It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Drinking Water Aboard Airliners Worsens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
In a round of testing that took place in November and December of 2004, 17% of randomly tested airliner water supplies tested positive for coliform bacteria. Tests in August and September showed that 12.5% percent of airliner water supplies tested positive for coliform bacteria. Coliform bacteria is harmless, but is considered to be an indicator of other more harmful bacteria. No airliner tested positive for E. coli, which does cause illness. An airline spokesman said that airliner water is as safe as the municipal water supplies from which it is drawn.

www.comcast.net
Drinking water aboard the nation's airliners is getting worse, not better, despite government-ordered sanitation improvements, the Environmental Protection Agency said Wednesday.

About one in six airliners in the latest round of tests conducted in November and December had drinking water that failed to meet federal safety standards, EPA said. Similar tests in August and September showed the water in one in eight aircraft testing positive for coliform bacteria.

The latest round of testing produced positive results for presence of the bacteria in 29 of 169 randomly selected passenger aircraft carrying domestic and international passengers. The tests were done on water from galley water taps and lavatory faucets on planes at 14 airports throughout the United States.

The coliform bacteria _ usually harmless itself but an indicator of the possible presence of other harmful organisms _ was found in the planes ranging from small commuter aircraft to jumbo jets is usually harmless by itself. None had E. coli bacteria, which can cause gastrointestinal illness.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As if there aren't enough perils associated with air travel, now we have to worry about the water supply. It should be noted that testing airliner water from lavatories could influence results because there is a more likely chance of cross contamination. Personally, on those occasions when I have to fly, I'll stick with the diet 7up, even though the results of the testing, according to EPA officials, aren't sufficient to cause panic.

Related News Links:
www.suntimes.com

[edit on 05/1/19 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Has anyone ever drank water on an airline that wasn't bottled?
That water is probably just for washing hands and flushing toilets.
I've only had Orange juice or sodas myself.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I agree, anytime I have asked for water it's bottled water that is given out. I don't think any reasonably sane person would even think about drinking the "tap" water in an airline.

I'll stick to beer and wine on the plany myself ;-)

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Galley taps were also tested where presumably water would be drawn for meal preparation and coffee making. The findings of this study are not nearly as dire as the AP headline would indicate, as even the EPA states that there is no cause for panic.

Here is how the ATA covered the story:

www.airlines.org...

[edit on 05/1/19 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The story says that the bacteria detected is harmlessm but is often an indicator of more harmful types. Maybe they should have tested for these then instead?

E-coli gets a mention (which can be very nasty), but none was detected.

Storm in a teacup!

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
That's why always sit in first class sipping champagne!

I wish!

new topics

top topics

join