It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your choice for the greatest concert of all time?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
My choice is Woodstock (1969). It seems clear-cut to me so I think it will be interesting to see if there are differing opinions on the matter.

The Woodstock Music & Art Fair—informally, the Woodstock Festival or simply Woodstock—was a music festival attracting an audience of over 400,000 people, scheduled over three days on a dairy farm in New York state from August 15 to 17, 1969, but which ran over four days to August 18, 1969.

LINK

Why did I pick Woodstock (1969)? It was probably the peak of the hippy movement. I have great admiration for that view of the world, being an anti-conformist myself.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Yes, I agree.

It is sad to consider that all of that energy and spirit of the time, just faded from existence as the hippies eventually transformed into little worker ants.

They won, the hippies lost.

Nice world view though.

P

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

The New Years Eve concert at the now defunct Pontiac Silverdome would be my choice. Metallica/Ted Nugent/Sevendust/Kid Rock. It was the 99/2000 NYE as well!

I would love to compare to Woodstock 69 but I wasn't even alive.

I also have my unused ticket for Woodstock 99. My ride fell through so I couldn't attend.
edit on 29-7-2016 by JinMI because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion
Not sure if I could say it is the Best, but the first Concert I ever saw was in the Boston Garden in 1971. I was so excited. Tickets were $3.50

Credence Clearwater Revival with support acts Booker T and the MG's and Richie Havens.
Someone sent me a bootleg recording of the Concert a few years back.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I couldn't possibly choose just one having seen so many through the years. I'm already enjoying this thread and will keep checking back. Thanks!

edit on 29-7-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I would have to say Judas Priest, Opening act Cinderella in, I'm going to say 1986 or 87 in Toledo Ohio. I knew and loved every song by both bands, they were thrilling to watch, and the sound was extraordinary for what was basically a small venue for them at the time. I never wanted that concert to end.

The KISS reunion tour with Ted Nugent/ Skid row was a very close second

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I'll say the Smashing Pumpkins during the MCIS tour in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

That or when RATT came to town when I was in high school. I was so into them in those days. Ahh, good times.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mymymy

Sports Arena?

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: bringmecoffee

Yep, RIP to it too. The site of so many great concerts

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Texas Jam 1978. Aerosmith, Nugent, VH, cheech and chong and plenty more. It was HOT as Hell.
A close second would be Judas Priest's Screaming for Vengeance tour about 1983. Drugs are bad.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

edit on 29-7-2016 by ezramullins because: imadork

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
My choice is Woodstock (1969). It seems clear-cut to me so I think it will be interesting to see if there are differing opinions on the matter.

The Woodstock Music & Art Fair—informally, the Woodstock Festival or simply Woodstock—was a music festival attracting an audience of over 400,000 people, scheduled over three days on a dairy farm in New York state from August 15 to 17, 1969, but which ran over four days to August 18, 1969.

LINK

Why did I pick Woodstock (1969)? It was probably the peak of the hippy movement. I have great admiration for that view of the world, being an anti-conformist myself.

www.youtube.com...
Of all time? I'm not sure, but for me personally, I would have to say Black Sabbath summer of '98 at V.A. Beach ampitheater.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Actually probably TIED w/Sabbath for me would be GWAR's first show in there home town of Richmond VA in 15 years after they were banned from playing! This was in '02 if I remember properly. It was shear perfection. Alley Katz in Shockoe Bottom over sold by at least 200 people, I was up front the whole time Red with fake blood and Pee and Bile and Beer and deaf for two days!😁 GWAR WOMAN was even there breathing fire and almost burnt the faces off of the people on the balcony above the stage! They played almost the entirety of "Scumbags of the universe" I saw GWAR many times but that show was incredible.
edit on 29-7-2016 by 191stMIDET because: Typo

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfusionI have to go with this one...

Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring
On May 29, 1913, in Paris, Les Ballets Russes stages the first ballet performance of The Rite of Spring (Le Sacré du Printemps,) with music by Igor Stravinsky and choreography by Vaslav Nijinsky. The intensely rhythmic score and primitive scenario -- a setting of scenes from pagan Russia -- shock audiences more accustomed to the demure conventions of classical ballet. The complex music and violent dance steps depicting fertility rites first draw catcalls and whistles from the crowd, and are soon followed by shouts and fistfights in the aisles. The unrest in the audience escalates into a riot.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring 1913

Damn, how old are you????

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I imagine that if I'd been able to be at Woodstock, I'd have voted that the best hands down. I was 13 at the time, and just peripherally aware that it was even happening. Since then, I've watched and enjoyed it dozens of times.

My favorite concert was ELO in 1976. The Fusion tour. There used to be a youtube of the full concert, but alas it has been pulled for no reason that I can discover. They were just SO tight, and exactly like the album(s). The string section was perfect. Everybody was perfect. They ROCKed.

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Black Sabbath at the Fox Theater in the 70s

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
the havana jam probably

en.wikipedia.org...

Havana Jam was a three-day music festival that took place at the Karl Marx Theater, in Havana, Cuba, on 2–4 March 1979. It was sponsored by Bruce Lundvall, the president of Columbia Records, Jerry Masucci, the president of Fania Records, and the Cuban Ministry of Culture. The festival included, on the American side, Weather Report, the CBS Jazz All-Stars, the Trio of Doom, Fania All-Stars, Stephen Stills, Billy Swan, Bonnie Bramlett, Mike Finnigan, Kris Kristofferson, Rita Coolidge and Billy Joel. The Cuban acts included Irakere, Pacho Alonso, Zaida Arrate, Elena Burke, Orquesta de Santiago de Cuba, Conjunto Yaguarimú, Frank Emilio, Juan Pablo Torres, Los Papines, Tata Güines, Cuban Percussion Ensemble, Sara González, Pablo Milanés, Manguaré, and Orquesta Aragón

forget about woodstock. ill take monterey

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 29-7-2016 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Best one I ever saw was at Donington in the 90s...Slayer, Pantera and Machine Head all on the bill, friggin awesome.

There's loads that I would've loved to have been at though, woodstock is up there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join