member of that doesn't let you cancel your membership? When I went to quit my gym they made all sort of promises about how much healthier I would be if I kept it on (hmmm this sounds familiar now I think about it). But even they didn't force me to stay be a member.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Well if you can't accept UK wide majority voting (which you chose less than two years ago) perhaps you shouldn't be in the club at all.
Like petulant children in my mind.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Ah well, the UK voted to leave the EU so the argument about that is moot now.

I still chuckle thinking of members who argued with me that 'dark forces' would never let us vote leave the EU, that it would be a fix like in Scotland blah. I guess they were wrong, perhaps it's just Scottish votes which get fixed.

Scotland decided to be in the UK. The UK decided to leave the EU...now Scotland is bitching and whining.
It is pathetic.

So what you are saying is that the brexiters got all their whining done in advance. Got you.

Bit sad that you think political disagreenent is bitching and whining. Still there is nothing compulsory about you reading about it.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

No, you invented added value to my clearly posted words.
I thought you were above that but hey.

Scotland voted to be in the UK, the UK voted to leave the EU, Scotland continues whinging and refuse to accept a UK wide decision. Yeah, leave the club if you don't like the rules.

Oh, and I'll read and comment to whatever amuses me...such as this thread.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

In case it wasn't so clear from the OP - I AM Scottish.

But, I know, a true Scotsman only desires to be free of government.

I like the irony of you using the 'No True Scotsman' fallacy, whilst actually talking about a Scotsman lmao.

No true Scotsman is an informal fallacy, an ad hoc attempt to retain an unreasoned assertion.[1] When faced with a counterexample to a universal claim ("no Scotsman would do such a thing"), rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it by rhetoric, without reference to any specific objective rule ("no true Scotsman would do such a thing"; i.e., those who perform that action are not part of our group and thus criticism of that action is not criticism of the group)

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

So clear up for me why decades of people wishing to leave the EU was legitimate protest and people wanting to leave the UK is whining?

Is it possibly just that you agree with one view and not the other?

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement

originally posted by: Snarl

In case it wasn't so clear from the OP - I AM Scottish.

But, I know, a true Scotsman only desires to be free of government.

I like the irony of you using the 'No True Scotsman' fallacy, whilst actually talking about a Scotsman lmao.

No true Scotsman is an informal fallacy, an ad hoc attempt to retain an unreasoned assertion.[1] When faced with a counterexample to a universal claim ("no Scotsman would do such a thing"), rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it by rhetoric, without reference to any specific objective rule ("no true Scotsman would do such a thing"; i.e., those who perform that action are not part of our group and thus criticism of that action is not criticism of the group)

en.wikipedia.org...

No true Scotsman would ever use such a fallacy.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

So clear up for me why decades of people wishing to leave the EU was legitimate protest and people wanting to leave the UK is whining?

Because y'all voted 55/45 to stay in the UK only two years ago!
How many referendums do you want? Annual event where we party on Buckfast and the finest haggis while blaming everything on England?

Honestly, if your people are going to demand an independence referendum whenever you disagree with a UK wide referendum then you really should leave the UK.
It is pathetic, I almost wish there was a vote in England, Wales and Northern Ireland asking "Should Scotland remain part of the United Kingdom?" I reckon the result would be interesting.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Staying in the EU and the threat that we would have to leave if independent was one of the central planks of the better together campaign. Sorry but leaving the the EU is a fairly major constitutional shift abd seems a pretty fair justification for a second Indy referendum.

If you want Scotland to be made to leave that is your democratic right. All you have to do is vote for a party that wants that. Funny thing is all the major UK parties want to keep Scotland in the union.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

In case you aren't aware fish tend not to respect territorial waters. Do you really think individual countries all trying to regulate a shared resource is a better way?

Sorry - I don't understand what you mean...

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I only care enough to amuse myself on a discussion forum, not sure how I'd vote if asked the question, I'd be drawn to vote that you leave the UK, if only because it would be an end to Scottish whinging and Sturgeon on English media.

Could be that keeping Scotland in the UK avoids having another land border with the EU which we voted collectively to leave in the UK.
I imagine there are many reasons why major parties support the current United Kingdom, and ensure that the per capita public spending on Scots is higher than anywhere other than Northern Ireland.
Yet still you whinge, so do one if you want, while amusing for online debate, the whining is boring as #.

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: samerulesapply

Some issues are better off dealt with collectively (environmental and fishing policies are just two fairly obvious examples) .

posted on Jul, 30 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I only care enough to amuse myself on a discussion forum, not sure how I'd vote if asked the question, I'd be drawn to vote that you leave the UK, if only because it would be an end to Scottish whinging and Sturgeon on English media.

Could be that keeping Scotland in the UK avoids having another land border with the EU which we voted collectively to leave in the UK.
I imagine there are many reasons why major parties support the current United Kingdom, and ensure that the per capita public spending on Scots is higher than anywhere other than Northern Ireland.
Yet still you whinge, so do one if you want, while amusing for online debate, the whining is boring as #.

There is certainly a lot of whining happening I will give you that...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join