It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity indicator on student report cards?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Texas lawmaker wants body mass index listed

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Texas school districts would be required to include the body mass index of students as part of their regular report cards under a bill introduced Tuesday by a lawmaker seeking to link healthy minds with healthy bodies.

When the measurement, which calculates body fat based on height and weight, indicates a student is overweight, the school would provide parents with information about links between increased body fat and health problems, said Democratic state Sen. Leticia Van de Putte.

"We should be just as concerned with students' physical health and performance as we are with their academic performance," she said.

Eric Allen, a spokesman for the Association for Texas Professional Educators, said most parents don't need to be told their child is overweight.

"It doesn't have a place on a report card," he said.

www.cnn.com...

this is just wrong in my eyes.... what do you guys think ?

I have a daughter, she's 12 and slightly overweight, I can see that, her mom see's that... I don't need the school telling me this...

We're talking with her working through this... her mom is changing her eating habits and helping her undesrtand about trying to be healthy, not just look "thin or nice"....

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I'm shocked, (well not as shocked as when I read about it this morning) that something like this could get passed, I mean sure if the child in qeustion is grotesqeuly overweight and medical problems occur because of it they should do something, but if there only mildly over-weight its not the schools business in the matter.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I think the schools are out of bounds on this.
Let's make kids feel even more self-conscious and put the mark of obesity on their report cards.

Wouldn't it be better to get rid of the USDA pyramid insted and teach kids PROPER nutrition?
Getting rid of starchy, high fat processed cafteria foods?
Kicking Coke and Pepsi off campus?
There's lots of proactive thngs schools and do.
This isn't one of them

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I think this is ridiculous and an outrage. However, it is true that obesity is affecting more and more kids and something needs to be done about it.

But not that--that will just make more problems. How about cutting school lunch for kids that are overweight?

Just kidding. But seriously, fat kids just need to get out more and do stuff.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I have to disagree on getting rid of the soda, Recently my school got rid of the soda machines, saying they want us to be heakthy, a week later they installed two candy machines and an IceCream machine.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The only obesity index needed here is for fat headed power hungry monsters who seem to appear like medusa.

Proposals are best applied to pressing needs, for example requests to fix roofs, to obtain the newest and best text books. In the case of society the lesser and lesser of needs that fulfills some new expansion of powers, seems to happen all too frequently.

It is time to return to concepts of exigency rather than bird brained nonsense like this, and to leave people alone.

[edit on 21-1-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkipShipman
The only obesity index needed here is for fat headed power hungry monsters who seem to appear like medusa.

[edit on 21-1-2005 by SkipShipman]

Amen brother....
: this is all about someone's political agenda...

My daughters school ever tries this, I'll fight it....

Antoher thing.. what would this do to the kids.... you know that the "small" kids are going to find out about who got the "report" on the cards and there's a whole new temptation of harrassment......

arghhhh

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
My gosh, this is so rude. Kids are already growing up messed up this is going to just help them along. If everyone was the same the world would be so dull.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
yeah....

let's say you're a student at this school, would you want to see this on your report card... what would that do to you ?

Do you need to be told that you're overweight ?

I don't think so.

[edit on 21-1-2005 by elevatedone]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The obesity index has been around for a long time even when I was a kid and you need to think about it a little more. We live in a very unhealthy nation where nearley 2/3 of our children are overweight including my own. What these people are doing may be what it takes for some of them to live long happy lives and not die early due to weight related issues. Parents need to face the reality of what they have done to their children by not learning to say no and not feeding them healthy food. When you add that to the fact that they spend hours playing video games and watching TV rather than playing outside and running around riding their bikes like we used to. I had a hard time not being fat when I was growing up and I was going nonstop on my bike. Our fat index came to us on some report sent out like 2 times a year and I hated to see it and yes I did feel bad when I saw it. My parents would lecture me on how I needed to control my weight for my own good and as much as I hated them then now that I am almost 40 I know just how right they were. Try to understand the theory behind what these people are doing is correct in trying to save these childrens lives.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Attention:

There are only 2 reasons a kid is fat:

1) Bad parenting. It is easy to provide a good diet even on a reduced budget. Ask my wife, she's been doing it for years on next to nothing. Sometimes we even had to get food from the church and still we managed to feed our kids properly.

In this case, parents don't need to be told they suck because they never listen.

2) A medical problem. Believe it or not, this is very rare no matter how many parents try to tell you they have this problem or that.

This does not need to be on the card either as they might be doing all they can and might discourage the poor kid.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
We're talking with her working through this... her mom is changing her eating habits and helping her undesrtand about trying to be healthy, not just look "thin or nice"....

One of the reasons why I love my mom so much is because she was a hardcore health nut on us when we were younger.

That meant no twinkies in our lunches no joe louis, no half moon, no lunchables, but a healthy sandwhich some yogurt and a fruit. That was IT.

Nobody wanted to trade me my lunch so I had to eat it, but I thank her now because she taught me that good nutrition habits are essential to your bodies well-being.

However in Texas, it is not up to the school or anybody else but the parents to legislate and grade of all things how fat they are. They are paying to go to that school to learn and get a degree not to learn their grades went down because their fat.

That's just so wrong.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I believe that the school is not trying to regulate the eating habits of children. Rather, modern American society has indeed become fat. I belueve that simply this fact, coupled with the sudden splurge of new and easy diets (Atkins and South Beach) that experience rapid weight loss at risk to health, negate the fact of schild obesity. It is indeed up to the child themself to motivate their own health, but unfortunately sometime a child must be urged on by parents, and there are many (too many if you ask me) parents who simply dont care about the childs health, or if they do, they are horrible at encouraging the child to their own health. I was clinically obese two years ago, weighing in at 210 pounds at five foot two. However, i managed to overcome my own wall of fat through school amazingly, school sports in particular. I believe that school can influence a child's weight loss highly, and influence people to understand that obesity is in fact UNNATURAL, in that animals (and humans ARE animals), are NOT naturally obese... it violates the laws of nature. The school's attmepting to bring to the attention of the parents this unnatural phenomena, due to easy access to food that is accepted as "tasting good" (such as fatty fires and fast food). So, indeed, i think society as a whole has become spoiled and fat, with no cause to excersise any more, and the only motivation of being skinny being looking good, not personal health. I am a sixteenyear old boy, and my view is simply this: if someone is fat, but they motivate themselves to become healthy, then leave well enough alone, and only coach them along while they struggle. BUT if a person is fat, and blames it on other people, and takes high offense to being called fat, THEN it is time to enforce responsibility for their own predicament, and GIVE THEM A MOTIVE to lose weight!

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well this is pretty shocking to me. As it turns out, putting down a kid because they're overweight ususally doesn't get the positive response that one would expect. However perhaps it's time that parents relize that their kids need better eating habits and more exercise. True, putting it on report cards isn't the best way to go about this, perhaps the parents need to be notified in some other fashion.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Not everyone realizes that his/her is overweight, they might just think that their child is a little chubby, so this is a good thing for them.

How about underweight? There are lot of teenagers around that are underweight and the line between underweight and looking slim is very fine. So this helps in that case too.

Surf

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
In my part of the country very few teens are underweight. In fact the only underweight people are those who don't exercise but have good eating habits, or anerexic girls who think they're fat.

So I don't think that being underweight is as big of a deal. Personally I think that the best way for parents and kids to understand is to talk with their doctor the next time they go for a checkup.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The old body mass index... never worked out, since it tries to frame everybody in one particular condition. People come into a wild variety of shapes and there are some that are simply heavily built, other who tend to become human tanks because of their physical activity and genes, etc. I understand the need for healthier eating, but this is going to far. The body's your own, it's up to you what you do with it. If you want to self destruct yourself through compulsive eating, go ahead. The nanny state is going too far, next we'll ear about the need to "cull" senior citizens that need too many medical attentions...

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Uh, you can be 5'10 and 250lbs and be healthy, it is called muscle. My freind is a freaking walking muscle, he bench presses 500lbs 10 times every morning to help wake up. I on the other hand... am overweight, but I actually fall under medical. I was skinny, then car accident, internal bleeding, spleen removed. Spleen is part of digestive system it turns out and my metabolism slowed, way down. Kinda cool though, a slice of bread keeps me full for a day, but then I gain ten pounds off of a 2 ounce slice of bread.... very annoying.(not literally 10 pounds, but it annoying I eat once a day and can't get under 200lbs, gotten close, but my weight does not change, 205lbs for the past 3 years, tried diet, excercise((besides the normal bike riding and 40lbs weights)) and nothing, I can't lose, or gain, any weight.) Does the index account for muscle?\

Or cousin, he 6'4, 340lbs(approximately) and he is, as someone said, a tank. He was a lineman on his college football team. He isn't "overweight", he is in great shape, he does have fat on him, but like from the Fat Albert movie, where you got Albert racing this skinny dude, Fat Albert may be fat, but not out of shape. Like me, I bike everywhere cause gas costs to much, as long as it is withing 10-15miles I can get there easily, I may not look like some guy on the cover of Mens Health, but my walking muscle freind can barely run let alone bike cause he has no stamina.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
yeah....

let's say you're a student at this school, would you want to see this on your report card... what would that do to you ?

Do you need to be told that you're overweight ?

I don't think so.

Some people do need to know that they are overweight. Well it's either that or they appear on Jerry Springer in a few more years. "Jerry Jerry Jerry."

Everyone being the same??? The only thing that could come out of this is that more people would be attractive. Fat people are more likely to be abused than anyone else. Come to think of it Fat People are also on the same page as the disabled. The only difference being that Fat People can do something about it.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
No one researches the vile food that they put into themselves, and that is their own fault to be honest with you.

If people want to get fat, fine, but making fat kids (and I mean the very fat ones) barring actual medical problems is:

as I've said many times...

CHILD ABUSE.

But this is America, so no bruses no problems.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join