It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Russia Plans Stalin Monuments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Russia plans to build several new monuments to Josef Stalin for the 60th anniversary of World War II. The former communist leader's images have been largely absent from Russia's public square since the 1960s when knowledge of the millions who died in prisons and gulags under his leadership came to light. The locations of the new statues are reported to include the Belogorod region in central Russia and in Crimea, Ukraine. The city of Moscow has denied reports that a statue will be built in Moscow.

www.mosnews.com
A monument to Joseph Stalin will be erected in Moscow to commemorate the 60th anniversary of victory in World War II. It will be unveiled before the holiday on May 9, Moscow senator in the Federation Council Oleg Tolkachov told the Ekho Moskvy radio station.

Another monument of Stalin will appear for the same reason in the Belgorod region, in Central Russia. The regional Union of War Veterans proposed erecting that monument, Interfax news agency reported. At a session of the Belgorod committee organizing the victory celebrations, it was decided to add the sculptures of two WWII marshals to Stalin’s monument: Georgy Zhukov and Nikolai Vatutin who was from the Belgorod area. Stalin, Zhukov and Vatutin will be portrayed examining a map together.

In the Crimea, Ukraine, a monument to Stalin, Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill will be erected to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Yalta Conference.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although Stalin was an ally against Hitler's Third Reich in World War II, he wasn't a much better figure himself, killing millions under trumped up political charges or as part of ethnic cleansing. Also, the plan to build a monument in Ukraine is interesting following the victory of western-leaning Ukrainian president-elect Viktor Yuschenko. I fear this is yet more evidence of Putin's Russia slipping back into dictatorship or perhaps even communism and may again threaten its neighboring countries.

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.mosnews.com

[edit on 19-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Damn, the further we advance the behinder we get, or something like that. I won't believe it til I see it. I can't believe there's a Russian alive who doesn't havea relative killed by Stalin. He even killed his own relatives. WithHitler it was the Jews, with Stalin it was anybody. Given a few more years his body count wouldhave been unbeatable.

Say it ain't so Russia.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
They should have put the thousands of Stalin monuments into storage for recycling at times like this.

Waste not, want not.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Why do they have to build several new monuments to Stalin why not just fix some of the ones at Fallen Monument park in Moscow.

Personally I think Stalin was a monster killing millions but hey If they want to spend their money making statues to the guy thats their choice I guess. They do look like a pretty nice bench though as is.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by ShadowXIX]

new topics

top topics

join